Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 PM

14 posts, read 43,390 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and our dog) are looking at relocating to Albuquerque in the spring. We both would like to rent a townhouse with a yard. We have been researching different areas and we would like to be close to bars/restaurants/bus line etc. We'd appreciate input (pros and cons) of living in Old Town. There is a townhouse close to Blake's Lotta Burger and Old Town Plaza that we are interested in. Just curious what the locals think of this area. We understand it wouldn't be for everyone, but would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 11:50 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,055 times
From my perspective, it tends to vary considerably from block-to-block, but I would not mind living in many of the residential areas surrounding old town. You really need to visit the area though - it varies considerably within a few blocks in any direction. Downtown, along with a number of bars/clubs etc along Central - are within walking distance. Old town itself is cool, but tends towards tourist oriented gift shops.

However, a major fault with the area is lack of a decent-sized grocery store within close proximity (though it is not a far drive to Smiths/Sunflower etc and word is downtown may be seeing a grocer soon) and quality of restaurants in this area tends to be spotty. Still, you'll find a number of strong, community oriented neighborhoods with great people in the vicinity of old town.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Depending on your definition of what's old town and what isn't, the Lowe's (a grocery store, not a hardware store) is a hop skip and a jump away at 701 11th St NW, near 12th & Lomas.

Pro's Ranch Market is a short Rapid Ride away at Central & Atrisco, also.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
And five minute's drive up Rio Grande Blvd. is a Montañita Food Co-op at Rio Grande and Matthew.

The people I know who live around Old Town love it there. The Rapid Ride buses add a lot of convenience but can attract a rough crowd, IMO. Walking between downtown and Old Town isn't real quick and you'll probably end up fending off a panhandler or two along the way. I agree that the area is very mixed, with high-end housing developments and ramshackle trailer parks, and everything in between, all jumbled together. Albuquerque eclecticism in full force.

You'll be near an interesting system of irrigation ditches called acequias which crisscross the whole Valley area and provide great routes for dog-walking and peeking into people's back yards. The museums in the area are interesting and I like several restaurants in Old Town (especially La Crepe Michele). It's fun to just hang out in Old Town Plaza, a nice mix of locals and tourists.

The Bio Park is another great area amenity, the Botanical Garden (no dogs allowed) has new stuff added to it all the time and is a peaceful place to hang out, and worth becoming a member so you get unlimited visits. Also the Bosque trail runs along the river, great for biking and easy access from Old Town.

Last edited by aries63; 02-15-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 PM

14 posts, read 43,390 times
Great information - thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque