Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share what we did last week during Spring Break, in case anyone with kids is looking to fill some time:

*Went to the UNM Duck Pond (free parking on the weekend) and fed the ducks. The library has a Starbucks in it now, but it is closed Sat and open at 5pm on Sunday.

*Zoo - spent many hours there. I highly suggest spending the $$ on taking the zoo train that loops around within the zoo. It is not the most thrilling ride, but it is a nice break off of your feet. Some little kids fall asleep from the vibration - it is relaxing. Kids did the camel ride ($3.50 per child).

*Explora! - Spent 4 hours there and STILL did not get to all of the exhibits. Favorites of my kids: the sand dam interactive exhibit, bubbles, the playground, the "lincoln log" building area on the roof, and the Paradox Cafe (parents, good time to get off of your feet) - even the little kids who cannot do the puzzles at the cafe can play with them. We brought lunch and ate it on the roof.

*Aquarium/Botanical Gardens - 3.5 hours there and again, did not get around to all of the gardens. Had lunch in the Gardens. Went to the farm (there are clean bathrooms in the farmhouse), waved at the train, and said hi to the horses and other livestock. We hit both indoor garden buildings and the Mediterranean garden is a nice humid break from the dry air. Of course, no trip is complete without time spent in the childrens' garden. The Aquarium has divers in the shark tank beginning at 2pm and it was very popular, but the crowd thinned at about 215pm, making it easier to get to the tank. There is also a Tide Pool where you can touch the animals, hours vary by volunteer schedule. My favorite is the jellyfish - there is a bench you can sit on and just zone out watching the jellies for a few min. My kids like the eels, which are in the corridor where you are completely underwater.

*NM Museum of Natural History aka the Dinosaur Museum, and Planetarium -
We got there shortly after 9am and had the place pretty much to ourselves. The docents were incredibly friendly and answered all of my kids' questions. Kids' favorites were the Jurassic room, the fossil named (I think) Dragonis Hogwartis, the interactive computer stations, the naturalist room, the volcano and caves, and the EVOLATOR. We saw "Enchanted Skies" at the Planetarium.

*The National Museum of Nuclear History (I think - old name "National Atomic Museum") - We went during opening weekend and it was very crowded, but fun. There is an interactive kids area with marble runs, etc...(kind of like a mini explora!) My kids' favorite was the machine where you turn a crank to create hydrogen gas and hit a button to make a ball pop up high in the air. Heritage Park (the outdoor exhibit) has old planes and will include more later this summer. They have a piece of the Berlin Wall on display as well.

I did all of this with a 10yo, 7yo, 6yo and 20 month old. They all enjoyed it, though I plan on returning to the Natural History and Nuclear History museum with just the 10 yo so he and I can both get more out of the visit.

There is obviously more than this to do in ABQ but I definitely filled a week with these activities.

Feel free to add your "things to do" with reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
*The National Museum of Nuclear History (I think - old name "National Atomic Museum") - We went during opening weekend and it was very crowded, but fun. There is an interactive kids area with marble runs, etc...(kind of like a mini explora!)
Yes, they had a name change or two. It use to be located on Kirtland Air Force Base I guess from the 60's till about five years ago.

It has always been popular. Not too may museums like it.

Thanks for the write up. I'm not aware of Explora! where is it?

Rich

Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Explora! is on Mountain at 18th. Pretty much next to the Dinosaur museum, across from the park. Very very very hands-on for kids. They have an adults-only night once a month as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:10 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
The Natural History Museum still has the Evolator... still sponsored by Creamland?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:28 PM

If Creamland sponsors it it was not prominent, at least not to me, as in the guy on the video did not drink some "delicious creamy Creamland milk" on his trip through time, but I cannot say for sure whether they do or not.

Forgot to mention, the Evolator is another great opportunity for parents to sit down, as you are stuck in a large "elevator" and the kids are entertained.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
We're hoping to get to the zoo this weekend, if the weather cooperates. (no point in going if its real windy) Got to get our season pass this time. We've been so many times, we could of bought 10 yrs worth of passes by now.

Also, planning to go to Tingley to take the grandson fishing and see if he likes that.

Have not been to Explora yet, but plan to check it out soon.

We like to have lunch at the aquarium and watch the fish swim by. Very relaxing.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
If Creamland sponsors it it was not prominent, at least not to me, as in the guy on the video did not drink some "delicious creamy Creamland milk" on his trip through time, but I cannot say for sure whether they do or not.

Forgot to mention, the Evolator is another great opportunity for parents to sit down, as you are stuck in a large "elevator" and the kids are entertained.
They may have changed the video since I was last there (think mid 90's). Is there still the lava flow that you have to walk over? As kids we were terrified by it!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Nope. you just step into the elevator room and watch a video. Lights flash etc....but no lava.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM

No lava under plexi-glass on the floor before the elevator? Too bad, it was sooo scary (as a kid).

Old 04-09-2009, 07:44 AM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
I think lisdol hit most of the high spots.

Explora! is a hands-on science museum. There's all sorts of interactive activities, a rooftop area with giant lincoln logs, a toddler space and a closed in outdoor playground with picnic tables and a playground. Tiguex city park is right across the road if you need more space. The adult nights are fun. A little more time to actually explore the exhibits and usually have some nice live music.

I would add the indoor kart track ( I miss Malibu Speedway! Used to be just off I-25 and had a huge arcade and multiple kart tracks. ), Golfernoggins (indoor mini golf for toddlers/younglings), Hinkley family fun center, Cliff's amusement park, the Rio Grande Nature Center (the volunteer kept gardens are getting huge!) catching an Isotopes game and the Maloof airpark on the west side (R/C airplanes. Usually fascinating the boys that are bored with everything else.). The Ramada on I-40 will have the new indoor water park done in May. Also, the city has pools all over. My wife just took the girls to a place called 'Hoots'. It was a little pricey, but the girls fell asleep on the way home and took a nice long nap after the car to bed transfer, a good indication of the fun they had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque