U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,837 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Albuquerque this summer. We have a two year old Pit bull. Colorado is starting to ban them, do you think it's possible that we'll be able to keep her? Our rent can't go over $600 and we'd like to stay close to the UNM/Nob hill area if possible. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 06:28 PM

303 posts, read 644,764 times
No idea, but these people might know something. Good luck!

Burque Babes and Bullies

Old 02-22-2009, 06:34 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,415,660 times
I think NM has non-breed specific dangerous dog laws meaning they don't judge a dog by the breed but by its behavior.

I adopted a mutt recently and there is question of him looking a little pit-ish, and the animal control officer said something to that effect, of NM not looking at breed for its dog laws.

Now, your landlord might have a different opinion on the matter but I really don't know the legalities of allowing renters certain breeds or not.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,579,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devie06 View Post
My husband and I are relocating to Albuquerque this summer. We have a two year old Pit bull. Colorado is starting to ban them, do you think it's possible that we'll be able to keep her? Our rent can't go over $600 and we'd like to stay close to the UNM/Nob hill area if possible. Thanks!
Sorry to hear that. My beagle is 10x worse than my pitbull mutt. On top of it. She's scared of my two cats.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 PM

50,031 posts, read 42,397,444 times
you may have a problem as Abq does frown on Pitts and that is sad. Our granddaughter in OKC has 2, both are mixed, but pretty much Pitts and both are so sweet, expecially the female. The made is totally harmless as well, his problem is he doesn't know how to calm down..

Nita

Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM

7,059 posts, read 7,237,721 times
Sometimes it seems like half the dogs I see in Albuquerque are pit bulls. They are very popular, especially among younger people who aren't as affected by pit bull paranoia. I'm not especially enamored of the breed but you will find a lot of people here who adore them.

Unfortunately there are some people who like to clip their ears and tails dog-fighting style. It shows up in the news when someone botches the clipping using kitchen shears or something like that. I don't know if this is indicative of underground dog-fighting or just people who like their dogs to have the image.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque