Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,775 times

Advertisements

Soggy,

I hope you enjoy the GON. I will really miss it this year. I don't know if you have your tickets yet, but you can order them on line and save yourself a lot of time in line to get in. You can purchase them ahead of time and pick them up at the "will call" booth. Have fun!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
We plan on attending if we can. I have not been to this event in the past.

Rich

Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 AM

429 posts, read 1,476,700 times
We had a great time at the GON. Great fry bread!!! We were there from about 3 PM until 8 PM. We did walk thru the vendor tent and got some screaming deals on Zuni fetishes. The dancing & drums were amazing but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had really understood the meaning behind each dance. Perhaps they told that before the dances would begin but my Mom & I sat next to a man who was quite the chatter box and it was just so loud (and HOT) in the Pit that I couldn't hardly make out what they announced at any rate. Song - I don't know if it would have been 'spiritual' enough for you as the venue was enoromous and oh so crowded. Plus I think being in competition (just my opinion here don't yell at me for it) makes it not quite as spiritualistic as if it had been for an actual ceremony... But it was still extremely moving to watch and hear the drums and chants (I finally stopped boo-hooing about the fifth or sixth dance). Some of the costumes were absolutely amazing... and I don't see how they did NOT pass out in them - it was pretty warm in the arena. The grand entry was terrific (running out of adjectives here) - unbelievable the amount of dancers they could get on the arena floor - I imagine there were some nervous fire marshalls there last night!!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:10 AM

And I have no idea why my paragraph breaks are not being 'honored' - so sorry for the 'run-on' paragraph!!! It was typed as more than one, I promise!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM

170 posts, read 648,468 times
Well the women traditional and jingle dancers are lucky, they carry feather fans that work better than paper ones =P. As far as dancing goes you really want to come back to GoN tonight around 8 to see all the adult competitions, you'll really get a feel for the dances and how they're supposed to be when it's the actual competition dances. I really wanted to be there for the women's hand drum but of course I have to pick my mom up at the airport when it's supposed to be taking place . Oh and the hoop dance is tonight also I believe, it's a really fun dance to watch. Anyhow I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Glad you enjoyed yourself Soggy.

As far as paragraphs, sometimes mine run together too even though I separate them. Don't know what's up with that but things like that usually don't bother me anyway.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Hoppy... my Mom will be so disappointed to have missed the Hoop Dancers - she really wanted to see them. Was the actual agenda of all the dances in the program? We didn't purchase one, and their (at least what I saw) website was vague... There's always next year! Maybe we can meet up and you can be our 'dance instructor'. LOL

Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM

170 posts, read 648,468 times
Since I got VIP tickets I got a "free" program. It listed the general events of each day like which categories were dancing when (like tiny tots at 1 on Saturday). It also listed special hosted dances like the women's side jingle on Friday. So yeah it stated what time the hoop dance was supposed to be. If you want to get the DVD I'm pretty sure it will be on there, and no I'm not a part of merchandising for GON Lol. Anyhow I'm really glad you enjoyed yourself, it's always nice to hear/see the reactions of people who have never experienced GON before. I find that once you go to GON it's hard to avoid going the next year if you have the means to get there. I grew up going to GON and after I was relocated to Connecticut I missed GoN And New Mexico in general SO much, I'm just glad I'm able to go again. I hope you're able to make it out next year.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,843 times
If you'd like more info on the Tipi Retreat in Stunning Montana check: Tipi Lifestyles
or Travel Heart - Home Page and the Native wisdom Page.
This event will begin July 26 thru July 30

Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,528 times
Default Albuquerque Pow Wow - Gathering of Nations

It looks like fun; I think I'm going. Who's been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque