Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:02 PM

23 posts, read 59,286 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Mike, I did see that about Extended Stay and bankruptcy. I don't know if it's a reorganization they are doing or what exact status us. As far as the dog, no, I can't board him. We are moving a thousand miles away to be in NM. With him being our "best bud", I couldn't possibly leave him, but I understand your point. I will start looking at the rentals you supplied. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 PM

923 posts, read 2,418,880 times
Rio Rancho was originally part of the Alameda Land Grant, much of which was sold off to AMREP Southwest in the early 60's. AMREP turned a huge portion of the land into a housing development called the Rio Rancho Estates which later became the city of Rio Rancho. Those AMREP homes built on 55 acres of land are now in the "older" areas of Rio Rancho. Many of the 75,000 houses that AMREP built in the 60s and 70s did have structural problems. They were cookie cutter homes that went up very quickly, and were thus poorly built. I vaguely remember a huge class action lawsuit against AMREP years ago. You'll be fine in the newer developments, but you'll pay more (not $100K).

The problems with flooding that I'm aware of had to do with busted pipes in the AMPREP homes due to the cheap polybutylene pipes that were put in the homes when they were being built.

And about the winds -- they do bite! They are pretty bad, especially out near the Santa Ana Star Center where City Hall is located. The winds out there usually blow at 20mph where they don't blow at all in town. During the windy season on "windy days", you'll get 50 - 60mph gusts. It's not unusual for gusts to get up to 40 -50mph during the spring windy season out here. I dread it each year. I have a friend that lives near there and she said it's windy every day all year, but the winds are much worse in the spring. If you are more in the city, it's not as bad.

We live on the west side near the border of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. We've lost 2 trees in the last 2 years due to winds pulling them out at the roots. The trees were 8 and 9 years old that we planted first thing after moving in.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
Rio Rancho was originally part of the Alameda Land Grant, much of which was sold off to AMREP Southwest in the early 60's. AMREP turned a huge portion of the land into a housing development called the Rio Rancho Estates which later became the city of Rio Rancho. Those AMREP homes built on 55 acres of land are now in the "older" areas of Rio Rancho. Many of the 75,000 houses that AMREP built in the 60s and 70s did have structural problems. They were cookie cutter homes that went up very quickly, and were thus poorly built. I vaguely remember a huge class action lawsuit against AMREP years ago. You'll be fine in the newer developments, but you'll pay more (not $100K).

The problems with flooding that I'm aware of had to do with busted pipes in the AMPREP homes due to the cheap polybutylene pipes that were put in the homes when they were being built.

And about the winds -- they do bite! They are pretty bad, especially out near the Santa Ana Star Center where City Hall is located. The winds out there usually blow at 20mph where they don't blow at all in town. During the windy season on "windy days", you'll get 50 - 60mph gusts. It's not unusual for gusts to get up to 40 -50mph during the spring windy season out here. I dread it each year. I have a friend that lives near there and she said it's windy every day all year, but the winds are much worse in the spring. If you are more in the city, it's not as bad.

We live on the west side near the border of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. We've lost 2 trees in the last 2 years due to winds pulling them out at the roots. The trees were 8 and 9 years old that we planted first thing after moving in.

You also forgot to mention... That Rio Rancho was founded as a witness protection city..thats how the name "Rio Rancho Estates" came to be. That pretty much sparked growth and development to RR. Then came the cookie cutters.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM

923 posts, read 2,418,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
You also forgot to mention... That Rio Rancho was founded as a witness protection city..thats how the name "Rio Rancho Estates" came to be. That pretty much sparked growth and development to RR. Then came the cookie cutters.
The movie "Did You Hear About the Morgans" is filming around here now. It's about a couple who witness a murder, and are placed in a witness protection program, and get relocated to a small "Wyoming" town. Only much of the movie was filmed in NM.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
The movie "Did You Hear About the Morgans" is filming around here now. It's about a couple who witness a murder, and are placed in a witness protection program, and get relocated to a small "Wyoming" town. Only much of the movie was filmed in NM.
Funny how you mentioned that.. This Rio Rancho witness protection also came out in a movie several years ago.. I cant remember the name. But people who leave the mob are relocated to Rio Rancho.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 33,675 times
In Rio Rancho- We live in the Cabezon Subdivision (1 mile west of Intel) and like it. I would look there, and Loma Colorado subdivision (new builds) and over by the Chamisa Hills Golf Course. You may want to look in Corrales too. Although Corrales could be a pricey, in this market you never know what you'll find. Too bad you don't need a gorgeous 4 bdrm, 3000 sq.ft. home. We'll be listing ours soon (we have a realtor) for much less than purchased price 2.5 years ago, do to finding a job in another state. (currently unemployed)

We've been here 5.5 years and it's been the best climate I've ever lived in! Lived in KS (tornado alley), lived in southern GA, lived in NE, lived in IA, lived in WI. I've had heat, humidity, hail, tornadoes, cold temps., snow storms. We get maybe a few small snows in the winter that melt within a day or so. Not many people have snow shovels. It's sunny most of the time here. April & May are typically the windy months and July & August are typically the monsoon season. Monsoon, as in, we get rain in the evening. Some T-storms, not many. It's breezey/windy here the rest of the seasons too though once in awhile, but it doesn't bother me. Mornings are typically calm/without wind. If you lived in a well developed area you won't have as much dust as in area still being developed with wide open dirt plots.

No worries about food going stale, after putting out potato chips for 2-3 hrs., it's dry here. Not much in the way of bugs in Rio Rancho. A few flies, a couple ants or a cricket. I've only seen a scorpion twice (size of a quarter) and it was harmless. I've only seen a centipede once in 5 yrs. I don't go hiking much, but certainly seems like a lot of nice trails here. My kids are just starting to get old enough to go.

The schools are NOT in spanish. Although they may offer classes to help spanish speaking children learn english. Rio Rancho school system overall is better than Alb. and you can compare stats. I know you said you're not concerned about schools, but it helps resale down the road to be in a good district.

Other Pros: Santa Fe is within 1 hr., Durango/Mesa Verde/Pagosa Hot Springs, CO are 3-4 hrs. North. Skiing & Camping in NM & CO. Also Carlsbad Caverns, NM and many more state sites/parks. 6.5 hrs. to Denver, 7.5 hrs. Phoenix. Of course Balloon Fiesta in Oct. (a must see). More new businesses keep opening. Recently CVS & Jack in the Box. Flights in & out are reasonable.
Cons: Rush hour traffic on Paseo del Norte. Overeating at El Pinto. LOL! I've done that a couple times!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 19,736 times
Rio Rancho is huge! so I would advice to live near the border with Albuquerque. (not so far from it) A friend of mine moved to RR but she felt so isolated because she moved soooo far from everything!
The area near Unser and Southern or Unser and Irving is just 30 minutes from downtown Albuquerque.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,607 times
My husband was in business assignment for Intel when we first see Rio Rancho and NM. ,that was year 2003. My kids (2 yr.old son & 1 yr. old daughter at that year) and I went with him. We liked the weather & geographical landscape so,my husband immediately find a way to be transferred from AZ to Rio Rancho for Intel. We decided to buy a house in Rio Rancho West of Unser & Southern Blvd. I love where we live right now. It's only 2 miles from the shopping center but I still feel like we are isolated. There is a dog park, community outdoor pool & multi-purpose park near to us. We would always take our dog to run unleash west of Southern at the desert mesa. Our place is only about 4 miles from the border of Albuquerque.

Check out this website to learn more about Rio Rancho: http://rioranchochat.com/

Last edited by greenmeadow; 07-31-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque