U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,451,149 times
"Probably the biggest drawback to retiring in NM is health care! Or lack there of."

I am not sure what this means. My parents are retirees here and have no problems...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:45 PM

31 posts, read 57,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
I've seen those stats which I think are laughable! They put El Paso's population at 994,000 by 2013, their population in 2007 was 734,700. Maybe by 2030 but 2013 is ridiculous, El Paso would have to grow by 259,300 in 3 1/2 years....CRAZY growth. The chart on this thread is more reasonable, it puts it at 800,100 which I think is a little too low. By comparison Albuquerque was at 835,100 in 2007 and they have it at 956,700 in 2030...which I think is too low also.
Ft Bliss will have a large impact on that large jump in population. 30 000 soldiers alone doesn't take into count the number of family members. I too however have had a hard time understanding the prediction of just shy of one million in 2013.

Honestly, I think that if we hit one million our roads won't handle it! They are falling apart as is...at least the bus system is getting some improvements.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 PM

4,228 posts, read 6,084,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I certainly hope that when Albuquerque puts in light rail that they don't copy Portland's model.

What Portland has is a glorified bus. A very expensive glorified bus.
Your correct it is basically an expensive glorified bus system, especially the cable car as well as streetcar line. Both the Light Rail and streetcar line are being extended, and as usual Portland congratulates itself. I am very much in favor of transit in cities, but Portland's is more of a status symbol than an efficient system.

I hope ABQ will develop a transit system based on the populations needs, and not as a Status Symbol.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,271,129 times
El Paso wont see that kind of boom before 2013, I'm sorry but I'm an urban planner.. and believe me that sounds insane and pretty much impossible for that region, no offense to those who live there, dont get me wrong the are will see big growth, It wont pass Albuquerque's Metro anytime in the future thats forsure. Albuquerque has some big development plans underway, this recession is sorta holding them back, but homes on the west side are being built again, faster than I would expect.

Once Rio Rancho starts booming again, The Albuquerque-Rio Rancho Metro area will be on the top list. We are expecting good numbers for Rio Rancho. That city alone will be at 213,000 near 2015. It is growing about 8,000+ more on average than Albuquerque is a year.

This Streetcar plan should work, It wont be expensive from what i'm hearing here. Altough light rail connecting all sports and concert venues would have been nice too.. It was an idea, shut down. Some parts of town are favored than others...

Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,904,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
"Probably the biggest drawback to retiring in NM is health care! Or lack there of."

I am not sure what this means. My parents are retirees here and have no problems...?
Agreed. My wife gave birth to both of my kids in ABQ hospitals, we both had doctors (with needs to utilize them), I even had to utilize the very nice Heart Hospital, both of our kids had pediatricians there, etc., and it all - healthcare - was no better or worse really than anywhere else, but it was sufficient and just fine (in fact, my all-time favorite family doc was in ABQ).

Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM

4,228 posts, read 6,084,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
El Paso wont see that kind of boom before 2013, I'm sorry but I'm an urban planner.. and believe me that sounds insane and pretty much impossible for that region, no offense to those who live there, dont get me wrong the are will see big growth, It wont pass Albuquerque's Metro anytime in the future thats forsure. Albuquerque has some big development plans underway, this recession is sorta holding them back, but homes on the west side are being built again, faster than I would expect.

Once Rio Rancho starts booming again, The Albuquerque-Rio Rancho Metro area will be on the top list. We are expecting good numbers for Rio Rancho. That city alone will be at 213,000 near 2015. It is growing about 8,000+ more on average than Albuquerque is a year.

This Streetcar plan should work, It wont be expensive from what i'm hearing here. Altough light rail connecting all sports and concert venues would have been nice too.. It was an idea, shut down. Some parts of town are favored than others...
How extensive is this streetcar planned for the area? If you are familiar with Portland's streetcar is it similiar to ours? Portland was awarded a contract to build streetcars for USA cities. I don't know much about it, but I read that Tucson has ordered their cars from here.

If ABQ builds a streetcar line, I hope it will not be as stop and go as ours. I rarely ever take it because one could walk faster. It literally stops every 150 to 200 feet, and stops at every stop light in heavy traffic. Please don't model this streetcar line in your local constuction plans.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,271,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
How extensive is this streetcar planned for the area? If you are familiar with Portland's streetcar is it similiar to ours? Portland was awarded a contract to build streetcars for USA cities. I don't know much about it, but I read that Tucson has ordered their cars from here.

If ABQ builds a streetcar line, I hope it will not be as stop and go as ours. I rarely ever take it because one could walk faster. It literally stops every 150 to 200 feet, and stops at every stop light in heavy traffic. Please don't model this streetcar line in your local constuction plans.

Our streetcar is expected to go thre Central Ave, the city's mainstreet.
Thats Phase 1. Out of 3, or 4 I forgot. Someday It will go to the airport.

Its somewhat busy, but not busy enough for a streetcar, I think many other parts deserve a piece as well. But stops will be spread out. Very spread out. More condos and Urban development are set to take off on Central so this will probably increase ridership as time passes. Ours wont be much like portlands, its seems as if they made a mess with a good project. Ours is a median in the middle of the road type of deal that doesnt make a mess with traffic.

I just think our city should have thought of this along time ago.
In my opinion it will do well, because many people ride the "rapid Ride" and the city buses thre central, they are always crowded so it should help..

Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,195,513 times
Quote:
Our streetcar is expected to go thre Central Ave, the city's mainstreet.
Thats Phase 1. Out of 3, or 4 I forgot. Someday It will go to the airport.

Its somewhat busy, but not busy enough for a streetcar, I think many other parts deserve a piece as well. But stops will be spread out. Very spread out. More condos and Urban development are set to take off on Central so this will probably increase ridership as time passes. Ours wont be much like portlands, its seems as if they made a mess with a good project. Ours is a median in the middle of the road type of deal that doesnt make a mess with traffic.

I just think our city should have thought of this along time ago.
In my opinion it will do well, because many people ride the "rapid Ride" and the city buses thre central, they are always crowded so it should help..
Bradly, we HAD a streetcar a long time ago.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,904,171 times
Quote:
What is the advantage of a street car system over the Rapid Ride?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,195,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
What is the advantage of a street car system over the Rapid Ride?
No diesel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque