Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 03:49 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,231 times

Advertisements

I purchased a Plasma TV at the beginning of November from Walmart - it was a Vizio and a bad move on my part because of its quality, I returned it a couple of weeks later and upgraded to a Sanyo LCD 1080p. This in the last couple of weeks has started to have issues, the sound cuts in and out, or there is no sound at all. Tried changing HDMI Cables and using different sources but the problems still exist. I know Walmart does a 90 day return/exchange but here is the kicker. I can't find the receipt, I did the exchange the day I moved into my new house and I just can't find the receipt anywhere.

Has anyone had any experience in returning items to Walmart without a receipt, I understand they are supposed to give you a store credit but have been reading some horror stories online where the staff treat you like you have stolen the item. I'm not one for confrontations so I thought I would ask here before I build up the courage to try and return it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
If you bought with a credit card, many stores (not sure about Walmart) will be able to swipe the card you used and recall the receipt.

If you bought with cash, that's going to be a bit harder. I'd still give it a try.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:11 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Go in and explain your situtation and see what they have to say.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
I have returned items without a receipt, nothing as big ticket as this however, and they have never given me any grief about it. I usually am wanting to exchange rather than get a refund. Lately, they have begun to force me to accept the refund on the walmart gift card and repurchase at the register rather than handle the exchange at the customer service counter.

On a side note, I am not sure why you felt the Vizio was inferior to the Samsung. I purchased a Vizio 42" Plasma from Costco several years ago and have been very happy with it. Several electronics magazines have given Vizio high praise for it's quality, picture and sound. It beat a number of Samsung and Sharp models in it's 2007 comparisons. Only Panasonic and the Sony Bravia beat it by a slim margin back then. Are the newer models that much different than the 2007 versions? I am going to be in the market for another tv in the next 6 months or so and had planned to get another Vizio.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the advice - the original Vizio was only 720p and I really wanted 1080p, I am happy upgrading and paying more, I read rave reviews on the Philips.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
I wonder if you can contact Sanyo directly to have it serviced under warranty (of course I suppose the existence of a receipt may be needed for that as well).

Old 01-23-2009, 09:21 PM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
Default Wal Mart purchasing and quality

I agree with johnrex62. I've had the same experience with returns/exchanges. Most everything ends up on a card to allow a repurchase. You can swipe the card used for purchase, and I always go in with my financial proof (bank statement with charge to Wal-Mart showing date of purchase and amount or card statement, whatever applies.). It's a little harder for them to give you flack if you can show you just spent the cost of the TV plus tax at that Wal-Mart within the last 3 months.

As for questions of quality, I used to live just south of Bentonville. I knew a lot of people that worked at home office. The buyers used to tell me they literally just hammer people at negotiations. You just can't touch Wal-Mart's volume. So it doesn't matter who you are, if you want on Wal-Mart's shelf, you're going to give them a price that absolutely cuts to the bone. They said some small companies would actually flirt with a loss just to get their name on the shelf, hoping the increased visibility would lead to profitable sales elsewhere. Some of the stronger brands had another way to respond. They would use their branding and name, but would make a 'Wal-Mart' special. Some thing(s) about the product would be changed to reduce cost allowing them to use their strong price point branding but fit Wal-Mart's price point. Or maybe the item normally comes with additional accessories that are quietly not included in the Wal-Mart version.

I wouldn't expect branding alone to be an indicator of quality if you're buying from Wal-Mart. I can't blame them, they're delivering exactly what most people want: low prices, ironically...at any cost. But there's a reason they talk about having the lowest prices...ALWAYS. They knew the minute they left the negotiation table that they cut a deal that the seller wouldn't cut with anyone else. To live with that deal the company delivering the product sells what is the lowest common denominator in their lineup. Even making minute changes like packaging that looks similar to other marketing, but actually holds slightly less (allowing a lower price point)

Finally, with TV's especially, if you look at the fine print next to the model marketed you'll often see a set of letters or numbers after the common model designation. The big box stores often get their own model designation for the particular model they carry. Lets say a Sony 42" Plasma HDTV. Circuit cit...whoops. CompUS... I mean, Best Buy might call it a SD42hrx while Sears might call it a SD42srx. The actual difference could be anything. A dropped menu feature. A piece of trim. But that difference in model designation allows them to do the much shouted "If you can find this model at a lower price ANYWHERE, we'll beat that price by 10%". Try and take advantage of the offer, and I guarantee a manager will be looking at the details of the model designation. Ok, I'm done.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 PM

Excellent insight into the power of Walmart Zia - I forgot to mention I paid cash!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 PM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
Did you keep the original packaging? I know it's bulky, but some people like to keep it in case they want to box it up to move. It will have Wal-Mart Sku's (Barcodes) and labeling, which should be good enough for an exchange.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:32 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Excellent insight into the power of Walmart Zia - I forgot to mention I paid cash!
Never pay cash for a big ticket item for that reason. If you lose your receipt you are SOL. A cancelled check or credit card receipt are invaluable.

My daughter had some parking tickets here in SF and went in and paid them and they keep sending her notices and summons for them. She paid cash and then moved afterwards and can't find the receipts. But it turns out they had record at the court that she had paid them, but didn't let the parking division know! A little OT, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque