Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,575 times

Advertisements

Pomona...You can probably learn a lot by doing some searches on the Albuquerque forum for snow, rainfall, humidity, neighborhoods.

Comments:
Flash Floods - New Mexico has the 10th highest per capita rate for flash flood deaths since 1959. This is mainly due to people driving through water when they shouldn't. We have a lot of arroys around Albuquerque that were built to carry water down toward the Rio Grande. It's just important to let them "do their thing" and get out of the way when Mother Nature is doing her thing.

Fires - Main fire season in and near Albuquerque is during the hottest, driest part of the spring just before thunderstorm (monsoon) season arrives in early to mid July.

Lightning - During the period June-August, parts of New Mexico rival central Florida for "lightning strike capital" of the nation. In shear numbers, New Mexico does not have nearly the death count that Florida does. But...New Mexico ranks 1st or 2nd (depending on the methodology of the study) in lightning deaths per capita. There are a number of reasons for this (lots of thunderstorms in the summer...people get fooled by clouds that may look fairly benign put produce lightning...people don't take shelter because it may not be raining...on and on).

Snowfall - Average annual ranges from about 4-8 inches along the Rio Grande to about 25 inches at elevations above 6000 feet along the western slopes of the Sandia Mountains (far eastern edge of the city). Bedroom communities on the other side of the Sandia/Manzano Mountains average 40-60 inches.

Cold - Historically, the average minimum temperature for the year is 5 to 10 degrees above zero, though it's more often been around 10-12 degrees the past 20 years or so. Coldest nights of the year will usually be at the lowest elevations (along the Rio Grande), but, in some years, colder readings are recorded in the highest elevations of the city. Coldest on record was -17 at the airport, and -20 to -25 along the Rio Grande (1971).

Freezes - Last of the season is usually mid April in the "thermal belt" region of the city...generally 5200-5800 foot elevation, and at the very end of April or first week of May in the Valley (around 5000 feet) and Foothills region above 6000 feet. First freeze of the autumn typically ranges from early October in the Valley and Foothills to mid or even late October elsewhere.

Boulder versus Albuquerque - Albuquerque is drier. Depending on what part of Boulder you're talking about, their average annual precipitation ranges from 16 to about 22 inches. Albuquerque ranges from about 8 inches in the Valley to 13-15 inches at the highest elevations. Afternoon humidity is lower in Albuquerque too. For example, during April-June, afternoon humidity in Boulder averages about 38 percent for that 3-month period, while Albuquerque averages 18 percent. And Boulder generally does not get days with humidity of 3 or 4 percent...while that happens on a few spring days every year in Albuquerque. It's the kind of thing that can take your lips off.

I'm sure others have plenty of comments on the neighborhoods. I live in a very unfunky part of town. Good luck with your research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
I have to chuckle at all the comments about an hour's rain ~ I'm hailing from NE Florida where we had non-stop flooding and gale force winds for 1 SOLID WEEK and it's not even hurricane season yet!

That's a lead up to my question about the weather in beautiful Alb. ~ I hear there are major flash flood for about 30 minutes in the streets during the rains - is this common? How bad are the thunderstorms and lightening, any danger of constant fires? My husband and I are looking to move from FL and I love the open skies and sunsets of the desert but need some green vegetation - we are looking for a New Age part of town with the funky bookstores, health food stores, farmers markets (can one buy watermelons, berries, any mangos in NM?), in an older but SAFE neighborhood where the houses are not cookie cutter, are smaller w/ streets that are walkable and good for biking - no cul de sacs or gated communities. Any neighborhood names would be most appreciated. We are a fit middle aged couple who don't do all the outdoor sports but want a city that is good for walking, art galleries, bookstores, etc. Any advice on areas to stay out of would be great (i.e. i like to sleep w/ my windows open) Any organic or raw food stores in the city?

Also how cold do the winters get? Is there any snow and how long does the cold weather last? Is there any humidity at all - I like the humid air but am hoping Alb. is not as dry as Boulder ~~

Thanks to any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 PM

81 posts, read 306,513 times
Thank you Mr Goodwx! Great info, you are an encyclopedia of info ~~ will take notes on your details on elevations and snowfalls, etc. Sounds like NM is a place of extremes, but then beauty too ~~

I'll take the advice and do more searches on the areas I'm interested in, there may be other threads w/ the details I want.

From reading this thread, Alb. sounds like a friendly, honest town with people who like who they are and don't judge anyone. Better energy than Florida where everything is for sale!

Many thanks to all ~ will start learning some Spanish!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Louisiana floods? Must have been before my time.

I know San Mateo was a mess back in 2005/2006.
Yes, Louisiana Blvd, we were in a stalled rental car in the southbound lane. We stopped, because the cars in front of us stopped and some stalled. We were by the Fairgrounds about two weeks before the State Fair. I will wager 20 cases of Cervesa it was 1997 or 98...

Does that answer the question?

Rich

Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Sure does.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 PM

47 posts, read 135,543 times
Man , this global warming sucks !

out

Dan

Old 05-31-2009, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 46,985 times
Default raining on the westside

by the golf course/ladera..we have dark clouds and some rain/sprinkles.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 23,915 times
I LOVE when it rains here. We need it more

Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
I love every evening how its cloudy.. and the sun shines on all the buildings in downtown. It makes me feel as if I live in the best city ever.. which is true btw,

Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
It's been pouring for almost an hour here on the westside

Well I am in NYC and it's been raining out here all day long non stop....

When my child woke up at 6:30am for school it was raining and now its 8:30pm and hasn't stopped raining

Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Default June 9; 9:30pm Pouring rain on the Westside

Really nice rain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque