Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Thinking about buying an Albuquerque home. Is the area diverse ? What's the tolerance level for homosexual couples and glbt folks in general ?

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times

Advertisements

I am wondering. To you, based on your experience, do you think Albuquerque is conventional? How tolerant are you or people you know of people who are different or are in to doing their own thing?

Main Entry:con·ven·tion·al Pronunciation: \kən-ˈvench-nəl, -ˈven(t)-shə-nəl\ Function:adjective Date:15th century 1: formed by agreement or compact2 a: according with, sanctioned by, or based on convention b: lacking originality or individuality : trite c (1): ordinary , commonplace (2): nonnuclear 1 <conventional warfare>3 a: according with a mode of artistic representation that simplifies or provides symbols or substitutes for natural forms b: of traditional design4: of, resembling, or relating to a convention, assembly, or public meeting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Albuquerque... "conventional"???

catrinac, you better RUN. and HIDE. Run and hide... before EnjoyEP gets ya!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I am wondering. To you, based on your experience, do you think Albuquerque is conventional?
They have a nice convention center.

All the conventional stays there....

Rich

Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Albuquerque??? Conventional? I guess not!!!

And let me add, the question seems a little strange.....why do you want to know and what is YOUR opinion ???

Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
wow, you are all over the place with questions relating to people you think of as being a little different, in what why are you thinking different?

I would say, ABQ is pretty culturally diversified. Certainly not as artsy as Sante Fe or Taos, but not conservative if that is what you are suggesting. It is growing, attracting people from all over the country and other countries. If this makes it conventional yes.

I am not sure there is an answer to your question.

Nita

Old 02-07-2009, 04:42 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Albuquerque just seems different to me than it used to. It is because I have changed and have a different perspective I think. I moved up to Salt Lake which is has a wide conventional streak; ie, very family oriented, against individual expression, intolerant of those who are different or seeking new and different experiences, etc. While up there I realized that I in fact am the type of person who thrives on a more open, vibrant type approach to life. In the 90s I lived in Austin and Portland. Albuquerque has a wonderful artistic feel and is culturally diverse for sure. But there is something about the place, probably because of the staid Mexican influence (sorry if this offends some but it is true), that feels like it is not OK for me to just be myself and live my own life. I'm at a temp job where everyone agrees I'm the best temp at this job they've had but I won't get hired because I don't fit in with the office and am considered "welrd". Though I have no tatoos or piercings, do not wear head to toe black or have strange hair, these people have decided, I guess, that they don't like me and can't relate to me, and that I must either be "THAT WAY" (I have heard this tossed in to conversations constantly over the last month) or maybe even a bad person. I'm not married and would qualify as a drifter, something I'm not proud of, but god, I am not actively involved in a homosexual situation, do not have interest in that lifestyle, and frankly, am just kind of a product or some bad decisions. My point is I get the feeling that all of the sudden it's really not OK in Albuquerque to be anything except straight laced mainstream.

I meant to mention this earlier and can't resist. You same freaks who are now calling me "that way" on a daily basis are probably the same ones who solicited me for sex on Central when I first landed here 10 years ago. (I however never turned tricks) I'm older and not so pretty now I guess.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 02-07-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Albuquerque just seems different to me than it used to. It is because I have changed and have a different perspective I think. I moved up to Salt Lake which is has a wide conventional streak; ie, very family oriented, against individual expression, intolerant of those who are different or seeking new and different experiences, etc. While up there I realized that I in fact am the type of person who thrives on a more open, vibrant type approach to life. In the 90s I lived in Austin and Portland. Albuquerque has a wonderful artistic feel and is culturally diverse for sure. But there is something about the place, probably because of the staid Mexican influence (sorry if this offends some but it is true), that feels like it is not OK for me to just be myself and live my own life. I'm at a temp job where everyone agrees I'm the best temp at this job they've had but I won't get hired because I don't fit in with the office and am considered "welrd". Though I have no tatoos or piercings, do not wear head to toe black or have strange hair, these people have decided, I guess, that they don't like me and can't relate to me, and that I must either be "THAT WAY" (I have heard this tossed in to conversations constantly over the last month) or maybe even a bad person. I'm not married and would qualify as a drifter, something I'm not proud of, but god, I am not actively involved in a homosexual situation, do not have interest in that lifestyle, and frankly, am just kind of a product or some bad decisions. My point is I get the feeling that all of the sudden it's really not OK in Albuquerque to be anything except straight laced mainstream.

I meant to mention this earlier and can't resist. You same freaks who are now calling me "that way" on a daily basis are probably the same ones who solicited me for sex on Central when I first landed here 10 years ago. (I however never turned tricks) I'm older and not so pretty now I guess.
oh for heavens sake, you are constantly griping about something...get on with your life, you are making yourself miserable...

NIta

Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
I'm at a temp job where everyone agrees I'm the best temp at this job they've had but I won't get hired because I don't fit in with the office and am considered "welrd".
At the risk of ruffling feathers, has it occurred to you that maybe your attitude might be part of the problem, and your coworkers are too nice to be that blunt about it? You have to accept yourself before others can.

On the up side, one of the best things about working as a temp is it lets you try out the company to see if it's a good fit before any commitment is made. I've had tons of temp jobs over the years where I didn't fit. I just went on to the next one, until I found one that fit.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 PM

857 posts, read 1,733,386 times
Default Albuquerque Is It Conventional

Quote:
Albuquerque just seems different to me than it used to. It is because I have changed and have a different perspective I think. I moved up to Salt Lake which is has a wide conventional streak; ie, very family oriented, against individual expression, intolerant of those who are different or seeking new and different experiences, etc. While up there I realized that I in fact am the type of person who thrives on a more open, vibrant type approach to life.
Here in Flagstaff, where it is 12% Mormon (the 5th highest in the nation), I would offer the same observations, that you have, about Salt Lake City.

I lived in Albuquerque for much of 2007, and find the area to be more tolerant of individual expression compared to Flagstaff. I saw Albuquerque from the prospective of progressive Nob Hill. Do you see it differently from where you live? I agree, that Albuquerque isn't as artistic/tolerant/creative as Seattle, Portland, Austin, etc., but it is moving in that direction, especially as Mayor Chavez provides incentives for new entrepreneurs.

Fortunately, we have freedom of religion in the U.S., allowing people of like minded belief systems to congregate in certain parts of the U.S. (i.e. the Mormons in NV/UT/AZ/S.E. CA; the fundamentalists in the southeast, etc.). If one doesn't feel comfortable living in a town dominated by a certain religious group, we're lucky that as Americans, we can respectfully say goodbye to those who have different views, and move to another city.

Santa Fe, NM and Boulder, CO have very high "Bohemian" scores (Richard Florida) - i.e. a high concentration of artists, writers, thinkers, entrepreneurs, designers, etc. Albuquerque has a moderately high Bohemian score (about 130) compared to the upper 100's to over 200 in places like L.A., San Francisco, Boulder, Santa Fe.
Richard Florida Creative Class Scores.
Note Albuquerque has highest creative class score (965) among all medium sized markets:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...5.florida.html

Percentage of workers in Creative Class
http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/bestcities_sort/

No Bohemian score reference except from a blog post:
http://talkradiousa.tripod.com/talkradiohosts/index.blog/1785676/post-needs/ (broken link)

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 02-08-2009 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh for heavens sake, you are constantly griping about something...get on with your life, you are making yourself miserable...

Nita
amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque