U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,512,823 times
I keep thinking about what will there be out there for me? But what I have failed to realize. What is there out there for my kids? Just from reading most of the threads. There are plenty of activities for my kids. I thought when we moved out of NYC I would be bored to death. Since living north of NYC for the past two years not being near to anything. We've done very well. So moving to ABQ would actually be a big plus in my books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,926,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
I keep thinking about what will there be out there for me? But what I have failed to realize. What is there out there for my kids? Just from reading most of the threads. There are plenty of activities for my kids. I thought when we moved out of NYC I would be bored to death. Since living north of NYC for the past two years not being near to anything. We've done very well. So moving to ABQ would actually be a big plus in my books.
Have you ever been there before? If so, how much time did you spend out there? Leaving a town in Upstate NY, is alot different than leaving a town out West. The Northeast is WAY more dense than the West. When I say it feels like you've dropped off the face of the earth, I ain't kidding.

Just look at those pics that the OP posted. You see how barren and dry it is. To someone who's never seen it before (like when I first experienced the desert), I was taken back by it's beauty. That is, for 2 weeks, then it started to look ugly and I longed for the lush greenery back East.

Do what you want, just make sure you do alot of research before making a move clear across the country with kids. Alot of people that make moves like that, end up lasting about 3 years, then then head back home where they're from. This doesn't just happen in the desert places either, it happens in Florida all the time too. People have this perception, (I once was guilty of this myself) that somehow moving to a 'sunny' place with nice 'winter' weather is somehow paradise.

The reality is alot different than our perceptions though. Raise of hands here, who here ever went to Miami thinking that the 'city' of Miami was as gorgeous as the postcards? Big dissapointment right? Sure there are parts that are nice, but overall? Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. I found that out the hard way though........

Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 PM

3,058 posts, read 7,954,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I could never live somewhere that doesn't have "Pro Sports teams".
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
it is weird living in a city with no sports team
Just again to make a little correction:

There surely ARE "pro sports teams" in Albuquerque. "Pro sports" are professional sports teams eg: teams where the athletes are paid professionals.

Albuquerque has Triple A baseball, an NBDL basketball team, and a minor league hockey team. These are surely *pro sports teams*...(along of course with collegiate sports with UNM athletics).

What steelers is talking about I believe is no "Major league" sports teams - eg: NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
The reality is alot different than our perceptions though. Raise of hands here, who here ever went to Miami thinking that the 'city' of Miami was as gorgeous as the postcards? Big dissapointment right? Sure there are parts that are nice, but overall? Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. I found that out the hard way though........
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]Never been there, but I went from living in a city of over 8 million people to a village with a population of 4k. When I loved in the city, there was no such thing as a backyard. I'm not looking forward to mowing 2 acres of grass again for the 3rd straight year. I guess the point I was trying to make was. I thought once we moved out of the city my life would be ruined. It took me sometime not having big building to look at or not being able to jump on the train and walk around Manhattan or not being able to eat at a favorite restaurant. Never every place you will be perfect. Granted Iím about an 1 Ĺ hour north of NYC and I can honestly say I donít miss the city anymore. No regrets nothing. Moving out was the best thing to happen to both me and my family. We have now reached a point where we want to get out of the North East entirely. Will it be easy? Of course not, wasnít easy for my wifeís cousin who was born and raised in Brooklyn, like myself but he did it. Everyone has a different perception of what is perfect and what isnít. What works for me doesnít necessarily mean it will work for you and vice versa.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Just again to make a little correction:

There surely ARE "pro sports teams" in Albuquerque. "Pro sports" are professional sports teams eg: teams where the athletes are paid professionals.

Albuquerque has Triple A baseball, an NBDL basketball team, and a minor league hockey team. These are surely *pro sports teams*...(along of course with collegiate sports with UNM athletics).

What steelers is talking about I believe is no "Major league" sports teams - eg: NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB.
Hmm... Lets see. Last year I went to one Met game. Boring.... Haven't been to a Yankee game since a few years ago. Went to a Jets game 2 years ago. NHL game 5 years ago. Haven't seen the knicks. As a parent, paying out of the rear end to watch a professional sporting event isn't worth it IMO. I'd rather take my kids to a minor league game where everything is affordable and the make it worth your while. As long as I have my HD DirecTV with me, I'll be just fine.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:14 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,246,090 times
Quote:
Hmm... Lets see. Last year I went to one Met game. Boring.... Haven't been to a Yankee game since a few years ago. Went to a Jets game 2 years ago. NHL game 5 years ago. Haven't seen the knicks. As a parent, paying out of the rear end to watch a professional sporting event isn't worth it IMO. I'd rather take my kids to a minor league game where everything is affordable and the make it worth your while. As long as I have my HD DirecTV with me, I'll be just fine.
You'll love the Isotopes!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,096,804 times
Quote:
When I say it feels like you've dropped off the face of the earth, I ain't kidding.

I was taken back by it's beauty. That is, for 2 weeks, then it started to look ugly and I longed for the lush greenery back East.

Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. I found that out the hard way though........
Let's be very clear these are opinions, not facts.

I grew up in upstate NY and I absolutely love New Mexico and this is the last stop for me in my life.

What is true for one person is not necessarily true for everyone.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,127,084 times
Quote:
DO NOT DO IT! I'm serious, DON'T!

You will "feel isolated" there. That's the problem with the West, once you leave a city or town, it's like you fell off the earth or something..
So...I hook my pop-up camper to my hitch, leave my neighborhood and drive down Tramway. I head east on I-40 to Moriarty, then head south through McIntosh and Estancia. All of a sudden, as I anticipate the approach of Willard, I feel like I fell off the earth or something. And...I love it!!! I absolutely love that feeling!! You just hit on one of my favorite things about New Mexico.

It's an interesting planet...with 6 billion plus absolutely unique individuals.

Seriously, you really do have some valid points, especially with regard to the poster, since he was concerned about isolation. My guess is he probably would not like downtown Willard the way I do. Good post pittssteelerfan...and congrats on the Super Bowl!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,926,460 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]Never been there, but I went from living in a city of over 8 million people to a village with a population of 4k. When I loved in the city, there was no such thing as a backyard. I'm not looking forward to mowing 2 acres of grass again for the 3rd straight year. I guess the point I was trying to make was. I thought once we moved out of the city my life would be ruined. It took me sometime not having big building to look at or not being able to jump on the train and walk around Manhattan or not being able to eat at a favorite restaurant. Never every place you will be perfect. Granted Iím about an 1 Ĺ hour north of NYC and I can honestly say I donít miss the city anymore. No regrets nothing. Moving out was the best thing to happen to both me and my family. We have now reached a point where we want to get out of the North East entirely. Will it be easy? Of course not, wasnít easy for my wifeís cousin who was born and raised in Brooklyn, like myself but he did it. Everyone has a different perception of what is perfect and what isnít. What works for me doesnít necessarily mean it will work for you and vice versa.
First of all, there is such of a thing as a "back yard" in NYC. There are definitely people in the outer boroughs of NYC, that have "backyards". Now they ain't no 2 acres (that's country, or a huge lot for the suburbs) like you have now.

Do you understand the difference between living 1 1/2 hrs from NYC, and living in ALB? Have you been to ALB before? Do you understand what me and others are talking about "falling off the face of ther earth", when talking about leaving towns or cities out West?

My reference to cities that don't have Pro sports teams (NFL, MLB, NHL,etc), was how different 'towns' are that don't have them are. I was responding to the OP to begin with. 'Towns' and that's what they are, look and feel much different than 'cities' that have them. If you don't understand what I mean, you either haven't travelled much, or you just don't understand my point.

Maybe ALB is right up your alley, and you'll love it there. The OP on the other hand, I doubt will. He picked up on things there after a short visit, that were very accurate and he's starting to second guess his desire to move there. That normally happens after you've lived somewhere for awhile, not after a short trip there. This is a common problem (or mistake)with people who move to a place before ever visiting it first. Or don't make enough trips to a place before loading up the car and moving there. People tend to make their minds up about a place, before they really even allow themselves to see and get a feel for it.

The OP actually falls into a small % of people, who decide they want to move somewhere, then visit that place, only to rethink their decision. Most people show up with their eyes have closed, and only find out after moving and living in that place, that it really wasn't what they where looking for, or it wasn't the right fit.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
You'll love the Isotopes!
I'm sure I would. We use to go watch the Brooklyn Cyclones @ Coney Island park. Tickets were cheap but not the beer & dogs. Now where did I put that cyclone jersey @?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque