Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM

146 posts, read 468,351 times

Advertisements

I will be in town next week for just two days and will be staying at the Hyatt Regency on Tijeras Avenue NW. I am on the hunt for good BBQ. I have read about Rudy's and it seems close enough to walk or cab it from the hotel. Is there any issue walking from the hotel to Rudy's?

Also, if any one has other suggestions for any other good BBQ in ABQ within 5 miles of the hotel, I would appreciate the recommendations?

Thanks for any help or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
you are staying downtown and Rudy's is kinda far from there, its for sure not walking distance,you could cab but it will be expensive.

Rudys is really good though, there is one on Carlisle just off the interstate and one just off Coors Bypass on the Westside. Quarters is close by to the Rudy's on the Westside and some say its better.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
The whole hog is good. On montgomery.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,468 times
Frankly, I find it interesting that someone is visiting Albuquerque and they want....bbq?!? I'd add Porky's Pride to that list. They're moving, not sure when, but are currently at 6770 4th St. NW. Also, Mr. Powdrells at 5209 4th St NW is good. My favorite is Mad Max's in Rio Rancho but that is way out of your "within 5 miles of the Hyatt" request.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I would go with Rudy's..

Nita

Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
you are staying downtown and Rudy's is kinda far from there, its for sure not walking distance,you could cab but it will be expensive.

Rudys is really good though, there is one on Carlisle just off the interstate and one just off Coors Bypass on the Westside. Quarters is close by to the Rudy's on the Westside and some say its better.
Thanks for the info. My bad on estimating the distance. For some reason, I thought I checked the route and it was a little over mile away from the hotel. Rechecking the route is about 5 miles. I guess a group of us will cab it.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:03 AM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Frankly, I find it interesting that someone is visiting Albuquerque and they want....bbq?!? I'd add Porky's Pride to that list. They're moving, not sure when, but are currently at 6770 4th St. NW. Also, Mr. Powdrells at 5209 4th St NW is good. My favorite is Mad Max's in Rio Rancho but that is way out of your "within 5 miles of the Hyatt" request.
Agreed. Why visit ABQ and look for BBQ? Go have some authentic New Mexican food that you can't get in another state. You can always eat BBQ. You can't find green chile in St. Louis.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
My trip is work related and in October the same group went to Savannah, GA for a conference. I used City-Data forums for Savannah and a local expert recommended a hole in the wall BBQ that you had to walk through an alley to find. The name of the place is Wall's BBQ. It was phenomenal!

So my co-workers have made it a running joke that I could find the most off the beaten path unique BBQ restaurant. Since we are from Chicago it is hard to find true BBQ.

Do you recommended another type of cuisine?

Last edited by mikeg453; 02-27-2009 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,468 times
New Mexican. Our BBQ will not compare to what you would find in GA. It's good, but when in Rome....don't look for bbq.
Your group might enjoy Duran's Central Pharmacy since it's...in a pharmacy or El Modelo since it's a walk up and order place. There are some outside tables and if the weather is good, it's a great place to go. Both would be a short cab ride away. Not sure about the hours or if you are looking for dinner or lunch.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
ABQ actually has some really good BBQ. Personally, I'd rank them #1 Whole Hog (memphis BBQ), #2 Rudy's (cross between TX and memphis BBQ) and #3 Quarters (waaaaay overpriced for what you get). We also have Tony Roma's, a national chain, but still good (more of a Carolina style BBQ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque