Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:45 PM

361 posts, read 1,089,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I'm guessing that ChicagoChad, has second thoughts about moving to ABX after his visit there. It shows one thing, he's atleast got good taste! lol lol lol
For crying out loud - is this really necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 12,489 times
I would stay in Chicago lol, the midwest is much nicer. The winters are cold here even considering I lived on the Canadian border for 14 years. Hardly any snow, but freezing anyways. It's really windy here in the spring, but Chicago is the windy city so you're probably used to it. Get ready for lots of petty crimes like having your car broken into 6 times over the course of 4 months (in nice areas...I'm not even talking about the ghetto area). This city is poverty stricken, English is the second language in many areas (I don't even wanna get started on this). Health care is in many ways lacking. The school systems applaud their 60% graduation rate. Traffic is always backed up, it's like no one works. ABQ can be pretty, like at sunset or when it's cloudy it looks really cool on the mountains. It does have outdoor activities. I wouldn't ride my bike on the street if someone paid me, too many people have told me their hit and run stories. There are different morals here than in the midwest, different, not better.
PS-No, I'm not being ignorant. If you compare midwest cities to ABQ a 5 year old could tell you the things I just told you. Having lived in several places in the US, I can tell you ABQ is by far the worst out of them. Don't know why people wanna live here, I can't wait to move!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM

361 posts, read 1,089,636 times
valleylilly34: I live in Chicago, and I've lived in Albuquerque and I know for a fact that the winters in Chicago are much more severe than they are in ABQ. The winters in ABQ are practically what spring is like here in Chicago.

Also, many of the statements you claim in your post are fallacies that usually sound appropriate only when they come from the unfiltered exclamations of "a 5 year old".

Sure, ABQ is not for everyone, but obviously it's a terrific city if it keeps appearing on top ten lists in many magazines and readers polls, etc. If it only appeared in a couple of these lists that would make most people question it, but it's a city that appears on numerous lists, many times each year - evidently many people believe it's a terrific place.

Sure ABQ may not be for everyone, and obviously it's not for you. You should really consider going back to where you feel more comfortable, or finding a place where your happy - if it's within the realm of possibility for you.

Last edited by casden; 06-21-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 09:22 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,034,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleylilly34 View Post
... The winters are cold here even considering I lived on the Canadian border for 14 years. ....

... No, I'm not being ignorant. ...
OK. How about ___WRONG___?

I grew up in Ohio. For the geographically-challenged, that's a state on the
Canadian border. It's not even the coldest part of the border.

A bad winter day in Albuquerque is roughly like a normal winter day in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleylilly34 View Post
I can't wait to move!
I see the problem. You have difficulty making plans/decisions.
Do what I did. Pick a place. Then go there. Stop waiting.
You say you "can't wait," but obviously, you are ( waiting ).

Ideally, pick a place that you will like. This step in the process was
obviously not taken when you made the move to Albuquerque.

Oh, and note how much easier my post is to read than your post.
I use line breaks for effective communication.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:01 PM

4,820 posts, read 4,728,734 times
Since pittsteelerfan continues to refer to ABQ as ALb or ABX (a great Detroit radios station in the 1960s), I expect that s/he has never been here.The place you live is whatever you make it to be.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM

I know what cold is, I grew up having temps as cold as 70 below with windshields. Once its past 32 its just cold. All I am saying is that people think ABQ is warm in the winter and to me personally, 30-40 is not warm. Its still cold. You still have to wear a jacket. So...if you want somewhere warm, move to florida.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Oh, and Mortimer, I do know where Ohio is believe it or not, I know the graduation rate is only 60% here...but they did teach us our states and capitals. Some just don't have the luxary of picking a spot and moving on a whim. It's just not possible for me for a few years hence the term "can't wait," I can't wait for that day. (I did not choose to live here, but was forced to move in mid school). But if you like ABQ good for you, you're lucky you found a place you love, some of us aren't as lucky and have to keep on lookin.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:47 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,187,891 times
Keep on keepin' on.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:05 PM

741 posts, read 2,915,916 times
Uh.... windshields?

(Sorry. I just couldn't resist jumping in on this train wreck.)

Chap

Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,435,759 times
Well, imagine how much colder it would have been without windshields!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque