Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM

86 posts, read 207,210 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
My family and I are life-long residents of MA. Though we love Boston, the cost of living and awful winters are driving us away. We are looking for a new start and are hoping to make the move during this upcoming summer. I have a Master's Degree in Early Childhood Education and was a teacher, but chose to stay home with our baby in 2007. My husband is a welder, and has worked with all metals, etc. We realize the economy is tough everywhere, but it seems a bit worse in certain parts. We originally planned on relocating to the Carolinas, but jobs are just unavailable. We have a teen daughter, who needs to be in place by the start of the next school year. I have some family in Albuquerque, so the southwest is our next place to research. We only can afford a home for around $100K, since I am not working. Does anyone have any ideas on areas that are family-oriented, with good schools, and receptive to "transplants" from the Northeast? Thank you in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
Since you have less of a concept of space than a local would, you may be able to find a $100k 1/1 or 2/1 home on the outskirts of the metro area. I'd still rent though, as this would turn your husband into an extreme commuter.

You might try a more rural part of NM than Albuquerque; the cost of living is lower, the cost of raising a family is lower, and wages for welding are about the same. In fact, some towns in eastern NM are in desperate need of them.

Since you're looking at an extreme change of scenery, I'd look a little further than Albuquerque. It may be more comfortable than Boston but there may be other locations more comfortable for your particular situation.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:05 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
You might be able to find a mobile home for under 100K in the Edgewood area and your daughter could try to get into the East Mountain High charter school, which, unless she is in band or sports, might be a better "good" school than Moriarty High. The elem schools in Edgewood are nice.

Other places where homes are that cheap - you might find something in Rio Rancho. You might find something in the SW quadrant of ABQ out on the west side south of I-40 (but I would not choose to live there).

Like Zoidberg said, if your husband will commute into Albuquerque, Rio Rancho and Edgewood can turn it into a long commute for this area, in not only time, but mileage.

I don't know anything about the career field but I would check into what Zoidberg said about other parts of the state.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:49 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,115 times
Coming from Boston, you're going to be in for a culture shock even in Albuquerque so I wonder if the more rural areas could be even MORE of one for you. If you want change, you'll get it. If I were you I would rent first, see if NM is for you and then buy. Cost of living is way lower than MA. As far as receptive to transplants goes, there are a lot of transplants in Alb, most of them from California. Though the local Hispanic population resents them sometimes, (mainly because some are viewed as snobbish and the cost of living rose because they could afford to spend more on housing having sold very expensive homes in CA) if you are friendly to people and show an interest in the culture, people will respond in kind. When I lived there I had a friend who was from MA who loved it but eventually left because she said she "wanted to get back to civilization." It really is in many ways the wild west. The weather is a piece of cake compared to what you're used to back east. And I really found it was the least stressful place I've ever lived - life is pretty easy in Alb. The pace is slow, people are friendly, it's easy to get around in - not too big, not too small - no real natural disasters to speak of - you're not bracing for the next hurricane, fighting your way through blizzards, or practicing tornado drills. Like any place, it has its good points and bad. I always felt that if you were not Hispanic you never really fit it there because it truly is a Hispanic town (I get ripped for saying that on this forum all the time but still believe it's true) but unlike south Florida, people are pretty honest there and you don't have to worry about some con artist trying to fleece you out of your last dime. I don't regret living there at all - I enjoyed most of my time there. Having said that, I don't regret leaving either, just wish I had not chosen south Florida. Good luck to you!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I suggest checking New Mexico Tech University in Socorro. Google their website. IIRC they have a fairly steady demand for mechanics, machinests, welders and similar tradesmen as well as a local demand for teachers. Socorro is about 75 miles south of Albuquerque.

I also suggest using the State of New Mexico website for all sorts of information. Also get a atlas form Benchmark Maps.

I am planning to retire to NM.

Last edited by GregW; 02-19-2009 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 PM

86 posts, read 207,210 times
Thank you all for your helpful info. We will ceratinly do our research. It is all so overwhelming! Hopefully my husband will find a job soon and we will be able to call a new state "home"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque