Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
To counteract the growing number of threads with ambiguous titles that may lead one to believe that Albuquerque is overrun with wild animals, I have decided to start a thread that concerns sightings of actual wild animals in the Albuquerque metro area.

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed a number of roadrunners in my area. This is after several years of only very occasional sightings. I have also seen a couple of grey squirrels which I had never seen until this year. Of course, sparrows, house finches, red-breasted thrushes and red-tailed hawks are in abundance as usual.

On the news last night there were reports of bears in the Heights and Rio Rancho.

Anyone else have an encounter with wild animals lately?

ABQConvict
Well, we lived just east of Belen for 7 years and the most exciting creatures we was were::: a few rabbits every morning, sometimes at night and sometimes in our garden, the garden part I would do without.

Here, in NWA I was coming home from a bridge game yesterday afternoon about 4:30, I so wished I had my camera because just about a block from our house, right in the middle of the street was mommy and her two babies: The kids still had their spots (couldn't have been very old) and they were playing tag, one would run and the other would chase, then back the other way. Of course they, with mom went into the forest after about 2 minutes.
When we lived in NO Ca we would see deer quite often, but they were the little grey guys and really not very pretty. Every time I see one here I think I am watching Bambi again, they look just like him... Last week we had one eating some of the limbs off our tree in the front yard.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Road Runner eating a large unidentified bird. Unedited 37 second video. Video was shot a few hours ago in Rion Rancho, New Mexico:

YouTube - MVI_4393.MOV

A little bit better quality video, downloadable: MVI_4393.MOV on Vimeo

Rich
I know it is nature, but it always makes me a little sad to see something like that...Last summer one of our daring kitty cats wandered outside from our bedroom sliding doors to the patio while we were having our morning coffee. At 10 years old she had rarely been outside so hunting wasn't her thing, but she is a cat. She caught a darling little black bird with a yellow chest, all we had to say was NO and she dropped him. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt, but her feelings were. She loves to go outside and does bring us presents on occassion, mainly they are little bugs or old socks she finds in the laundry. When she brings those to us, she cries and talks so we will know she has been hunting...

Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
That's a really fascinating video, Pancho. Thanks for posting it.

At the Monday meeting of my wife's knitting group, a woman there described
seeing the same hunting action where the road runner got a sparrow.

No wonder they look so arrogant strutting around; they really are a top predator.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
That's a really fascinating video, Pancho. Thanks for posting it.

At the Monday meeting of my wife's knitting group, a woman there described
seeing the same hunting action where the road runner got a sparrow.

No wonder they look so arrogant strutting around; they really are a top predator.
I read that Roadrunners go after and eat rattlesnakes.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:04 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know it is nature, but it always makes me a little sad to see something like that...Last summer one of our daring kitty cats wandered outside from our bedroom sliding doors to the patio while we were having our morning coffee. At 10 years old she had rarely been outside so hunting wasn't her thing, but she is a cat. She caught a darling little black bird with a yellow chest, all we had to say was NO and she dropped him. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt, but her feelings were. She loves to go outside and does bring us presents on occassion, mainly they are little bugs or old socks she finds in the laundry. When she brings those to us, she cries and talks so we will know she has been hunting...
Ever since moving to the city border our cats have been out more, they used to cry over socks too but now they go after lizards and birds. They are wary of the roadrunners which sometimes pass out back though. Now I know why.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I read that Roadrunners go after and eat rattlesnakes.
For several days in a row, I saw what may have been the same road runner
chop-choping through our yard with a dead lizard in its beak. A month or so ago
we saw a small group of 3 road runners crossing the street and at least 2 had
brunch with them...

BTW, we never let our cat out. She spends half her day sitting behind the window screen chattering
and clicking her teeth at the dozens of birds at the feeder we placed where she could easily watch.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
We had a 4-5 foot bull snake in the driveway yesterday. We encourage them to go out and get those mice and pack rats.

We've seen road runners catch lizards quite a bit.

This guy was sitting on the wall last month. Usually we see them squished on the road.

Last edited by jiminnm; 04-05-2017 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 PM

47 posts, read 135,532 times
How about a Red Fox..........up near Taos
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife Sightings, actual animals, not athletes or vehicles.-fox.jpg  

Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
Great catch Dan.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Red Fox

Good shot. Looks like it was surprised.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque