Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 18,862 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are coming over to the US on vacation in a couple of weeks. We've lived in US before but never visited New Mexico, although always wanted to. Plan to fly into Phoenix and spend a few days travelling up to Monument Valley and then head down to either Albuquerque or Santa Fe...but here's the thing, which one should we base ourselves in for a few days or is there somewhere else we shouldn't miss. Of course we'll drive the Torquoise trail so will visit both, but not sure which one to stay in. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM

439 posts, read 1,221,259 times
From one Brit to another....

It would certainly be a lot cheaper to stay in Albuquerque. There's also a better range of affordable restaurants down here - you could easily drive to Santa Fe and stay there one night and spend the next day exploring Taos or some of the Rio Grande pueblos. I think Santa Fe can be done in a couple of days, whereas in Albuquerque you have Sandia tram, the Bosque, the Biopark, more regular shopping (the mall for example if you want to pick up some cheap clothing), the North Valley...

Depends how much driving you want to do of course, but Albuquerque is closer to White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns - both of which are AMAZING. Monument Valley is cool, but White Sands and Carlsbad are fantastic.

Enjoy your vacation!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Monument Valley is a good choice -

Torquoise Trail is a good choice - It is the slow scenic route between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, there are some small towns to visit on the route. But to get back quickly (to either location), use the Interstate, which is called "I-25"

I live in the Albuquerque area, Santa Fe has a lot to offer. That's just a matter of what you want to see.

Rich

Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,929 times
I have homes in Temps, AZ and Ruidoso, NM. If you are flying into Phoenix plan to head north as soon as possible. Actually we are experiencing a very mild spring (only 1 day at 100 degrees so far), but that should change very soon.

If you get a chance and are checking out southern NM take time to at least drive through Ruidoso. It is very nice mountain village pretty much in the middle of the desert. It is like an oasis. High elevation, cool temperatures, lots of pine trees, very friendly people.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,496 times
Maybe you can get to one of the NM pueblos during feast days. Here is the calender for those dates:
http://www.indianpueblo.org/19pueblos/feastdays.html

Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,032 times
Could you split the two?

In Albuquerque you could visit & shop in Old Town, ride the tram to the peak of the Sandia Mountains
Sandia Peak Tramway
and have dinner up there, visit to the Bio Park (zoo, Tingley Beach, and the botanical gardens),
Albuquerque Biological Park - City of Albuquerque
visit the Rio Grande Nature Center,
RGNC
and hike along the Rio Grande Bosque. If you do decide to park yourselves in Albuquerque, I also recommend you spend a day in the Jemez mountains where you can visit Battleship Rock, hike up to the hot springs (we prefer the McCauley Warm Springs which are outdoor water pools where the water is warm year round because the hot springs sit on top of underground volcanoes). There's also quaint little shops where you can pick things up lots cheaper than shopping in Albuquerque's Old Town or Santa Fe's Plaza:
ell_vp6_brain

On the way to Santa Fe you could stop at Coronado State Monument which is in Bernalillo.
Coronado State Monument

About 20 miles from there is Las Golondrinas which is an outdoor living museum.
El Rancho de las Golondrinas - a Spanish Colonial Living History Museum in Santa Fe

In Santa Fe there's plenty to see in and around the Santa Fe Plaza. Then, just a few miles outside of Santa Fe is Tesuque where the Shidoni Foundry is located -- a great getaway.
Shidoni*-*Home Page
Then head up to Toas for a day of shopping in town and a visit to the Toas Pueblo. Taos Pueblo - New Mexico Native American Indians

If you must make one your home base, I'd vote for Santa Fe. There's plenty of inexpensive hotels (LaQuinta, Holiday Inn etc..). Or, to have a real New Mexico experience, you could rent a casita vacation home, but that would cost more.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,408 times
The Cat Walk in Southwestern New Mexico is a MUST SEE! Near Glenwood.
Glenwood, New Mexico - Hike the Catwalk Trail, Gila National Forest & Wilderness Area

Old 05-04-2009, 04:16 AM

Thanks so much for the info ...I checked out White Sands and Carlsbad, amazing....will definitely visit...thinking we might spend a few days in both Santa Fe and Albuquerque and drive around some too!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 AM

Thinking we will spend time in both......so much to see....especially Shidoni in Tesuque, I know I'll love everything there....Sandia Peak Tramway, normally a bit nervous about these but going up there for dinner sounds like a 'not to be missed'....thanks!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I have homes in Temps, AZ and Ruidoso, NM. If you are flying into Phoenix plan to head north as soon as possible. Actually we are experiencing a very mild spring (only 1 day at 100 degrees so far), but that should change very soon.

If you get a chance and are checking out southern NM take time to at least drive through Ruidoso. It is very nice mountain village pretty much in the middle of the desert. It is like an oasis. High elevation, cool temperatures, lots of pine trees, very friendly people.
Ah, so now I think I've worked out how to let you know I'm replying to your post ...... Ruidoso does look lovely, I'm sure we will visit. We love to drive around and visit villages and towns, best way to see real life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque