Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 54,145 times

Advertisements

We recently adopted a Pitbull puppy, and we already have an 11 month old Pitbull, they are both mixed, so not 100% Pitbull.
Now my husbands coworker told him it was a really bad idea getting a second Pitbull, since we have a 2year old daughter, and the Pitbulls might harm her when they grow up????
Anyone know where i can get information on owning and raising two Pitbulls??? I would hate to give one up, without getting more info on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
If the dogs are raised and trained properly I doubt they will do any harm. Pitbulls get a bad rep because of their owners. Not too many years ago, it was Dobermans and German Shepherds getting the bad rep.
There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Raise them right, expose them to everything and most of all, enjoy them.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
I have owned dogs continuously for about 29 years. All of my dogs have attended various dog training classes. All of my family have attended dog training classes. My dogs have been continously trained. I handled dogs in the military briefly.

Pitbulls can make good pets. If you know how to train dogs. I get tired of hearing various virtues of pitbulls.

I have kids, grandkids and dogs.

I would not have any Pitbull. Others will of course have different opinions....

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-12-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 AM

35 posts, read 105,695 times
Bad rap or not, I would not own one either, especially around small kids. I would suggest training for each if you plan on keeping them around the kids.
Mike

Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM

405 posts, read 1,335,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlummi75 View Post
We recently adopted a Pitbull puppy, and we already have an 11 month old Pitbull, they are both mixed, so not 100% Pitbull.
Now my husbands coworker told him it was a really bad idea getting a second Pitbull, since we have a 2year old daughter, and the Pitbulls might harm her when they grow up????
Anyone know where i can get information on owning and raising two Pitbulls??? I would hate to give one up, without getting more info on this
I have to completely agree with AlisonL's quote. It is all in how these dogs are raised/trained.
I highly, highly recommend a training class. I have reason to be bias, but check out PetSmart training classes. I used to frequent a PS store elsewhere and their training facility was amazing. They work only with positive training, so no chock or prong collars. Whatever you do..do not SEND your dogs away to be trained...this is completely silly. Why would one want a stranger to train their dog??? The dog would come home and not listen to the owner at all. PS classes are all based on YOU training the dog and having a relationship with it. As with all training, it is all about consistency and practice. Incase you're not that close to a store, they do offer private training as well.
I'm sure there are other good training facilities in the area..but whatever you do..ask OTHER people about the facility before jumping right in!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlummi75 View Post
you know, yes they can be awful and if anything happened to your daughter you would never forgive yourself, but that being said, it still pretty much depends on how they are raised.

Our granddaughter in OKC has 2 mix Pitts, a male and a female. The younger one, the male is about 3 now I guess and totally hyper, but would not hurt a flea, the older one, Roxie is maybe 5. The same, except she isn't even hyper, she is as mellow as they come. And guess what? they have a little girl that will be 2 next week. She climbs on the dogs, chases them, used to pull their tails, you name it..I wouldn't have a pit bull, but I think they get a really bad rap...

Nita

Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
If the dogs are raised and trained properly I doubt they will do any harm. Pitbulls get a bad rep because of their owners. Not too many years ago, it was Dobermans and German Shepherds getting the bad rep.
There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Raise them right, expose them to everything and most of all, enjoy them.
Alison, I was going to say the same thing about German Sheppards and Dobbies..I think the only dog I would probably never consider would be a Chow. I just do not like them..

Nita

ps, I have even heard of boxers and labs that are mean on occassion. We raised English Springers for years, everyone loves Springers, but once in awhile you will see one that isn't the nicest thing in the world.

Training is the secret.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,118 times
Like everyone else says, it's how you raise them. We had a pitbull that my brother bought when I was in second grade. He used to snap at me sometimes because I would tease him, but he never bit me. And now that I think about it, the times he snapped at me were in self defense (obviously), but he never looked mean or vicious when he did so. He was a great watch dog and an even better pet.

DO NOT TRUST YOUR KIDS AROUND ANY ANIMAL! I don't care if it's a cat, a ferret, a chihuahua, nothing! Maybe gold fish, but then you're more likely to watch out for the gold fish instead of your child.

Seriously though, as long as you take time to train your dogs, and you teach YOUR child as she grows to love and RESPECT your pets, you should be fine. Do not ever let your child hit your dogs for any reason. Dogs remember.

And if the day ever comes when your daughter does get bitten or knocked down by your dogs, as long as she isn't injured real bad, don't be quick to send the dog to the pound. Maybe it's wrong of me to say this, but kids have to learn the hard way sometimes. My mother used to warn me about all our other dogs that we had. I got bit once and I learned my lesson. My mother didn't go "dispose" of our dog the way so many crazy people do today.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:14 PM

519 posts, read 1,697,081 times
A simple google seach will help you:

Pit Bull Training Tips, tricks and resources to a well trained American Pit Bull Terrier
Pet Pit Bull - Training Tips

And there are over 2 million hits on the search "pitbulls and children."

I'd suggest finding a dog trainer ASAP. Dogs get cranky, and when dogs get cranky, they do what dogs do -- snap, bite, etc. That's how grown dogs deal with puppies and puppies deal with each other. At some point your dogs will try to "recorrect" your children and that recorrection may include a bite and broken skin.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,160 times
Pit Bulls are wonderful with kids, and there is no way they would harm your child if they are raised and trained properly. BUT, owning pit bulls my whole life, they were used for dog fighting in history and you must always expect a bulldog to fight, they will be dog aggresive at times. I would not suggest getting a second pit bull, because you cannot leave them alone when you are gone, etc. I suggest going to [URL="http://www.pitbull-chat.com"]www.pitbull-chat.com[/URL] or [URL="http://www.chazhound.com"]www.chazhound.com[/URL] and getting more information on that. Or you can email me at [email]keytoaratsheart@yahoo.com[/email] and I can provide some more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque