Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:39 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Why do you think that?

It's right next to Los Lunas. Distance isn't important.

The only reason there is a gap between the Albuquerque city line and Los Lunas is the Isleta Reservation.
Probably because of my own subjective view of what suburb means.

To me, real suburbs were the cutesy, sprawly developments you see outside most metro areas, with little in the way of commercial development within the neighborhoods themselves, and continuity between the city proper and the sprawly developments.

Once you get that significant break in there, the community goes exurb [IMO]. I just have a tough time calling Belen a suburb, although many have no problem with it.

An interesting point about Bernalillo, is that in terms of "continuity", it's almost more a suburb of RR than Albuq. And although RR is itself a city [and a fast growing one at that], I could see arguing that it's really just a suburb of Albuq [although some may not like that characterization].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
To me, real suburbs were the cutesy, sprawly developments you see outside most metro areas, with little in the way of commercial development within the neighborhoods themselves, and continuity between the city proper and the sprawly developments.
My thought of a suburb is a bit different...

I look at it roughly like this. You've generally got the big city at the center / core [eg: a Miami, or a Denver, or a Chicago, or a Milwaukee, or a Baltimore, etc.], and then you've got your *directly attached communities* - generally in a "ring" [eg: on all sides] around the city, although sometimes (maybe due to geographical boundaries such as a mountain range or a lake), the communities won't go completely around or on all sides.

But any towns - generally - that are "continuous" (eg: you could drive from the actual city and keep going on a flow of semi-urban or residential life) - those towns are suburbs.

So where I guess I would differ is that to me, suburbs aren't *outside* metro areas, they are actually in the heart / core of the metro area, with the city itself being the ground zero of the metro.

Also, to me the type of development / building, etc., commercial v. residential, etc., means nearly nothing. In Milwaukee metro, some suburbs are aged / "walkable" type sorts with closely-built historic homes, and some are more classically "modern suburbia" with less sidewalks and more "cookie cutter" development...but both are suburbs. The only caveat is sometimes when it starts to get quite a bit more rural, then it is where the suburb tag gives way, but even then some 'burbs still are rural (see: Corrales, a suburb of ABQ).

I do agree that exurb starts when there starts to be a decent chunk of distance / open space and mileage - eg: it is "out there" - from the core of the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
An interesting point about Bernalillo, is that in terms of "continuity", it's almost more a suburb of RR than Albuq. And although RR is itself a city [and a fast growing one at that], I could see arguing that it's really just a suburb of Albuq [although some may not like that characterization].
Yeah, and see, to me, unless there is a rare exception like the Twin Cities metro (where Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN both co-share some of the "glory"), you can really only have one "big city" in the heart of a metro. So even though 75,000+ (and growing) Rio Ranchoans often are proud to be their own "city" (and of course, in reality all suburbs are their own cities, towns, villages, etc.) - and don't like to be classified as Albuquerqueans - to me, this was always kind of unique and somewhat baffling as Rio Rancho will always fit the proper descriptor as the most high-profile / important suburb in the Albuquerque metro area.

It is like Denver metro. Heck, Aurora CO is 350,000+ residents and isn't entirely smaller than the city of Denver itself (550K), however, Aurora will always be a big 'burb in Denver metro. And there isn't anything wrong with that.

So to me, Littleton CO isn't a burb to Centennial CO to Aurora CO to Denver, etc.; they are all burbs with Denver being the city - composing Denver metro.

I was surprised - and still am - how independently Albuquerque and Rio Rancho see each other.

Here in Milwaukee, people in Wauwatosa or Brookfield or Shorewood will *always* say they are "from Milwaukee"...in another 'burb, West Allis, their racing stadium is named "the Milwaukee Mile". Towns here like Waukesha WI and West Allis are nearly as big population-wise as Rio Rancho, but they are still what they are - burbs.

Heck, some major sports teams in Dallas, Detroit, NYC, etc., have generally not actually played in their actual town - they play in 'burbs.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
I had to laugh at Maggie's post. Here, when you say you're going into TOWN- that's Moriarty. Into the CITY is Albuquerque. Edgewood? I dunno, since Smith's and Walmart are the only places I go there. With the exception of the house hunt, that is. I shall be nice and just say that this place ain't what it was made out to be.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:35 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
I shall be nice and just say that this place ain't what it was made out to be.
Moriarty? The whole E. Mtns? The ABQ metro area in general?

Just curious. I probably would never choose to live in Moriarty or Estancia - I'm fine with most of Edgewood, parts of Sandia Park, parts of Tijeras, maybe parts of Cedar Crest. (and parts of Albuquerque as well).Its not all rosy in Edgewood, but its tolerable and on most days the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
Oh, no- not the area. This pit of a HOUSE we rented. We love Moriarty. This place was presented to me as a "had to move for my job, intending to move back so the house has been maintained as such" Ptoooey. It's been maintained as a rental house, with an out of state inattentive owner. It looks good on pictures, but pictures don't show function, ya know? We've owned our own places for several years, so I don't know if my expectations were skewed or what, but we've been told by a few people that we got hosed for for the price if nothing else.
Unfortunately Moriarty has SO few leases or REC properties available. Edgewood has a bit more, but we just haven't found THE place yet. Either properties are big enough but not fenced and without shelter for the horses or they're missing a bedroom we need, or they're too far off 40 for work. It's been frustrating, that's for sure!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:05 AM

oh OK! Good luck and keep looking. Edgewood grew a lot in the past 10-15 yrs so you might find something newer and less likely to have fallen into disrepair just based on the age of the structures. Houses are moving very slowly around here so I am sure more rentals will make their way onto the market. For example, to demonstrate the slow market, a house down the street from me has been on the market with a nationally networked agency for at least 6 mos now. They are asking $25K less than what they paid for it the year before, and have made improvements to it (they have to move due to unforseen health issues that came up after they bought). Its a nice house, and well-kept, its just a bad market. When we move next summer we are thinking of renting ours out.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol
... a house down the street from me has been on the market with a nationally networked agency for at least 6 mos now. They are asking $25K less than what they paid for it ...
There is absolutely no correlation between what someone originally paid for a house
and what its current market value is.

There is an extremely strong correlation between what a house's asking price is
in relation to it's current market value and the time it takes to sell the house.

Quote:
When we move next summer we are thinking of renting ours out.
Ah, renting. You get to live the dream ... get double the fun:

You experience the housing downturn by a loss of market value and instead of
cutting your losses at the moment of moving, you continue to bleed money
by renting and getting a return far lower on your money than you would
by just investing it in something safe.

Additionally, you get to experience the risk of a tenent neglecting AND/OR
trashing your property that you worked so hard to maintain
whilst you were living there and giving a rip about the place.

Renting is living in a state of being in denial. Don't do it.

Ask yourself: Self? If I was moving ( to wherever you are moving ) to [city, state],
would I turn around and buy a piece of property in NM ( wherever you live now ) and rent it out?
Would I go into the real estate rental business now?
Would I rent out a property that I cannot conveniently access and monitor now?

If your answer is "yeah, sure!" then go for it.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 AM

If we could sell the house we would buy land around here, which I would prefer. I think we will have a hard time selling the house and we want to come back here to retire.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:04 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
If we could sell the house we would buy land around here, which I would prefer.
When you sell the house, you can buy the land.

Quote:
I think we will have a hard time selling the house ...
Your statement actually means:

I think we will have a hard time selling the house _at_the_price_that_we_WANT.

( Sometimes people say "I NEED to get ...," but it's the same thing. )

Your house is worth what it's worth and no one cares what you WANT for it
or what you paid for it or what your mortgage is, etc.

You have already lost the money ( assuming there is a loss there ).

Not selling and getting what you can out of it, makes it all the more likely
that you will never be able to afford to buy the land that you want to buy.

If the house is priced right it will sell quickly and if it is priced too high
then it will languish on the market indefinitely.

I've seen this again and again. When we sold our house in Arizona, there
were some properties on the market a year before we listed ours. After
ours was sold, those properties were still listed. For all I know they are
still for sale at an unrealistic price.

The price we sold our house for was way below what we thought we would get.
The price we sold our house for was way below what we wanted to get.

The house has recently sold again after our buyer lived their for a little over
a year. They sold the house for 10% under what they paid for it. It was
gone in a little over one month. It was priced right.

Last edited by mortimer; 07-28-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:21 PM

Well, a home in our subdivision with a little more land and a little less square footage, and the same age or a bit older than our home, sold two months ago for a price I would have no problem with. We have enough equity in our home to lower our price enough to be the lowest per sq ft in our neighborhood, based on what I am seeing now, with about 4 houses on the market in our neighborhood.

The bigger problem is its in Edgewood, not Albuquerque, and there are fewer buyers out here. Other than that, its in a very attractive location and priced right is more likely to sell than some Edgewood homes, if only enough buyers look out here.

And, mortimer, I hope you're right, because I'd rather be wrong and have a house sell in under 45 days than be right and paying a mortgage in NM and rent in another location. It would be a bonus if we could sell the house and still have money left over to buy land, but the prices will have to come up a bit to do so.

Last edited by lisdol; 07-28-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque