Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,853 times

Advertisements

God, I miss California! At least the way it was when I was growing up. I've been away since the late 90s, but still miss it. I know we can't go back. Too expensive, and it was changing too rapidly anyway, too many problems there. Even if we could go back, it wouldn't be the same.

Is anyone here a CA native? Do you miss home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times
I'm from California and have been here for 5 years.

I miss my friends, but not the state. New Mexico has much more to offer: four seasons, friendly people, incredible vistas, manageable traffic, and affordable houses.

I take an AM walk 5 times a week and marvel at the Sandías every morning.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM

196 posts, read 591,089 times
I'm a native! Moved out here late 90s also. I miss the beach! I'm from Southern California, Orange County. But I agree with nmguy, the seasons here are great. And when we honeymooned, we went to California, and 2008 summer we vacationed there again. Any excuse to get me back to see the water- that's what I miss the most.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:19 PM

519 posts, read 1,696,696 times
I am a native, and I've been here since August 2008 for my PhD. I had never been to NM before, and Albuquerque is a larger city than where I'm from, but it's not too bad ... kinda grows on you. Of course I want to go back to CA! We'll see where I get job offers when I'm on the market in 2011-2012.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Yes native Californian. What do I miss, lets see...30 million people? Layers of smog? Dirty beaches? Wildfires every year? Constantly clogged freeways? Overwhelming corporate control everywhere? Malls, malls, malls, malls? Bombardment about whats happening with worthless celebrities? Superficial Orange County housewife plastic surgery laden primadonnas? Illegals under every lightpost and outside of every Home Depot? Practically non English speaking at every restaurant register?

NOT

Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Born there, lived a few years there in the dessert as a kid, visit family there often - don't really miss it to be honest. Have the wide open spaces here that I enjoyed there, so I'm a happy camper.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinonGirl View Post
God, I miss California! At least the way it was when I was growing up. I've been away since the late 90s, but still miss it. I know we can't go back. Too expensive, and it was changing too rapidly anyway, too many problems there. Even if we could go back, it wouldn't be the same.

Is anyone here a CA native? Do you miss home?
Born and raised there (SoCa) but lived all over the state. We left (job change) early 1980s and hate to even visit anymore. It has changed. When we left 2 of our 3 kids said they would return as soon as they could. Ask them now if they had the money would they more back to Ca? Both would say, you must be off your rocker..

What about it do you miss and how long has it been since you lived there? Where did you live in Ca.???

We don't live in NM anymore either. We love living in the hills of AR (no we are not Arkies, hillbillies or rednecks)

Nita

Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
So... slack-jawed yokels?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 18,089 times
Like many others, don't miss CA either.
When I visit for holidays, it just doesn't seem like home anymore. Just there to see family and satisfy some food cravings (In-N-Out, carne asada burritos - but Federicos are pretty good, Jack-In-The Box)
Love ABQ (especially green chiles).

Old 01-26-2009, 07:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trblemaker View Post
Like many others, don't miss CA either.
When I visit for holidays, it just doesn't seem like home anymore. Just there to see family and satisfy some food cravings (In-N-Out, carne asada burritos - but Federicos are pretty good, Jack-In-The Box)
Love ABQ (especially green chiles).
watch out mentioning InandOut, some in ABQ don't think they are anything special. We love um, best fast food in the world. This is what so many don't realize, it is still Fast Food..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque