Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
I don't think Albuquerque lacks for kid's activities. Beyond the outdoorsy stuff you mentioned, there are free programs and movies in the summers, numerous (very cheap) public swimming pools, and a diverse compliment of arcades, movie theaters, comic book shops, coffee joints, and late-night diners.
Great suggestions. I think we if we put our heads together we could make a pretty long list of things that fun people do, and the bored people would just keep being boring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 PM

35 posts, read 52,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
I don't think Albuquerque lacks for kid's activities. Beyond the outdoorsy stuff you mentioned, there are free programs and movies in the summers, numerous (very cheap) public swimming pools, and a diverse compliment of arcades, movie theaters, comic book shops, coffee joints, and late-night diners.

I totally forgot about the like, two Comic Conventions in Albuquerque, and you reminded me!
Bubonicon and Albuquerque Comic Expo (ACE)--They both occur in the summer, happen for three days and are really freaking fun, if you're the kind to go to a place with people in costumes without being a jerk, or are a die-hard fan of something. I started going to conventions via Otaku Mex in 2008, an ABQ, Anime-based con and it was totally awesome--I don't know if they still happen, though!

ACE is happening some time this month/June, so there's that!
But they're somewhat expensive, and you -have- to have a pass...And a lot of money to buy the awesome merchandise in the dealer's room!

Oh, and if you're a kid you kinda really need adult supervision--Although there are kids who ask super heroes for help when they need it ( https://imgur.com/gallery/HjuQg ) it's definitely a requirement! I know my parents wouldn't have gone with me when I was younger, so unless the kids have awesome geeky parents who would kill to take their kid to one, it's kind of unlikely to see 'normal' kids convincing their parents to take them/let them go with a chaperone and pay for a pass.* I'm not sure if the every teenager would like going, but all the people I hung around liked them or wanted to go to one really bad, so I figure large groups of people are also into them, even if they're only going because they want to get Stan Lee's autograph, or because the cast of Being Human is going to be there, you see where I'm going with this I hope.

*This may be completely inaccurate, and as it's on the internet it's highly unlikely to be a true statement anyways

Old 06-08-2014, 11:45 PM

426 posts, read 1,086,680 times
No to comic con and bubonicon and comic book stores and all that. I've taken my brother's kids to all those places (and others like it) on several occasions and a good number of people there were jerks. We were outsiders encroaching on their geek territory. I don't want some virgin half my age talking down to me just because his limited experience of the world and human relationships allowed him to become an expert in everything comic book related, and I especially don't want any kid in my care thinking this type of behavior is acceptable.

Granted, there are many people at these places that are all right, but the unpleasant individuals have the "normal" people at such events outnumbered.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:41 PM

35 posts, read 52,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
No to comic con and bubonicon and comic book stores and all that. I've taken my brother's kids to all those places (and others like it) on several occasions and a good number of people there were jerks. We were outsiders encroaching on their geek territory. I don't want some virgin half my age talking down to me just because his limited experience of the world and human relationships allowed him to become an expert in everything comic book related, and I especially don't want any kid in my care thinking this type of behavior is acceptable.

Granted, there are many people at these places that are all right, but the unpleasant individuals have the "normal" people at such events outnumbered.

But that's just my opinion.
You must have liked sports in school. Or perhaps you didn't like going to the conventions because instead of paying attention to how totes hawt you looked, the geeks actually cared about how you treated them? We actually have feelings and care about things...just like you. Fancy that!

I really hope you were just having a bad day and don't normally think like this---some of the best people I've met were at conventions! Also, it's immature to be slinging the 'V' word around like that. I could make some very rude assumptions about the kind of person you are regarding your particular love life(I won't), and throwing that word around as though it's an insult speaks volumes about a person's character. Being a virgin isn't a bad thing, you know.

But that's just my honest opinion.

Now to contribute to the thread one more time:
And as for other things to do in Albuquerque, I'm like, 90% sure there are Renaissance Fairs here, but just like with conventions, only awesome people like them. But that costs money and encourages children to play dress up, just like conventions, and heaven forbid children do something completely normal, like express interest in something that isn't seen as being 'normal' or 'acceptable', such as dressing up as a Princess, or something they're actually not. I think things like this are great, and every child should go to something like that at least once in their lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque