Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:33 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP
What is the advantage of a street car system over the Rapid Ride?
No advantage - unless you are a contractor on the job.
Better, if you are a consultant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert
No diesel?
Irrelevant. The Rapid ride busses are clean diesel.

If anyone is really offended by hybrid busses that mostly run mostly full, there is no reason that they could not be powered by electricity other than the unsightly wires bobbing up and down on Central Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Clean diesel?

I love the look of the streetcar infrastructure.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Clean diesel? ....
In other words, when the bus takes off from a stop, it doesn't leave a cloud of soot in the location where the bus was sitting.

Some new trucks STILL do this so that it is a pain to be behind them in your car. It's much worse if you are on a bike.

The buses in Albuquerque are so clean that you can walk right behind them without gasping for air.

It's not like you can wrap your lips around the exhaust pipe and inhale, but the emissions from the bus is likely to be much less than those of the thirty or fourty cars that would otherwise be employed to transport those riders.

My point about it being irrelevant is that people are always touting rail as being cleaner because passenger rail is primarly powered by electricity. Rail cars can be powered by the same things that can power a rubber tyred lorry.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I think the future of Albuquerque will look a lot like Pripyat, Ukraine.

ABConvict

Old 08-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Nice.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think the future of Albuquerque will look a lot like Pripyat, Ukraine.

ABConvict
Thanks for those kind words..

However, and sadly I have been there, Albuquerque will no where be like that in the future.

Maybe Lost Vegas will haha, thats more proper.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Bradly, we HAD a streetcar a long time ago.
I know that Rybert. That was a way different streetcar. This one cost millions more.. and is way more expensive. I dont mean that sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
What is the advantage of a street car system over the Rapid Ride?
Nothing really, but it will take its place.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Our streetcar is expected to go thre Central Ave, the city's mainstreet.
Thats Phase 1. Out of 3, or 4 I forgot. Someday It will go to the airport.

Its somewhat busy, but not busy enough for a streetcar, I think many other parts deserve a piece as well. But stops will be spread out. Very spread out. More condos and Urban development are set to take off on Central so this will probably increase ridership as time passes. Ours wont be much like portlands, its seems as if they made a mess with a good project. Ours is a median in the middle of the road type of deal that doesnt make a mess with traffic.

I just think our city should have thought of this along time ago.
In my opinion it will do well, because many people ride the "rapid Ride" and the city buses thre central, they are always crowded so it should help..
Thanks, I like the median in the middle of the road concept. Portland's streetcar runs in the street along with the buses and cars in a very densely packed in environment. I rarely ever take it since its so slow and crowded. When does the ABQ one start service, or is this a project that is in the planning stage. I was really surprised that Tucson is building one.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks, I like the median in the middle of the road concept. Portland's streetcar runs in the street along with the buses and cars in a very densely packed in environment. I rarely ever take it since its so slow and crowded. When does the ABQ one start service, or is this a project that is in the planning stage. I was really surprised that Tucson is building one.

We start like in late 2009, or early 2010. Not too sure yet.
Its actually nice Tucson is building one, my opinon, wont be successful. Thats just me though...

The bad thing about this project the city has to rip out about 6 miles of Median.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Wait, we're actually going to build a streetcar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque