Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,234,761 times

Advertisements

jobs!

I need the opinion of people who have btdt, or those who just live in the area and can give some insight.

We've sent resumes to mulitple companies that are hiring in Greg's field, with mixed results. One called for an interview, found out he wasn't a local yet and asked for a phone interview at a later date. Called the guy back twice and left messages with no response. Been asked to complete online assessments and applications, done so- nuttin' yet.

I think we should personally call and try to get a fax number, phone number, email, snail mail addy- anything! For the HR/DMs of various cell companies and get in touch. Book Greg a flight to NM and start getting interviews set up. He agrees with that part- we are simply running out of time.
Greg also, having seen the success of a friend's useage of a scout up here, thinks he may benefit from one as well. And hiring someone to redo his resume.

Thoughts on this? What methods do you think would work best in Abq?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,334,020 times
Hmmm hard to say. We put my husband's resume on Monster, and the next a.m. he got a phone call from ABQ. At first, he didn't think too much about it, as I had my heart set on Tenn. Then he decided to give ABQ a call just to see what they had to say...the rest is history.

I think your idea would work well. As you said, time is running out, so get that guy out here to pound the pavement now.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 PM

We've done Monster, Careerbuilder, Hotjobs- in addition to the resumes and applications we've put out.

Thanks, Alison.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,566,076 times
I sent out resumes about 3-4 weeks before my house hunting visit, stating when I'd be in the area for interviews (Oct) and when I'd actually be moving to the area (Jan). I ended up with multiple responses and interviews and had the job offer accepted before my October visit was done. I think it helped that I didn't expect employers here to pay for my move, that I was moving anyway.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Hmmm, good point Yukon. Perhaps the cover letter should better reflect that we're paying for the move ourselves. It does state the expected date of arrival, though. I really think flying him down is gonna be absolutely necessary.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,566,076 times
Can't hurt. You know there's interest, since you've had some bites. If you can swing a trip ahead of time, go for it. While he's here on the "hunting" trip, he can also sign up with agencies - they can be on the lookout for him. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:33 PM

429 posts, read 1,472,187 times
Default job hunting... sigh...

RRR - We started looking for jobs around the first of November and haven't had any luck so far. I've had one call back from a recruiting company but after the interview with them and reassurances that my skills are in high demand - nothing. Husband has had a couple call backs, one he actually interviewed with and is completing security clearance but no job offers.

We've posted on Monster, Careerbuilder, have applied directly to posts from direct websites, various job boards, etc. I am about to register with some of the temp agencies & husband already has but no calls there.

BTW - he's a mechanical design engineer and I'm a project manager/business analyst with most of my emphasis on software training. I'm guessing my resume sounds too too specific as it was a specific, specialized software I trained on... For husband, most want a master's degree - which he is going to try to enroll in this Fall.

I'm beginning to panic but hubby is still cool. Least we are getting to enjoy this magnificent weather!

Best of luck with you and keep us posted on how it turns out for him.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 AM

196 posts, read 589,699 times
I know this is probably lame...but there are always temp agencies to sign up with. Just to get something in the door. They have more than just receptionist jobs...

Last edited by Aliciac; 02-06-2009 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM

101 posts, read 297,084 times
I did an online app with a national cell phone company on Sunday, got a call on Monday and had a phone nterview yesterday. No word yet but I think it went well. We shall see.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Thanks, Soggy- I will. Do you think that maybe generalizing your resume more might help?

Aliciac- we've registered him with the only one i've found online that's out there- Snelling. I know there are some local companies, so I guess i'd have to call them directly. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Christylou- really? Were you applying for a sales or management position or call center/CS? We've applied to (I think this is all) T-mobile, Sprint, Alltel, Verizon, Qwest... and any indirects of theirs we can find. I wonder if his experience is scaring them off? He has 14 years experience as a general manager of up to six stores and a literal buggyful of accolades and merits to show for it. I just don't know. I hope something comes of this last round of emailing and faxing I did today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque