U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-10-2009, 09:05 AM

1,759 posts, read 3,491,587 times
Default Good News for ABQ & Rio Rancho - Intel

Looks like Intel will be sinking serious $$$ into the Southwest. This is esp. good, considering they just slashed employment in many of their other locations.

Intel to invest $7 billion in U.S. facilities - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,864,510 times
That is very good news.

Unread 02-10-2009, 09:32 AM

1,977 posts, read 2,530,660 times
Default Excellent news.

Unread 02-10-2009, 09:53 AM

3,059 posts, read 7,531,386 times
GREAT news, Mr. Rankin! Wow, great news and find.

I was just out checking out the Cabezon areas of Rio Rancho (near Intel and the ABQ border) and what a growing, beautiful area. Some great deals to be found too, obviously right now in that area, with the huge hit to the real estate market. For a young, single buck looking at Intel in the area, they'd be set.

Unread 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM

147 posts, read 206,393 times
nothing more than getting us contractors back in there for about 18 months, No New Blue badge jobs just puting some contractors back to work.

Unread 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,410,431 times
ohyes claimed:

> ... nothing more than getting us contractors back in there for
> about 18 months, No New Blue badge jobs just puting some
> contractors back to work.

No, it's a commitment to the future. It means that the site has life left in it yet.
Almost no one has 18-month visibility for the future of their job. I'd love it if I did.

Intel has, basically, three sites in the US now. They are almost done closing a small Colorado Springs site, they are closing the manufacturing portion of the Santa Clara site and have a huge site (three factories) in Chandler, AZ and near Portland, OR (Hillsboro) (three more factories).

The Albuquerque site has two old closed factories and one closed pretty new one. From a cost standpoint, operating one factory - Fab 11x must cost a lot more than the other two basically identical factories they have (one in Chandler, one in Hillsboro) elsewhere.

I had a real fear that the NM site would close which would be really awful.

They might spend 18 months building it and hiring contractors for the construction, but there will be another 12 months of filling it up with tools which will also be putting vendor contractors to work.

It also means that there will NOT be more significant layoffs there for, at least, five years and possibly that they will restart Fab 11 someday.

Glass half full or half empty? Your call.

Last edited by mortimer; 02-12-2009 at 04:12 PM..

Unread 02-13-2009, 07:36 AM

1,759 posts, read 3,491,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I had a real fear that the NM site would close which would be really awful.
The loss of Intel would surely be devastating to both RR and Albuq, so I have to agree with Mortimer's assessment. And as I already stated, in light of Intel's cutbacks elsewhere, the fact that they're pumping that many $$$ into three facilities incl. Albuq, is a sign that they are committed to these sites, which in today's economic environment is very, very good news.

Points for you Mortimer, despite the fact that I am helping you beat me to the next rep point benchmark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque