U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:36 PM

40 posts, read 180,346 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Here is my situation:

A position that I want has opened in Albuquerque and I am probably going to apply for it. I am from South Florida, now living in North Florida (Tallahassee) and am definitely ready to get away from the humidity. I will be graduating from college with my BS this August (I am 22). I am ready to move to a new city and start my life already. I want to move to a city that isn't huge (aka NYC) but still has lots to do- recreation, shopping, a lively downtown and nightlife geared towards young professionals (not the drunk college crowd). Does Albuquerque have this? The weather sounds wonderful there which is a big plus- I don't mind heat, since Im used to it. Also, being from South Florida I really got sick of 50% of the population not able to speak English. Is this a problem in Albuquerque?

Do you all think I would like it there??

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 11:33 AM

3,058 posts, read 8,200,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megad00dle View Post
Hi everyone! Here is my situation:

A position that I want has opened in Albuquerque and I am probably going to apply for it. I am from South Florida, now living in North Florida (Tallahassee) and am definitely ready to get away from the humidity.
Hi! Welcome in advance to ABQ if you apply for the job and get it. I think you'd really like it here. First off, the humidity between FL and here will be night and day...you'll like that. We are in the northern tip of the Chihuahuan Desert, and thus are very arid (wouldn't know it today with the rain showers moving in)...typically humidity levels are extremely low here.

Quote:
I will be graduating from college with my BS this August (I am 22). I am ready to move to a new city and start my life already. I want to move to a city that isn't huge (aka NYC) but still has lots to do- recreation, shopping, a lively downtown and nightlife geared towards young professionals (not the drunk college crowd).
This is, in my opinion, a very good-sized city. The city itself is roughly 500,000 people, the metro is roughly 800,000 people. It is growing at an amazing rate though. Truly, it is small enough to feel still somewhat like a smaller city, however, it is big enough to offer most any ammenity of a large city. It is a great town/climate for recreation. Shopping is decent and ever-improving. Downtown/nightlife overall is probably pretty good for someone in your position...I would say some bars are geared towards the old drunk college crowd, however, there are bars in the UNM/downtown area to a more young professional crowd. Now being 30 yrs old, I am too old and washed up to know for sure though.

Quote:
The weather sounds wonderful there which is a big plus- I don't mind heat, since Im used to it.
The weather is great. I would warn you that you will get much colder weather here than you are typically used to in Florida. However, it isn't Midwest/Northeast/Denver-type cold...it is rather moderate. Here you get 4-seasons, but all are rather temperate and pleasant. Falls and springs, when not windy, are probably the nicest seasons here - just perfect weather (when not windy). Sunny, warm, dry days and cool, pleasant evenings.

The heat won't be an issue for you being used to Flordia. The heat is an issue here generally from mid-May until maybe mid-September at the most, and if we have a good monsoon season in July/August, that nulifies the heat for the most part. There will be very little humidity, so it is a dry heat for sure. The nights still will cool into the 70s and 60s even in the hot months, so it keeps things refreshing. The one aspect of the heat is the intensity of the sun...cloudless days are the norm here, and with our dry air and altitude, the sun gets intense on 90+ degree days. However, with no humidity, and a relatively short summer in comparison to Flordia, you'll be fine. (Plus...cool Santa Fe is always a 45-minute drive away in the summer!).

Quote:
Also, being from South Florida I really got sick of 50% of the population not able to speak English. Is this a problem in Albuquerque?
There is, of course, a huge Hispanic/Mexican-American populace here in ABQ...I believe nearly 45% of the citizens are of Hispanic decent. However, English is the norm here by all citizens, and while many are bilingual, rarely is Spanish spoken openly in most parts of town - English is the language used here.

Quote:
Do you all think I would like it there??
I believe you would...it is a wonderful city in the heart of the U.S. Sunbelt/Southwest. However, folks here typically either love it or hate it. Living in a high desert is a polarizing thing it seems. You have to come with an open mind and an awareness that you are coming to a very unique city. It isn't your prototypical big-U.S.-city with cookie cutter aspects and rampant materialsm. It is a definitely different city than most in the U.S. It has its own pace, culture, and charm. If you come with an open mind and an enthusiasm to experience the great differences that make Albuquerque what it is and why it is great, you'll like it. If you come expecting it to be Denver or Phoenix or L.A., you'll be mightily disappointed likely.

It sounds though like you are coming with the right attitude/thought process, and if that is the case, I believe you'll have a great chance of loving ABQ!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:36 AM

40 posts, read 180,346 times
Thanks for all the info, it really gave me a good idea of what to expect. Now I just have to hope that I get the job! Does anyone know of any apartment complexes that would be for a young professional like myself? I have seen some in Northeast Heights that looks nice. How long does it take to get into the city with traffic?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,946 times
Hi, I live in NYC and My husband and I are looking to move to another state. My husband is a mail man and I work in customer service. We have an 8 yr old son. We are looking for a place that has good schools and not as much violence and crime as nyc. I've lived here my whole life and am desperate for a change. My husband really wants to move to Texas, but I feel that Texas is too big and not different(crime wise) from nyc. Do you recommend new mexico for our family?

Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, it really gave me a good idea of what to expect. Now I just have to hope that I get the job! Does anyone know of any apartment complexes that would be for a young professional like myself? I have seen some in Northeast Heights that looks nice. How long does it take to get into the city with traffic?
Hey, there is the Overlook Apts or the Presidio Apts. right next to them...both of those are roughly Eubank and Academy...a great part of the city to rent in. I lived in the Overlooks when I first moved here and while not luxury by any means, they were very nice for their price, and in a great part of the city.

Otherwise, there are the Pinnacle at High Desert apartments which are AWESOME. *It is 5-to-8 degrees cooler where these are generally, as they are outside of Albuqeruque's warmer thermal belt (they are in the mountain foothills), however, if you don't mind slightly cooler weather, these apartments are great and in a pristine area.

Other apartments to consider would be those like the Pavilions in the Northeast Heights, etc. I would strongly advise apartments in the NE Heights in areas such as off of Eubank Blvd., Juan Tabo, Tramway, Academy, Osuna, Spain, Paseo Del Norte, etc. I would avoid apartments near Montgomery Blvd., unless they were east of Eubank.

But yes, the NE Heights area of ABQ is a great place for renting an APT for a young professional!

Old 03-31-2007, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,880 times
Possibly moving to the ABQ area from VA, have livestock and kids, and I was wondering if there was any particular area that would be better for us to get used to a new climate. Looking for a mountainous area and possibly grass fro grazing if that is possible. Thanks for any response.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:15 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,165,205 times
just a quick comment -- while I agree that English is the norm in Albuquerque, I hear Spanish all the time and it doesn't bother me one bit. I understand a bit of it. But I've rarely encontered anyone that didn't understand English.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
just a quick comment -- while I agree that English is the norm in Albuquerque, I hear Spanish all the time and it doesn't bother me one bit. I understand a bit of it. But I've rarely encontered anyone that didn't understand English.
Right.

With ~45% of the populace being of Hispanic/Mexican-American origin, again, definitely there will be Spanish spoken between two (or more) folks of a similar background in casual conversation. So in places like the grocery store, shopping malls, restaurants, etc., yes, you'll hear Spanish being spoken.

However...in "every day" life for a non-Spanish speaker here in Albuquerque, you'll never notice not speaking Spanish impacting your life. To work, to shop, to go places, etc.,...everything is predominant in English.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM

502 posts, read 1,250,462 times
Mega: Alba-crappy is my home town, though I now live in Tampa, FL. What I miss about ABQ is the great dry weather, the view of the Sandia mountains and decent mexican food. What I don't miss are the incredibly ignorant people who think they're more [smart, rich, famous, and/or sophisticated] than they really are. And, don't forget the chicano alpha males who pimp out their hondas, hyundais or Kias, and throw on a loud chrome tail pipe and act out the scenes from Fast-n-Furious. You can do better than ABQ.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:13 AM

722 posts, read 1,841,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
Mega: Alba-crappy is my home town, though I now live in Tampa, FL. What I miss about ABQ is the great dry weather, the view of the Sandia mountains and decent mexican food. who pimp out their hondas, hyundais or Kias, and throw on a loud chrome tail pipe and act out the scenes from Fast-n-Furious. You can do better than ABQ.

What I don't miss are the incredibly ignorant people who think they're more [smart, rich, famous, and/or sophisticated] than they really are. And, don't forget the chicano alpha males

Hmmm......OK! The irony of that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque