U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM

3,460 posts, read 3,125,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
I'm aware of Ventana West, we live around Unser/Irving so we're practically neighbors. You did not buy in the S Valley...you went north like we did.
I was referring to the question about nice areas in the South Valley. Most of the new developments S of I-40 are already full of grafitti, weeds, for sale/rent signs etc. We looked at our builder's development down there and it was priced about 20% lower. They were closing out that development as well as ours at the same time. Their model home was already trashed and that development looks really bad there, compared to ours which is still nicely landscaped, not as much of a weed problem, no grafitti. It will be interesting to see how those S of I-40 areas look in 5 years.
Yea, Its really odd to see how that area got like that. For how new the area is you think that the people/neighborhood associations would take care of the place. I like in my area how they keep the medians and the yards maintained. I'm always concerned about my front yard, same with my house in Las Vegas those subdivsions are getting pretty trashy.

I have family on southern Unser near that area, Mostly Mexicans are their neighbors and the weeds rule their yards.

Word into my department, Housing construction has begun there again, I wouldnt doubt it if they make it all the way Dennis Chavez road in three or four years. That southwest mesa area was nothing back in the day.. No one even knew that land would be ever used.

And yea, Neighbors!! Wooo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM

3,696 posts, read 5,852,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
OK, serious, no bull question...

Where ARE those neighborhoods? I lived in the South Valley 40 years ago off Isletta
and thought that (at that time) it was a nice, lower middle income, working class,
blue collar neighborhood where guys mowed the lawn, washed their cars on Saturday,
dressed neatly, worried about their kids' homework, etc., etc., in short, Pleasantville
with a Spanish flavor.

I haven't seen that in the drives I've taken through the valley since we returned.
Could you describe where these nice areas are?
Who said anything about the South Valley? There are $1000000+ homes in the valley. Think Rio Grande/Bosque trail homes.

Unread 06-29-2009, 10:47 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,529,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Who said anything about the South Valley? There are $1000000+ homes in the valley. Think Rio Grande/Bosque trail homes.
Ahhhhhh... I misread.

Yes, I completely agree with you, now.

Unread 01-21-2010, 04:37 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,397,095 times
Default News flash

Burglaries Drop in Northwest Area Command

burglaries-drop-in-northwest-area-command (http://www.cabq.gov/police/burglaries-drop-in-northwest-area-command.html - broken link)

Unread 01-21-2010, 04:58 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,529,640 times
Sh-h-h-h-h-s-s-s-s-h!! Don't tell Rybert....

Unread 01-21-2010, 05:00 PM

310 posts, read 291,035 times
I was driving around Enchanted Hills the other day, noticing all the police cars parked in driveways here. Represented were Bernalillo County (Enchanted hills is in Sandoval), Santa Ana, Sandia, and Albuquerque police.

Does it say something that they don't live in their own jurisdiction, but choose Sandoval/Rio Rancho rural instead?

-Z

Unread 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM

More crime map data. CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Unread 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM

5,667 posts, read 5,748,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandyman View Post
I was driving around Enchanted Hills the other day, noticing all the police cars parked in driveways here. Represented were Bernalillo County (Enchanted hills is in Sandoval), Santa Ana, Sandia, and Albuquerque police.

Does it say something that they don't live in their own jurisdiction, but choose Sandoval/Rio Rancho rural instead?

-Z
It says that Albuquerque cop salaries are low. It's the same thing in New York City; Copland (the neighborhoods that cops live in) is in the considerably more affordable New Jersey suburbs.

ABQConvict

Unread 01-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It says that Albuquerque cop salaries are low. It's the same thing in New York City; Copland (the neighborhoods that cops live in) is in the considerably more affordable New Jersey suburbs.

ABQConvict

Really? I thought their pay was pretty decent considering the cost of living isn't relatively high.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Unread 01-22-2010, 01:15 PM

724 posts, read 1,025,936 times
Someone I know recently tried out for the APD academy. He told me there were 1300 applicants for 30 training slots. Of course, the economy must have a lot to do with that...I don't know what a typical response would be for training slots at APD's academy in a better economy. Based on comments from the guy who tried to get into the academy, he thinks APD pays pretty well compared to a number of other cities. But...I kind of think the pay may not be in line with typical housing costs in Albuquerque, and you can sure get a lot more house for the buck in places like Rio Rancho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque