Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 AM

295 posts, read 591,782 times

Advertisements

I mean, for as hot as it gets here in the summer, the city or some private developers should cash in on this idea. Or at least give the youth something to do here. No wonder why kids resort to raves and experiments of drugs. There is NOTHING to do for them.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-25-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
I mean, for as hot as it gets here in the summer, the city or some private developers should cash in on this idea. Or at least give the youth something to do here. No wonder why kids resort to raves and experiments of drugs. There is NOTHING to do for them.
There is plenty for youth to do in the Albuquerque area. You don't really expect people to believe that the drug problem is because there is no waterpark here. The city of Albuquerque operates 12 swimming pools throughout the area. What about the Radisson waterpark? Have you actually used any of those facilities?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I'm sure they still use a ton of water but probably not much more than any golf course does.
You going to swim in grey water? That's what the golf courses typically use...

Rich

Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 AM

295 posts, read 591,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There is plenty for youth to do in the Albuquerque area. You don't really expect people to believe that the drug problem is because there is no waterpark here. The city of Albuquerque operates 12 swimming pools throughout the area. What about the Radisson waterpark? Have you actually used any of those facilities?
Actually, no there is not much to do in Albuquerque. I don't know how you get that there is? And, I do believe that is why drug usage is on a spike, I have children in their youth, and I understand there is nothing for them to do here. I'm pretty damn lucky they are all into sports, otherwise I would worry more.

Just because there are "12 city pools" does not mean NOTHING! That does not mean bored children will go swim, I'm saying increase activities for youth! Get some fresh ideas in here and build! And I've used those facilities, 20 years ago. lol

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,582 times
There is thousands of things for youths to do in this city. Seems to me you need to explore more options besides sports if you think that is all there is.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
I get the impression neither side is talking about the same thing.

For kids in their tween years, unable to get around town without someone willing and able to give them a ride, there are very few activities during peak hours for them that their parents will seek out, afford, and/or allow. Unfortunately, that's the case in Anaheim, Orlando, Chicago, Honolulu, or pretty much anywhere in America, regardless of the amenities in the area.

That's a tough nut to crack, and parents, other citizens, and the kids themselves are all to blame for it contributing to delinquency.

A water park would help with that. Swimming pools in this city are old, crowded at busy times, close too early, and a lot less interesting to today's discriminating youngsters than a water park. 12 swimming pools (the majority of which aren't all that close to where the majority of kids are) for approx. 100,000 children in this city- doesn't take an advanced math degree to recognize they need something more.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 PM

35 posts, read 52,455 times
This is coming from someone who grew up here.

THERE IS NOTHING FOR CHILDREN TO DO HERE
Unless you have an unlimited supply of money, do drugs, or drink alcohol. And yes, I knew people who did this when they were 12 and in middle school.

Most people I went to school with did some kind of drug by the time they were starting high school. I was straight-edge until recently. :3 But I'm 21 so alcohol is okay now. Or whatever.

For those of you who don't know, to use the Radison's water park, you have to spend a night in the hotel/pay for a room. And only certain packages let you into the water park. So it's not like I can load up a group of my friends and go spend a day at the water park, I have to pay for a room/package to get in. That's expensive...I imagine going to a watermark somewhere else is just as expensive. Plus they limit how many people are allowed in the room, and it's just not welcoming for children/tweens/teens!

And the Water Monkey/Mania 'water park' at Uncle Cliff's is supposedly bigger now, but it's a water-park inside a tiny theme park. It's not going to be very fun for people over the age of 10. I went to the original Water Monkeys and it was targeted towards toddlers and younger children, there were too many rules and not enough room to really do anything 'fun' unless you consider going down a normal playground-sized water slide into wading-pool deep water fun! And I went when I was like 10 or 11, and had never been to any sort of water park before. This might not be true today...the last time I was at Cliff's was my 12th birthday party, so it could be way better for all I know!

Point is--there really isn't anything for average New Mexican kids/teens to do here unless their parents have a lot of money they're willing to spend. Explora isn't free. The Zoo isn't free. The Library is, but how many kids are going to go there to read? No, they're going there to use the computers. I don't know about other kids, but when I was home for summer, the last thing I wanted to do was read, even if it was a required summer assignment.
I think this is why so many kids spend copious amounts of time on the internet, getting into things they shouldn't.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:53 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Is the problem lack of a Water Park, lack of recreation
No. There is plenty of things to do for kids around the city. There is even a local magazine geared to Children's activities. Yes, a lot of things cost money. But, most are not very expensive and the more expensive ones have programs for the disadvantage financially.

New Mexico Kids! - Family Magazine

Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,145 times
Soccer? Basketball? Football? Studying? Thinking? Stargazing? Chores? Walking the dog? Hiking? Camping? Building something? Reading a fictional book?

There is plenty for kids to do, even without the latest gaming device. Most of those things don't cost much.

I'm going to go do something right now. I'm going to go for a walk in a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:44 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Soccer? Basketball? Football? Studying? Thinking? Stargazing? Chores? Walking the dog? Hiking? Camping? Building something? Reading a fictional book?

There is plenty for kids to do, even without the latest gaming device. Most of those things don't cost much.

I'm going to go do something right now. I'm going to go for a walk in a beautiful neighborhood.
I don't think Albuquerque lacks for kid's activities. Beyond the outdoorsy stuff you mentioned, there are free programs and movies in the summers, numerous (very cheap) public swimming pools, and a diverse compliment of arcades, movie theaters, comic book shops, coffee joints, and late-night diners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque