Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,303 times

Advertisements

AbqTeacher

You just have to do it. I moved 2000 miles away from my family 30 years ago. (Chicago to Tempe, AZ) It worked out fantastic. Actually got along better with my mom. You are not betraying them. Just stay in touch. They will now have a reason to travel to NM and they will like it.

Just try it. If it doesn't work, so be it, but I believe it will work out for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:16 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,041 times
Nita,

I understand your points. I've also thought a lot about whether I'm attaching the whole "teenage years" feeling to NM, or if it is something else. TBH, for the first year or two within moving I think it was just simple nostalgia, but after seeing, accepting, and respecting what the midwest has to offer, I really don't believe it's right for me. I am very thankful for the experience, however, since developing the understanding that each place has its own unique experience to offer has helped me grow. That said, I'll list a few of the non-nostalgia reasons I miss the SW, especially NM.

-The climate. Compare a NM winter to a IL winter and...well...yeah. I like my sun shining, please...

-Outdoors activities. While IL does offer some outdoor recreation, it's almost totally centered around hunting and fishing with only a few really good hiking/camping areas. In contrast, NM has quite a bit of both BLM land and State-owned land that's accessible for recreation. You can also get a primitive and isolated feeling easier in NM, while in the midwest it's nearly impossible. Small things, yeah, but they add up I suppose.

-More open. I like trees somewhat, but I like the feeling of the open sky, and I like having a view.

-Sunsets. Well...self-explanatory here.

Those are just a few that I've been thinking about the past few years. Anyways, thanks a lot for your response- I appreciate having a second opinion that presents another side to the question.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
nmnita warned:

> Monster isn't what it is cracked up to be. ...
> Craigslist is also questionable..

Many people don't like these sites because they get discouraged
because they send out hundreds of resumes without hearing a peep
back from the recipients.

They are fine if you are pretty much a perfect match for whatever
job ad you are responding to. I've gotten work from them and also
sent out hundreds of resumes for nothing.

Remember that those posting those ads are also getting thousands
of responses - many so totally missing the mark that it's just not worth
it to respond in any way - even as a curtesy.

email has made it so easy to just 'pop' stuff off to an ad that the "good
old days" of getting a "ding" letter are over. FYI: those days weren't
so good anyway.

If you have any doubt about the wonderful quality of cover letters and
resumes slinging around out there, just ask truckzter about it. She grades
English papers for a living.

JDTH encouraged:

> You just have to do it. I moved 2000 miles away from my family ...
> It worked out fantastic. ... They will now have a reason to travel
> to NM and they will like it.

This was exactly my experience.

AbqTeacher originally posted:

> ..... I'm not sure how to do this ....

Just wait until you have everything figured out. Make sure your finances
are perfect and you have the perfect place to live and the perfect job
lined up and are driving the perfect car and have the perfect significant
other and just generally everything should be just perfect.

That way, you'll never have to make the move and experience the stress
of just "go(ing) ahead and jump(ing)!" - per Zizzer.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:42 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Check out teaching on Indian Reservations as well as the public schools. In any case - do it! Try for a smaller school district. In a big school you are just another teacher in a small school you are bound to be noticed. Also call you teen girlfriend. You never know, she might be unattached and remember you.

hell, I'm forty years older than you and I plan on living in NM in a couple of years.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
Nita,

I understand your points. I've also thought a lot about whether I'm attaching the whole "teenage years" feeling to NM, or if it is something else. TBH, for the first year or two within moving I think it was just simple nostalgia, but after seeing, accepting, and respecting what the midwest has to offer, I really don't believe it's right for me. I am very thankful for the experience, however, since developing the understanding that each place has its own unique experience to offer has helped me grow. That said, I'll list a few of the non-nostalgia reasons I miss the SW, especially NM.

-The climate. Compare a NM winter to a IL winter and...well...yeah. I like my sun shining, please...

-Outdoors activities. While IL does offer some outdoor recreation, it's almost totally centered around hunting and fishing with only a few really good hiking/camping areas. In contrast, NM has quite a bit of both BLM land and State-owned land that's accessible for recreation. You can also get a primitive and isolated feeling easier in NM, while in the midwest it's nearly impossible. Small things, yeah, but they add up I suppose.

-More open. I like trees somewhat, but I like the feeling of the open sky, and I like having a view.

-Sunsets. Well...self-explanatory here.

Those are just a few that I've been thinking about the past few years. Anyways, thanks a lot for your response- I appreciate having a second opinion that presents another side to the question.
sounds like you have thought this through..good for you; much of what you say makes sense, especially the part about the climate and the wide open spaces if that is what you want.

We know a couple in Belen, that used to live right here in NWA. They were from Valencia county, for some reason moved to Bella Vista, and after about 5 years she hated it. Well maybe she didn't hate it, but she missed her sister and got sick and tired of looking at trees. She longed for those wide open spaces and the chance to see for miles and miles. Now they are back in NM, enjoying thier autumn years.

There is beauty everywhere and there are good and bad experiences everywhere. I do not think IL would be our choice either.

Good luck, now finish that education and start looking for teaching jobs..

Nita

Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 AM

186 posts, read 639,985 times
Hey I'm a teacher so maybe my words could be useful. Best of luck to you. I would contact each school individually to see if they are hiring. Also, if you are serious about moving to ABQ, there is always an Albuquerque Public School job fair in May for new hires. Every school in APS is there and they do on the spot interviews, etc. It's really a great way to get your foot in the door and get your name out there. It worked for me. But, you have a few years to get that all ironed out.

Out of state licenses work for New Mexico, but some states simply recipricate to NM (makes it really easy). Other states, you must take additional tests to be licensed in NM, so you might want to ask the NM PED dept if Illinois simply recipricates to New Mexico or if other tests are required.

We're at polar opposites. I'm looking to move elsewhere. I love NM and see myself living here when I'm older. But i'm a recent graduate and feel there's so much out there in the world that I want a change for a while. But, with whatever happens, NM will always be my home.

Anyways, best of luck to you and if you need any advice/help/whatever, let me know.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM

429 posts, read 1,477,407 times
ABQTeacher... Here's my thoughts on moving so far from home at a reasonably young age and alone... My husband & I were married young (20) and once we both received our Associate's he decided he wanted to go on to get a BS. He looked at several schools and opted for the Univ of WA in Seattle. So at 21, we packed our rental truck and made the big move. ALL of our family was in Texas & NM. We were on our own.

It was hard, especially the first few years while he was in school. But we did and stayed there for 15 years. Neither of us EVER regrets the move. I think it helped us grow up and while neither of our parents were too thrilled I also think it helped them as well. While in Ft Worth, we spent EVERY weekend at our parents house(our parents lived within a quarter-mile of each other). When we made plans, on set of parents or the other would 'guilt' us into changing them to spend time with them - help them with this or that around the house, etc. It was almost like we never left home & got married (faults on both sides about letting that happen and that's not what this post is about).

I think it is terrific for children to move away, even if it's just for a few months or a year or two. It certainly helped us be more independent and helped (forced) our parents to understand we also had lives to live.

One thing that was hard was the cost of going back to visit them, especially when we were just starting out. We made it about once a year and that was hard as we did MISS them terribly. We moved back in Sept 08 as our parents are aging and declining in health. But again, we never-ever regret our stint in Seattle. I'll admit as I see my mom's health declining I wish I had been able to see her more before but... its life in this day & age. You are always just a flight away...

Ultimately its your choice and what you are comfortable with - your parents & family will be sad and may even make you feel guilty at times (ours did) but ours also admit it was good for us to go. Whatever your decision, they are your parents & family and guilt or anger or not - they will still love you no matter where you go. Just sit down, discuss it with them, tell them what you told us. Let them know you value their input and would LOVE to have their support and how important this is for you. Maybe it will work out and you'll stay forever, maybe you'll get here and turn around and head home... wherever life leads you... there you are.

Good luck with school and with your decision.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:26 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
Hey I'm a teacher so maybe my words could be useful. Best of luck to you. I would contact each school individually to see if they are hiring. Also, if you are serious about moving to ABQ, there is always an Albuquerque Public School job fair in May for new hires. Every school in APS is there and they do on the spot interviews, etc. It's really a great way to get your foot in the door and get your name out there. It worked for me. But, you have a few years to get that all ironed out.

Out of state licenses work for New Mexico, but some states simply recipricate to NM (makes it really easy). Other states, you must take additional tests to be licensed in NM, so you might want to ask the NM PED dept if Illinois simply recipricates to New Mexico or if other tests are required.

We're at polar opposites. I'm looking to move elsewhere. I love NM and see myself living here when I'm older. But i'm a recent graduate and feel there's so much out there in the world that I want a change for a while. But, with whatever happens, NM will always be my home.

Anyways, best of luck to you and if you need any advice/help/whatever, let me know.
There is no job fair for the Albuquerque Public Schools this May due to the lack of new job openings. There's usually over 150 new teaching openings per year. This year they say there will only 25. The jobs listed on the APS website are usually chock-full of openings this time of year, but the listings that are posted now say that the jobs are only offered to current APS employees. Class sizes will be larger in lieu of hiring more teachers. At least there are no lay-offs here like in other parts of the country. Rio Rancho has a hiring freeze. I don't know about other districts in the state. You might have better luck in a smaller district, at least for now.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
There is no job fair for the Albuquerque Public Schools this May due to the lack of new job openings. There's usually over 150 new teaching openings per year. This year they say there will only 25. The jobs listed on the APS website are usually chock-full of openings this time of year, but the listings that are posted now say that the jobs are only offered to current APS employees. Class sizes will be larger in lieu of hiring more teachers. At least there are no lay-offs here like in other parts of the country. Rio Rancho has a hiring freeze. I don't know about other districts in the state. You might have better luck in a smaller district, at least for now.
the OP will not even graduate until next year and then has student teaching to do. Hopefully the market will be better in another year. I think the problem and we have it here in AR as well; so many are deciding to go into teaching and families are having fewer kids...Our own granddaughter ran into a problem last year..She graduated with top grades and couldn't even get a job as a teachers aide.

Nita

Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the OP will not even graduate until next year and then has student teaching to do. Hopefully the market will be better in another year. I think the problem and we have it here in AR as well; so many are deciding to go into teaching and families are having fewer kids...Our own granddaughter ran into a problem last year..She graduated with top grades and couldn't even get a job as a teachers aide.

Nita
Things will turn around, but the question is "when?" There may be lay-offs the year after next. Each department had to cut their budgets by 10% to avoid layoffs for the next school year. Teachers are also taking a slight pay cut for the next two years (actually an increase in our contributions to retirement health care) which amounts to 1.5% of our salary.

Hopefully things will turn around in a few years. Many teachers are holding off on retiring right now, but they can't work forever. Things will change eventually. Best of luck to the OP with college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque