Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times

Advertisements

Article in section D in Albuquerque Journal:

Thursday, May 21, 2009
Duke City's a hotbed for cycling enthusiasts -- By Glen Rosales
-----------------------------------------------------------
... 400 miles of bike paths, trails and lanes — twice that of New York City ...

... League of American Bicyclists lists Albuquerque as the
third most-friendly bicycle city in its population group,
behind Portland, Ore., and Austin.

City routes crisscross and bisect Albuquerque, ...
... buses are equipped with bicycle holders. ...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Although 400 miles are counted as bicycle trails, I would guess that only 200 miles are a "trail" I would ride on. The "lanes" clogged with glass, sand, pebbles and with no actual barrier to traffic blasting by on streets like Pennsylvania and such just don't hold any attraction for me.

I *do* use the sidewalk on streets like Alameda where there is no alternate, but I'll go a couple blocks out of my way to just find a quiet residential street. I've seen nutballs driving down streets like Alameda - even under the freeway, but ... well, that's just nuts. ( I walk my bike under there. )

Albuquerque probably has the biggest elevation gain across it's section of any "bike friendly" city. From the river to Tramway is over 1,000 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Morty, I ride Pennsylvania everyday. It's not that bad. Except when the "Bike Lane" becomes no wider than my shoulders (i.e. the gutter). I've tried using the Bike Boxes, but there are those drivers that FREAK THE FUDGE OUT when you pull-up in front of them... they hate it.

I think we're probably a bit over-rated, but I'll take what we can get.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I'm really happy about the recent developments in bicycle infrastructure here in Albuquerque, but the comparison to NYC is a little bit of a stretch where the quality of bike lanes is concerned.

Neither city has it entirely figured out yet (even Portlanders complain about the gaps and inefficiencies in their cycling infrastructure), but it is nice to be at the head of the pack in some good company.

How are other cities in the metro-area doing? Rio Rancho, the rio communities, etc.? It would be nice if there were a master plan to link all of the Middle Rio Grande region.

ABQConvict

Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM

I LOVE that idea Convict! An mulit-city, multi-use master plan. Stimulus money anybody?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
I do kind of wonder how these rankings were determined. For example, we see that Austin is ranked #1. Yet...I've heard from a few cyclists that although the city is great about putting bike lanes everywhere, no one does anything about the problem of so many people simply choosing to park their cars in the bike lanes. I don't know if that's the case or not...I have no first-hand experience cycling in Austin...just what I've heard from a few.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
rybert exclaimed:

> Morty, I ride Pennsylvania everyday. It's not that bad.

It might be that you simply have larger, er, ... eggs than I do.
I'm a wussy. Really.
I'd rather move over a block and ride up Dallas or Rhode Island.

> I think we're probably a bit over-rated, but I'll take what we can get.

Have you considered the possiblity that the best city on the list is actually just the least sucky?

ABQConvict chimed in:

> ... bit of a stretch where the quality of bike lanes is concerned.

Albuquerque recently re-paved the Tramway trail from Montgomery to Academy. Previously, there were gaps large enough for my size 10 1/2 sneakers to fit in completely. More than once, I've twisted my ankle when walking. It also had elevation changes like a step function where your tire had to negotiate a 3" edge.

There are other ancient bits of pavement out there.

When they re-paved Tramway ( the street ), they left about 18" unpaved, at each edge so that bicycles have to crowd the automobile lanes more to avoid the uneven surface.

I've often thought that part-and-parcel of being a "bike city" would be one permanent position that did nothing but ride the trails in a Zamboni-type machine that would clean off all the crap that accumulates. In addition, where the trail is not separate from the road for the big-egg-riders, special trips should be made by the conventional street sweepers at least once a week.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:43 AM

It may be that I'm not very intelligent.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
hahahaha! Hey, what's the best way to go E --> W from the far side of I-25 to cross the river on the north side of town? (@ Paseo del Norte)

http://www.cabq.gov/bike/pdf/2007BikeMapSide1.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-27-2009, 06:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How are other cities in the metro-area doing? Rio Rancho, the rio communities, etc.?
Rio Rancho has some bike paths, future paths etc. Maps are on this page: The Official Site of Rio Rancho, NM - Parks, Bike Paths, Open Space & Trails

Rich

Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
I still cant believe the mayor is focusing on becoming a top bike city..

We should be aiming for something the whole city can benefit from.. sadly, none such luck.
But Yay!!! 3rd for biking.. I hope all the bikers check us out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque