Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Ruth Chris is a joke. The steaks are good but everything is priced a la carte and the steaks are not good enough for the ridiculously high prices.
Yeah, if I'm going to get stuck with a $200 tab for my wife and I, I sure as hell
want something a lot more sophisticated than a steak and baked potato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,118 times
For a chain restaurant, I like Texas Roadhouse. They're here in ABQ. Outback used to be a favorite, but they have become a serious disappointment as of late. Particularly due to the shoddy service.

Ruth's Chris serves only PRIME grade beef. That's why it's expensive. However, there are no Ruth's Chris in New Mexico.

I have eaten at Ruth's Chris out of state, and in Santa Fe, I ate at the Bull Ring. The Bull Ring is exactly the same as Ruth's Chris. Same Prime grade beef. Same menu items for the most part. Same style of cooking. Same hot plates. Same flavor. If you want the best quality meat for your buck, this is the place to go to. You probably won't be extremely impressed with flavor. Also, I have never had a steak delivered to me cooked to my liking at either of these places. It may be medium when it leaves the grill, but being put onto that sizzling plate of butter, the steak arrives closer to medium well. The desserts are just OK. But if you want to go upscale from the chain steakhouses we have in ABQ, go to the Bull Ring in Santa Fe.

If I had to rank my favorite steakhouses of all time, it would look something like this;

Tied for first - Morton's (Texas, Arizona, and Colorado locations are the closest to ABQ) and The Hitching Post (California)
Second - Clearman's North Woods Inn (California)
Third - Texas Roadhouse
Forth - The Bull Ring/Ruth's Chris

I have eaten at many others, but these few are truly the better ones in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,204 times
"You probably won't be extremely impressed with flavor. Also, I have never had a steak delivered to me cooked to my liking at either of these places."

I could never recommend a place where the flavor was not impressive or the steak cooked differently from how I order it. Also, I would never order a prime cut of beef at anything but medium rare. But that's me.
Vernon's serves prime and so does Rancher's Club.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
County Line
When we first moved here, we'd go to County Line once a month or so. Very soon though, the quality of the food each time was a little worst than the last time. After awhile, we stopped going and haven't been in 4-5 years.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
When we first moved here, we'd go to County Line once a month or so. Very soon though, the quality of the food each time was a little worst than the last time. After awhile, we stopped going and haven't been in 4-5 years.
Hummmm. We have not been recently, over a year ago?

We usually go during the week rather than weekends. And usually always take visitors. I can remember some people having some complaints, I also remember issues being corrected... I have come to accept that there are times when almost all restaurants at times have some bad service.

Rich

Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
For a chain restaurant, I like Texas Roadhouse. They're here in ABQ. Outback used to be a favorite, but they have become a serious disappointment as of late. Particularly due to the shoddy service.

Ruth's Chris serves only PRIME grade beef. That's why it's expensive. However, there are no Ruth's Chris in New Mexico.

I have eaten at Ruth's Chris out of state, and in Santa Fe, I ate at the Bull Ring. The Bull Ring is exactly the same as Ruth's Chris. Same Prime grade beef. Same menu items for the most part. Same style of cooking. Same hot plates. Same flavor. If you want the best quality meat for your buck, this is the place to go to. You probably won't be extremely impressed with flavor. Also, I have never had a steak delivered to me cooked to my liking at either of these places. It may be medium when it leaves the grill, but being put onto that sizzling plate of butter, the steak arrives closer to medium well. The desserts are just OK. But if you want to go upscale from the chain steakhouses we have in ABQ, go to the Bull Ring in Santa Fe.

If I had to rank my favorite steakhouses of all time, it would look something like this;

Tied for first - Morton's (Texas, Arizona, and Colorado locations are the closest to ABQ) and The Hitching Post (California)
Second - Clearman's North Woods Inn (California)
Third - Texas Roadhouse
Forth - The Bull Ring/Ruth's Chris

I have eaten at many others, but these few are truly the better ones in my opinion.
OMG, Northwoods Inn, haven't thought about them is years; yes, great place. Another in California was the Thistle Inn (think that was it) in Glendale. Normally prime cuts do not have as much flavor as the lesser cuts, they are just very tender.

Nita

Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, Northwoods Inn, haven't thought about them is years; yes, great place. Another in California was the Thistle Inn (think that was it) in Glendale. Normally prime cuts do not have as much flavor as the lesser cuts, they are just very tender.

Nita
Very tender indeed. But enough of the right kind of seasoning or marinade and any steak can taste better.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,268 times
Here in ABQ I've really enjoyed Paul's Monterey for the good steaks and prime rib and the great retro feel. Some wait staff have been there for decades.

County Line is definitely unpredictable, decent at times, but really "off" at others. Nice atmosphere, but not much of a destination any more.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
Maybe the Buford in Moriarty?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
PPPFBBT.
Ya know, Rybert.... we were on a tight schedule for my birthday dinner, due to Greg working so far from home. We went to the the Buford and were seated and handed menus. I asked if they were the lunch menus because there were NO steaks. When they reopened a few weeks ago, it was with a new menu. They serve more or less sports bar type food- no real *meat* at all. We left and went to Abq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque