U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 PM

2,804 posts, read 4,337,315 times

Advertisements

Actually, confusing as it is, Las Lomas is a separate contiguous road from Lomas Blvd, as seen south of Lomas on University Blvd.

At one point, Lomas Blvd was called New York Ave. A little vestige of New York is still left further down Central next to the BioPark.

Interestingly enough, Lomas Blvd is marked as its own state road on some maps, even though now it lies completely within the city limits now.

Other interesting road name changes:

"Menaul School Road" shortened to Menaul Blvd.
"Highland Road" shortened to High St. (or perhaps Edith Blvd.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 13,608 times
Default This is the best Juan Tabo information around.....

Evidentally, the reality of who Juan Tabo is, is surrounded with legends, tales and no clear cut explanation of exactly who he was.

There is a lot of speculation on the source for the name. But I found this answer from a highly reputable source, Joe Sabatini:

This question is a hardy perennial at the Albuquerque Public Library. I compiled the following summary from available sources; it was later printed in the April/May 2004 issue of Albuquerque The Magazine:

Juan Tabo Blvd.

The following is from Stories behind the Street Names of Albuquerque, Santa Fe & Taos by Donald A. Gill (Chicago: Bonus Books, Inc. 1994)

“According to Marc Simmons 'Albuquerque: A Narrative History') the identity of Juan Tabo has not been satisfactorily determined. One legend says that he was a priest who lived nearby, but no such name occurs in early church records. Another story says that he was a sheepherder who grazed his flocks in Tijeras Canyon, a portion of which is designated as the Juan Tabo Recreation Area.

T.M. Pearce (New Mexico Place Names) says that on April 5, 1748, a petition designated La Canada de Juan Taboso as west of the Sandia Mountains. The Taboso Indians were akin to the Texas Apaches. Pearce also suggests that tabo is a Spanish word in the Philippines meaning “cup made from coconut shell.”

The name is also listed by Elsie Clews Parsons as one used by members of a ceremonial society at Jemez Pueblo, northwest of the Juan Tabo Canyon, according to Pearce.”

The following is from "Atrisco to Zena Loma; a Snappy Survey of Albuquerque Street Names" by Judy Nickell (Albuquerque, New Mexico: Caniama Press, 1995)

One of Albuquerque’s most mysterious street names is Juan Tabo (…extended discussion of various pronunciations…). “La Canada de Juan Tabo” appears in a 1748 document. It refers to what is now known as Tijeras Canyon. … Who was Juan Tabo? Was this a real person? A group of people? A tribe of Indians? A coal miner? A shepherd? A priest? There are many legends, but nothing has turned up in black and white. ( …reference to T.M. Pearce research… ). It is conceivable, he wrote, that “Lipan Taboso” could have evolved into Juan Tabo.

Tabo is also a nickname for Octaviano.”

It seems to me that since there is no conclusive answer, and people believe that there must be one, we ought to make one up. This occurred to me in a conversation with Millie Santillanes in August, 2005.

Let's say that Juan Tabo was one of the ill-fated settlers of the Can~on de Carnue' grant established in 1763. In 1770, a series of raids by Apache warriors forced the abandonment of the settlement, as described by Marc Simmons in "Albuquerque, A Narrative History", p. 108-111. Let's say that Juan Tabo gave his life holding off the Apache assault, enabling the rest of the colony to escape with their lives. We could attribute all sorts of heroic qualities to the man, like Horatio at the Bridge. Perhaps someday we can erect an equestrian sculpture of him, next to the aluminum yucca at the mouth of Tijeras Canyon.

Joe Sabatini,
Branch Manager, Special Collections Library, Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Library System
03/07/07 08:20:01

Best wishes,

The Webmaster
Historical Society of New Mexico
Historical Society of New Mexico

Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 PM

152 posts, read 510,243 times
According to the above mentioned "New Mexico Place Names," under Juan Tabo Canyon (the canyon entrance at the far NE end of Tramway Blvd., where it makes it's turn west to I-25). The road up the canyon leads to picnic areas, and the beginning of the La Luz Trail to Sandia Peak.
"On April 5, 1748, a petition designated La Canada de Juan Tabosa as W of Sandia Mountains." Since this historic Spanish document is a petition for "The Canyon of Juan Tabosa," I can only presume there was such an "individual." But, apparently lost to history. Tabosa also relates to the Apaches in Texas, but I think it more likely Juan Tabosa's name, (like so many other Hispanic names in New Mexico), was shortened with the coming of the Anglos. His Juan Tabo "canyon" though, still holds the same name, as it has since 1748. This "petition" was probably also for a land grant request, similar to the formerly huge, Elena Gallegos Land Grant to the immediate south, that now sports Elena Gallegos Recreational Area on the Sandia's western slope.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 11,743 times
Default Las Lomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Anyone ever heard of Las Lomas road? Its been shortened to just Lomas now. Its on the old subdivision maps, circa 1957.
There is still a Las Lomas -- it's a short residential street west of UNM that accesses the University. It's a bit south of Lomas Blvd. That may be the one on the maps you mention, as that's about the date of the neighborhood, I believe.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:42 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,030,526 times
Default Las Lomas

Actually, I mean that ALL of Lomas USED to be named Las Lomas, back in the 40's and maybe into the 50's. I had to go down to the city offices and pull a subdivision plat in connection with a wall I had built at my place, and Lomas is listed as Las Lomas on that legal plat from '47.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:53 AM

1 posts, read 11,642 times
on the los lomas issue.los lomas actually is still a road.it's off university and ends at a one way where medical arts road intersects with it.jaun tabo i wish i coould say that i knew ccause thats why i was even here on this thing.who the hell was john tabo.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,425,776 times
jeremy does it reported:

> ... on the los lomas issue.los lomas actually is still a road ...

Las Lomas. Not Los Lomas.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 PM

152 posts, read 510,243 times
We'll have to cut Jeremy Does It some slack. After all, those Californians still refer to Los Angeles, as "Las" Angeles. We have Los Lunas too, but I hear our local newspeople constantly calling it "Las" Lunas. Maybe they came to New Mexico from California? Quien Sabe?

Oh, and Jeremy...it's not "John" Tabo either.

I look forward to your next post however, this being your first. :-)

Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 10,923 times
There's also a Juan Tabo street in North Scottsdale, AZ, although its likely of recent vintage-1970s or 80s I'd guess....

Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,880 times
"las lunas" vs. "los lunas"...they have different meanings in Spanish.

"Las lunas" refers to more than one celestial body/satellite. Alrededor de sesenta lunas orbitan Saturno. (Around 60 moons orbit Saturn.) "Los" Lunas is an Anglicization (corruption) of the Spanish "los Luna." "Luna" is also a family name in Spanish, just like "Moon" is a family name in English. In this context, "Los Luna" can mean the Luna family or the place where the Luna family lives. Since a family can be composed of male or female members, the male article "los" is used to cover both possibilities. "Los Garcia" refers to the Garcia family or where the Garcia family lives. "Los Jimenez" refers to the Jimenez family or where the Jimenez family lives, etc.
Another way to say "Los Luna" (the Luna family) is "la familia Luna."

I have nothing to add on the Juan Tabo mystery except that Juan Tabo roads in San Diego and Phoenix might imply Juan was a well-known sheep herder! I've wondered about this name while driving through Albuquerque. And I've been asked many times to explain "las lunas, "los Luna," and the NM town named "Los Lunas."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque