Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 05:22 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,246 times

Advertisements

From the foothills near Lomas, about a block from open space, I have had: a coyote in the front yard, rabbits all around (thankfully not at the same time as the coyote!), roadrunners that sometimes get birds, hawks, crows, and ravens.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,246 times
PS The photos of the roadrunners are amazing!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:02 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Cool pics, Rich!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Thanks,

I need to get my animal pictures organized... Since I went digital, I can't get organized. I take pictures like crazy...

Rich

Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Since I went digital, I can't get organized. I take pictures like crazy...
Rich
I shot slightly over 1,000 pics in a day making my first full transit of the Panama Canal
and I regularly take a couple hundred on outings like the Durango train so even
being pretty critical of the results, I can generate a lot of shareable stuff in short order.

I've maxed out my online picture posting account with Picture Trail and I'm going
to have to set up my own website to post more. I really don't want to do that,
but if I want to keep on sharing photos, I'm going to be forced into it.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
There's a huge prairie dog commune (herd? litter? village?) at the Montgomery Park 'N Ride. They're really fun to watch. I saw a squirrel yesterday, first one I've seen since I moved here. I take it they're somewhat rare around here? Lots of rabbits around the office. Been seeing lizards/geckos the last couple of weeks too. Not much else, I must live in a dull neighborhood

Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Default Sightings of Actual Wild Animals in the Albuquerque Metro Area

This is what I found in my driveway in September 2006, Rio Rancho, NM. Looks like baby snake maybe trying to find it's
mother? While trying to get a better picture it slithered away into some shrubs.

This is a Black Widow preparing a lunch of ants. Wrapping them up with silk!. We have had them around the house
before, but not in the open like this. This web was from the curb to the bumper of my truck which was
unusual, It was a windy day, so everything was shaky, the web was shaking, live ants were crawling
everywhere. There was a large ant colony under the plastic covered by gravel which was the edge of
my front yard. I took this picture on September 11, 2006, Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Humming Bird and if you look closely a Bumble Bee at a Red Yucca plant, taken on October 5, 2008, Rio Rancho, NM

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-21-2010 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 01:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
AWESOME pics! Thanks for the contribution.

ABQConvict

Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
eieeee... not quite 'Querque but i'm close. All these critters are seen on my jaunts into Moriarty (except for a few on the way to or in Santa Rosa yesterday). Keep in mind we've only been here two weeks:

squirrel- Santa Rosa. Had to stop off the little booger.

antelope- interstate to SR. Greg sees them almost daily

lizards, lizards, lizards of allll sizes in my yard

birds, of course. Doves and ones with bright yellow bellies. Not to mention my *garage swallow* we seem to have. No barn yet, hence the garage moniker.

jack rabbits by the numbers, along with cottontails. We actually *have* a baby that lives in the backyard. Greg swears he's a jack rabbit-I think he's a regular ol' bunny. He'd probably fit in the palm of my hand and has a white smudge between his eyes and his ears. I've tossed out handfuls of veggie clippings and baby carrots not three feet from Junior and he's okay with it, as well as with the cats sitting at the sliding door begging to go um, play, with him.

hawk or falcon, not sure which one- don't know which resides here

amazingly enough, a GOLDEN EAGLE. We were headed to town through the cow pasture and saw this large bird sitting on a fence post. I kept thinking "Wow. He's letting us get close. Hawks in TN would have taken off by now." As we drew abreast of him, we saw that it was indeed a golden eagle. Sitting pretty as you please atop the post, eyeing the road.

Haven't seen 'yotes yet, but they were howling up a storm on Wednesday or Thursday night. I was out of town, but Greg and the kids heard them.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Greg just got home and said on his way in this morning, a prairie dog stopped in front of him (had one do that in Moriarty the other day- i'd forgotten about that) and he stopped. The dog started to dart off and a hawk swooped down and carried the poor sucker away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque