Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times

Advertisements

Looks like this thread is being overtaken by the pet forum. (I am saying this in a NICE way, dont want it sounding like I am being nasty.)

Maybe y'all can help the OP with her two pit crosses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 PM

167 posts, read 598,487 times
For the Original poster, there is an organization here in Albuquerque, "Alliance for Albuquerque animals" that also has a program RAAP- responsibly adopting albuquerque pit bulls. This link attempts to dispel some of the myths and ideas about pit bulls and also has free training classes in the Albuquerque area each Saturday morning. The classes are free to people who adopted from the local shelters, however, this is a wonderful organization and I am sure they work with people who are attempting to be responsible owners especially with young children. Please check the link below and read up on this great group which I have done volunteer work. There is a phone number to reach the group taught by a certified dog trained, I believe it is a woman named Tristan, I know of her and she is very good with dogs. I am sure they can answer your questions as well.

All dogs have it in them to protect themselves and their home, even those with gentle dispostions like my German Shepherd. Young children and other vulnerable pets such as smaller dogs and cats need to be supervised with any animal but especially, the more powerful animals such as one of the bully breeds-Pit bulls, american bulldogs, etc. These fabulous dogs are very strong, athletic animals. They need daily excersise as well to vent their energy and stay healthy emotionally and physically.

I am so glad you have reached out to ask about the safety of mixing your family of pitbulls and young children. As long as you continue to stay aware and be pro active, I think your family should be just fine.

Good Luck!!! let us know how its going....

Alliance for Abq Animals - (http://allianceforabqanimals.googlepages.com/home2323 - broken link)

Last edited by BlueRose; 03-03-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 02:42 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I just do not care for Chihuahuas and have been around them before.
My wife has the same feeling for chihuahuas as you. She began hating those little mutts after she was bitten in the face by one when she was younger. She still wears the scar.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
My wife has the same feeling for chihuahuas as you. She began hating those little mutts after she was bitten in the face by one when she was younger. She still wears the scar.
A friend of mine way back in high school got bit by one when she was crossing the street one day. She had to literally kick it off her leg and the kick ended up killing the dog. The owners tried to make a huge stink out of it but the police told them they were supposed to have their dog under control on a public street. They ended up having to pay for her stitches.

On the other hand, I have met some nice Chihuahuas, they just aren't the dog for me.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Was not the dogs fault...blame the owner! No dog is born to bite anyone. They are taught from their owners! So everytime you look at a scar from a dog bite, think of the owner that made the dog like that. None of my dogs would ever bite anyone and most were rescued from a kill shelter at the average age of 3 years old and suffered some severe abuse in their former lives! Lesson to be learned!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,469,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
For the Original poster, there is an organization here in Albuquerque, "Alliance for Albuquerque animals" that also has a program RAAP- responsibly adopting albuquerque pit bulls. This link attempts to dispel some of the myths and ideas about pit bulls and also has free training classes in the Albuquerque area each Saturday morning. The classes are free to people who adopted from the local shelters, however, this is a wonderful organization and I am sure they work with people who are attempting to be responsible owners especially with young children. Please check the link below and read up on this great group which I have done volunteer work. There is a phone number to reach the group taught by a certified dog trained, I believe it is a woman named Tristan, I know of her and she is very good with dogs. I am sure they can answer your questions as well.

All dogs have it in them to protect themselves and their home, even those with gentle dispostions like my German Shepherd. Young children and other vulnerable pets such as smaller dogs and cats need to be supervised with any animal but especially, the more powerful animals such as one of the bully breeds-Pit bulls, american bulldogs, etc. These fabulous dogs are very strong, athletic animals. They need daily excersise as well to vent their energy and stay healthy emotionally and physically.

Good Luck!!! let us know how its going....

Alliance for Abq Animals - (http://allianceforabqanimals.googlepages.com/home2323 - broken link)

Thank you for this info!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Was not the dogs fault...blame the owner! No dog is born to bite anyone. They are taught from their owners! So everytime you look at a scar from a dog bite, think of the owner that made the dog like that. None of my dogs would ever bite anyone and most were rescued from a kill shelter at the average age of 3 years old and suffered some severe abuse in their former lives! Lesson to be learned!
How can you say it was not the dog's fault? Were you there?
Never say never. Dogs have teeth, they can bite. We all like to think our dogs won't bite, but one never knows'

I have a scar from a dog bite and yes it was my fault. I tried to reach over them, during a dog fight, to get something and I got bit. I did not make my dog that way. She never ever bit again. It was an ACCIDENT.

But we do not know the circumstances of yb's wife's bite, and to suggest she is to blame, without knowing the facts, is foolish.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
Quote:
Yeah I think about that all the time. Over the years I have had to shoot several dogs that have come onto my land and killed or injured my livestock.

A few days later when the owners come around looking for there pets I often wonder about that.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
Quote:

Oh PLEASE. Dogs, like every other living being is born with both a brain and a will. They have their own thoughts and complete their own actions AT WILL. Despite being domesticated and trained, they ARE animals. They're not programmable robots, so to say it's the owner's fault is completely erroneous. The same can be said about children, if one follows your line of *logic*. Mom and Dad love little Junior, he has all the support and nuturing and teaching one could ever want. Junior grows up to be an axe murderer, MUST be his parent's fault! Couldn't be a breakdown in the brain somewhere, MUST be his family. Nuture over nature, huh?

Every one of my dogs were rescues and five of six cats were. I've done horse rescue for several years. So i've been exposed to abused animals of every size- tiny kittens to 1200 lb horses. Some recover from the abuse, some don't, some just weren't right from the start. Some can be helped, some can't. To lump all of one being into the *gooder than good* genre before we evil humans got hold of them is ridiculous.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Easily. I don't like Chihuahuas. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.
I am partial to Border Collies and Labrador Retrievers. Even though I own a German Shepherd/Hound mix.

A Shepherd/hound mix?! I would LOVE to see photos..those are my two favorite types of dogs. Do share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque