U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 AM

25 posts, read 162,045 times
Question Where Exactly Is NE Heights??

Hi,
I've heard a lot about the Northeast Heights being a good area to live, raise a family and send kids to school. It doesn't appear to be an incorporated area, so could someone tell me how to search out the area - like exactly where is it, what zip code(s), area amenties, etc.?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 12:44 PM

243 posts, read 591,437 times
Talking NE Heights

The city of Albuquerque is divided into four sections. NE, SE, NW, SW. Generaly speaking the further out in the NE heights you live the nicer it becomes, (Foothill area). But all areas have crime. Even in the better areas. Stay away from here this is not a good city. High crime and bad schools. The weather is great but that is it. If you must move here then look into moving into the NE Heights. Some areas in the SE is ok, ( Ridgecrest area) ( Four Hills) although four hills isn't what it used to be. The upper class are now moving to High Desert area and Sandia Heights. There is a small area named Monterey Manor that is very nice also. But nothing is going to detour the crime. I don't go out at nights.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 PM

3,058 posts, read 7,767,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch928 View Post
Hi,
I've heard a lot about the Northeast Heights being a good area to live, raise a family and send kids to school. It doesn't appear to be an incorporated area, so could someone tell me how to search out the area - like exactly where is it, what zip code(s), area amenties, etc.?

Thanks!
Albuqueruqe is unique in that it is a city split into four sections - fairly evenly - geographically by the two major interstates that intersect near the middle point of the city - I-25 and I-40.

So...there are four (4) quadrants that compose of Albuquerque - the NE, NW, SE, and SW.

The "Northeast Heights" is essentially the NE / Northeast quadrant of Albuquerque. The area both NORTH of I-40 and EAST of I-25.

(Another example is that much - certainly not all, especially now as this area is growing, but much - of the SW quadrant is typically referred to as the South Valley).

"Typical" area codes of the NE Heights would be 87109, 87110, 87111, 87112. Generally, some of the "nicer" areas of the NE Heights are those north of Montgomery Blvd. and east of Louisiana Blvd. or Wyoming, altough those are just broad generalizations. There are very nice areas throughout the NE Heights. The Uptown area is one that comes to mind...there are nice areas around Pennsylvania, San Pedro, etc. But generally areas around Eubank, Tramway, Academy, Juan Tabo, Wyoming (north of Montgomery), Paseo Del Norte, etc., are all very nice areas.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-29-2007, 03:20 PM

25 posts, read 162,045 times
Default EnjoyEP

EnjoyEP,
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2007, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 35,298 times
Quote:
Stay away from here this is not a good city. High crime and bad schools. The weather is great but that is it. If you must move here then look into moving into the NE Heights. Some areas in the SE is ok, ( Ridgecrest area) ( Four Hills) although four hills isn't what it used to be. The upper class are now moving to High Desert area and Sandia Heights. There is a small area named Monterey Manor that is very nice also. But nothing is going to detour the crime. I don't go out at nights.
This statement is ridiculous. There are certainly areas of Albuquerque that are undesirable (the SE section of town near the Airforce Base primarily), but Albuquerque is a lovely city. I have lived in many parts of the city - the northeast heights (Lomas/Tramway area; zip- 87123), the Wyoming/Candelaria area (zip-87110), Rio Rancho (87124), Los Lunas (87031) - and I can honestly say that I have NEVER been afraid to go for a walk at night or out to restaurants or the movies - whatever. Even downtown and the UNM area are pleasant at night if you are into music/plays, etc. As far as bad schools, there are bad schools everywhere, but with No Child Left Behind, and standardized testing, most schools are having fairly poor showings these days. The schools in the NE Heights, especially LaCueva and Sandia High Schools are among the best in the city. I love Albuquerque, the sunsets on the mountain are gorgeous and the people are friendly.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-15-2014 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 03-29-2007, 05:23 PM

706 posts, read 1,717,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Albuqueruqe is unique in that it is a city split into four sections - fairly evenly - geographically by the two major interstates that intersect near the middle point of the city - I-25 and I-40.

So...there are four (4) quadrants that compose of Albuquerque - the NE, NW, SE, and SW.

The "Northeast Heights" is essentially the NE / Northeast quadrant of Albuquerque. The area both NORTH of I-40 and EAST of I-25.

(Another example is that much - certainly not all, especially now as this area is growing, but much - of the SW quadrant is typically referred to as the South Valley).

"Typical" area codes of the NE Heights would be 87109, 87110, 87111, 87112. Generally, some of the "nicer" areas of the NE Heights are those north of Montgomery Blvd. and east of Louisiana Blvd. or Wyoming, altough those are just broad generalizations. There are very nice areas throughout the NE Heights. The Uptown area is one that comes to mind...there are nice areas around Pennsylvania, San Pedro, etc. But generally areas around Eubank, Tramway, Academy, Juan Tabo, Wyoming (north of Montgomery), Paseo Del Norte, etc., are all very nice areas.

Hope that helps!
EnjoyEP......If I'm not mistaken the quadrants are divided by the railroad tracks East & West and Central Ave. North & South.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:45 PM

39 posts, read 149,329 times
When Albuquerque was divided by Sectors, all quadrants were based from Broadway and Central.South and west=southwest. South and East= southeast.North and west=northwest.North and east=Northeast. There are many nice pocket neighborhoods throughout Albuquerque. Limiting the "nicer neighborhoods" to the Northeast heights is erroneous. The North Valley 20years ago was definitely not where you wanted to live, although many of us grew up there, went to Valley High and then when the yuppies moved in, we sold the house we paid $25,600 for in 1966 for $525,000 and moved on. There are some neat neighborhoods all around Albuqueruque, you just need to familiarize yourself with the areas and what appeals to you. Remember, many areas are overpriced, many are desirable to parents who want their future sports celebrity to be on the "best team" and some just are ignored because people don't know much about them. Personality is everywhere, in all areas and appreciated by many.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
_yb

1,135 posts, read 3,244,610 times
I've always thought that the dividing line was the railroad tracks and central ave.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:12 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,767,653 times
Sorry, if the dividing line was the railroad tracks and Central Ave., then I gave bad info. I aplogize for that.

If you look at maps now, etc., typically it seems that the "easy way" to make the division is in the split of the Big I (I-25 and I-40)...but I will admit that I might be wrong technically.

I would say though using the Interstate division is still an easy general way of roughly determining the quadrants...might be easier to find on a map than the tracks...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 18,166 times
I love duke city and was raised in NE Heights. It's not the worst part of albuquerque however I would not recommend raising a family there. There is active gang activity especially when it comes to middle - highschool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque