U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 AM

90 posts, read 167,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman7 View Post
I would visit the schools if I could, Poncho_NM. But, I currently live in North Carolina and was trying to get some information about the best schools for my kids before I decided to pick them up and haul them out to NM. We do not have dress codes that are that strict here and I didn't understand the point of it all. I don't know if I don't like the school board in Rio Rancho because I'm not there, in person, to find out. I was depending on you people to fill me in before I relocate. I understand that the people of RR had their chances to decide on the dress code. I did not have that chance. And I'm concerned about moving there because I don't know what the "good folks" of RR are going to decide is best for me and my kids next.

I am not lazy - I am very involved in my children's educations - that is why I bothered to research the test scores - that is why I bothered to ask about the dress code. I don't think the first graders here feel much peer pressure to wear a High School Musical T-shirt versus Hanna Montana jeans. My kids just like to wear regular childrens clothing from Target that also happens to be pink and purple.

I think it's being more lazy to just accept the misguided decisions of the parents/school board and not question their purpose or validity. I do care about the quality of education for all the kids - that's why I wonder if the RR parents/school board cares more about what color my son's polo shirt is today rather than if he really understood the math lesson of the day.

It seems that the people in RR are too concerned with making their kids think that they live in a idyllic world community where we all dress in the same drab clothing, and learn and love together in peaceful harmony, and skip through fields of daisies - when they should be preparing them for the real world.

I would try to be more positive, but I just don't have time. I'm waaay too busy being negative. I think the world needs more negativity because I'm kind of tired of all the rainbows and unicorns that positive people try to make us believe in. With no negative, there can be no positive. And think about this - my negative sarcasm got you to grace us with your self-righteous opinion.

To conform is human - to differ...divine.
THATS RIGHT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM

13 posts, read 24,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggggies View Post
Why do you freakin' care? In the end it's clothing? Is it not? I'm thinking RR wouldn't like your kind...and I'm not a native! I think RR and ABQ rock! You seem like our "friends" who think their child should go by the rules and...I probably shouldn't finish. I wish you and your children the best!

You seem to be a rebel...and in all honesty...I rarely "go with the flow".
I "freakin' care" because if the underlying reason for such draconian rules is to mask some kind of civil discontent, then I don't want my kids being educated in that environment. I can understand dress codes for high school kids who wear halter tops, low-hanging jeans, etc. that show off all their parts, but for elementary school kids?! I hardly think a pink t-shirt is going to offend anybody.

And if my kids might be knifed for wearing a pink t-shirt to 2nd grade, then there might be a problem. If there isn't a problem like that in RR, then why the strict control over clothing? Parents should be concerned about improving the educational offerings of the school, not enforcing ridiculous dress codes like it's a police state. I would hope that most parents know how to dress their elementary school aged children appropriately for school without having to follow a complicated flow chart of acceptable clothing combinations where you have to wonder if a 50/50 cotton blend shirt will pass inspection by the school warden.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:02 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,358,629 times
I think the question of the dress code could probably be answered best by a PHONE CALL TO THE SCHOOL DEPARTMENT!

I look at it this way, the kids will have a dress code in middle and high school, so why not start them right off having one. I do not see it as a "problem".
More and more schools all over the country are implementing dress codes.
Heck way back when I was in school, girls were not allowed to wear slacks.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,467,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I think the question of the dress code could probably be answered best by a PHONE CALL TO THE SCHOOL DEPARTMENT!

I look at it this way, the kids will have a dress code in middle and high school, so why not start them right off having one. I do not see it as a "problem".
More and more schools all over the country are implementing dress codes.

Dang, Alison. You're old.
*ducking and running*

Old 01-31-2009, 06:03 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,358,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Dang, Alison. You're old.
*ducking and running*
Yep, old and tired. LOL
Actually junior year we got a new headmaster and he set more relaxed rules. Girls could wear slacks.
Anyway, I have nothing at all against dress codes. I would rather see kids dressed all the same, then a whole group of them wearing someone's name plastered all over their behinds. Dress codes do eliminate some peer pressure for those kids who's parents cannot afford to buy the designer duds.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,412,885 times
Call me weird, but I like uniforms better than dress codes. Its easier. I had uniforms in lower and middle school and a dress code in HS. Conforming to a dress code and still trying to "look trendy" was hard on my high school student budget. It would have been simpler for them to say - polos in x, y or z color, and khakis or navy pants - here's a company to order them from.

Now that I have kids, I would be thrilled if the school went to polos in the school colors, or school spirit tees, and jeans. (Jeans seem to be more comfortable and hold up better than the cotton/poly navy pants).

I don't know what the RR dress code is but IMO when it becomes so complicated that a parent needs to carry it around with them and refer to it when laying out clothing for school, uniforms are the way to go.

I know the outcry over uniforms, even just the shirt idea I like, would be too much. I really liked wearing a uniform. I went to school in a city where you could identify the other kids and where they went to school by their uniforms. It was kind of a pride/school spirit thing. Maybe I am a freak.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM

747 posts, read 1,187,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Gee...girls were not allowed to wear slacks when I was in school either. So, they wore mini-skirts. And there I was sitting in biology class, and totally immersed in biology, so to speak. I should have been listening to the teacher, but I couldn't help but think about Gloria, sitting next to me, with the long, blond hair and the girdle that was longer than her skirt. That's why I'm so dumb today. I think I'll sue Gloria...if I can find her.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Holy crap. What BS. Yeah, I believe in dress code, as far as suitable clothing that covers what it needs to and is inoffensive. But not allowing pink and purple? Anyone know any gangs who show those colors? Especially in elementary school. PUBLIC elementary school. A uniform appearance does not a better student, or person make. If it did, then the *catholic schoolgirl* wouldn't feature so prominently in lewd and laviscous (sp) media, then would it?

Oh Gollum, what a fantastic idea! I presume you're funding the switch to a different school district for those families? Houses and everything if need be?
First of all, the comment was not suppose to be a slam, I was stating a fact that she always has the option to choose another school. As far as your reply it makes absolutly no sense. Why would I fund such a switch, I pay my taxes for these schools that my children no longer attend (graduated), every has an option to send there kids to what schools they want and to live where they want. Oh and nice light you put on the catholic school girls.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,845,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Oh and nice light you put on the catholic school girls.
Wonder how she knows such things?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,467,165 times
MIKE! You horrid man. lol
Go to the Frontier and eat some green chile stew. Then tell me how it was. Oh wait. That's punishment for me. Oh well. Give me a while, I'll think of something.

Gollum,
Unless things are vastly different in NM than they are here, children must attend school in the district (and here, the specific town i.e. due to the way the county is chopped up, I drove past one elementary school two minutes from my house to take my younger two to one ten minutes away) they live in, no exceptions- unless you want to pay for private school. There are no choices other than take it, pay for private or homeschool. Hence my comment about you funding a move for various families.

Oh, and the light on catholic school girls? I didn't flip that switch, I merely brought a long-standing stereotype to the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque