U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,525,658 times

Advertisements

I think mostly everyone sometimes can feel unsafe when they move, When I got my house in Vegas.. which is in a nice area, there were some parts of town that I hated to go threw.. but every city has crime and its share of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:21 AM

2,575 posts, read 5,227,162 times
Miami sounds like a much worse place to be.

IMO, it is. I've lived in a lot of large cities in my life, even worked and lived in bad parts of town, and Miami is the ONLY city where I refused to wander off the beaten track into specific areas - even in daylight....with other people in the car, no less.

Here, the only way I can tell if I'm in what's supposed to be a gang area is by the tats or the pants, LOL.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM

31 posts, read 36,698 times
Default Relax

Todd,

First off I use to live in ABQ 2001-2006 and made the unfortunate mistake of moving to hometown of San Antonio, Texas.

I use to live in the same area as you. UNM north area between Constitution and Lomas just West of Carlisle. First have you heard of the "War Zone" (East of San Mateo between Central and Gibson) Don't need to be in this area after dark, if you are then you have a drug problem.

And that is really it. We are talking about a three by eight to tem block of crime area. Look ABQ is very laid back town and if you like the outdoors and everything it has to offer the city will be good to you. have fun and as the song goes "Don't worry be happy!"

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 AM

17 posts, read 49,804 times
I am moving to albuquerque this fall. I did some research about crime in albuquerque compared to other cities. There is a website, www.crimereports.com which lists all reported crimes in neighborhoods by zipcodes. theft, petty theft, assault, homicide. This website has it all.

I have lived in cleveland, Ohio my whole life. I live in the actual city. My zipcode is 44102. When I punched in my zipcode versus the one that I am moving too, 87109, there were far move violent crimes commited here in cleveland. I am a single 34 year old woman who has never had a crime commited against me in my hometown.

The bottom line is that every city has crime. Punch in any zipcode in any major city, and you are going to see a list of crimes varrying from theft to murder.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

3,058 posts, read 8,203,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin819 View Post
The bottom line is that every city has crime. Punch in any zipcode in any major city, and you are going to see a list of crimes varrying from theft to murder.
Pumpkin - You hit the nail right on the head. Folks that get all riled up about "crime stats" in big cities need to read and understand that statement.

Quote:
versus the one that I am moving too, 87109, there were far move violent crimes commited here in cleveland.
I owned a home in 87109 from 04 until mid-07 and we never had anything close to an issue. With two young children and a wife, I care a lot about safety / crime, and never observed anything. There are a couple of specific areas in the 87109 zip that you'd want to steer clear of ideally for living, but the overwhelming majority of the zip is very, very nice.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:01 PM

72 posts, read 122,216 times
Quote:
I am moving to albuquerque this fall. I did some research about crime in albuquerque compared to other cities. There is a website, www.crimereports.com which lists all reported crimes in neighborhoods by zipcodes. theft, petty theft, assault, homicide. This website has it all.

I have lived in cleveland, Ohio my whole life. I live in the actual city. My zipcode is 44102. When I punched in my zipcode versus the one that I am moving too, 87109, there were far move violent crimes commited here in cleveland. I am a single 34 year old woman who has never had a crime commited against me in my hometown.

87109 is a very nice area. I grew up there, not a whole lot of crime. Sure, there are some "bad" areas of town, but as with any large city, crime can tend to be erratic.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 12,402 times
There's a reason COPS filmed 40+ episodes here! (and the city won't let them come back)

Old 08-06-2009, 12:19 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,478,620 times
Many American cities have been featured on COPS.

Last edited by rybert; 08-06-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM

3,058 posts, read 8,203,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQT View Post
There's a reason COPS filmed 40+ episodes here! (and the city won't let them come back)
There was an article in the Albuquerque Journal in 2006 about all of the frequent COPS episodes that were filmed in Albuquerque. Mayor Martin Chavez (and many others) hated how often COPS filmed in ABQ, as it gave a perception nationally of Albuquerque being terribly more crime-laden than other bigger / medium sized cities (which it certainly is not...its got crime spots for sure, just like Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Tulsa, Omaha, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Orlando, etc., etc., etc.) and overall gave off a highly unfair negative stigma. People essentially thought, "Hey, all I know about Albuquerque is that I see them on COPS every other episode - what a bad place that must be."

However, the producers of the show stated firmly in the article that there really was only one reason why they filmed in ABQ so frequently: they really liked the weather / climate. That was it! They stated vehemently it had nothing else to do with anything, that they could've found more than enough "crime shots" in any other city they ever went to as well. They actually came to ABQ so much because...well...they themselves really liked ABQ!

To thoughtful, logical people, I don't think it mattered much if COPS was filmed in ABQ or not - most will realize that in any city of size (eg: a metro area over 500,000), you would be able to film horrific-COPS-esque scenes. However, due to people not thinking / realizing that, it gave off a highly unfair stigma to ABQ, and thus overall was probably not a good thing to have them filming there so often.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 AM

138 posts, read 199,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I've been in ABQ for about a week now, and I've never felt so unsafe.

I'll admit that some of the feeling comes for the disorientation of being in a new place, but some of the feeling is quite real: everywhere I go, I hear stories of people whose cars have been broken into or vandalized. The drug addicts that aggressively beg for money on the streets (particularly around the university) can be quite threatening. At one place in Nob Hill where my wife and I considered renting, the landlord addressed our concerns about the flimsy windows that could be easily pushed out of the frame by a thief by saying "we haven't had any robberies here... yet."

Most of my coworkers, and the few people I knew here prior to my move, all live in gated communities, or in places with bars on the windows. That feels like living in prison to me. I don't want to live with that kind of isolation.

My biggest mistake yet was taking a wrong turn off Central past San Mateo and ending up in what I understand is called "The War Zone". We passed several police cars clustered around a person (or a corpse) lying in the street. The glares we received from many people in that area made it quite clear that we didn't belong there and weren't welcome.

Both my wife and I work within a mile or two of the University, so we've chosen to live as close to our jobs as possible. This has left us with a very small area where we feel even relatively safe: basically, Central to Lomas, University to Carlisle.

I'd like to expand my comfort zone in the city, but I don't know what areas are safe and which are dangerous.

Can anybody here give me an idea of what parts of the city to absolutely avoid?

I consider myself very street-smart when it comes to big cities: I've lived in Manhattan and Chicago and never had a problem or felt the level of fear I live with daily in ABQ. It's hard for me to understand why I feel so different here, and have the sense that a city boy like me just doesn't fit in.

Any advice from local ABQ folks would be appreciated. I know many of you love it here, and I'm hopeful that you can help me find a way to feel safe and fall in love with the city live you have.

Todd
Todd:
Just left you a long message and my internet crapped out me Anyway, here it is again and sorry if it ends up being duplicated 'caues I hit submit twice:

I'm new here too so I can't offer a LOT of help but can empathize. I can't even IMAGINE how I would react to seeing something like a dead person/corpse. I spent some time working in Manhattan and have never felt safer anywhere else. Anyway, I do know of one apt complex to stay away from - Entrada Pointe in Rio Rancho. Crime ridden, gangs,car break ins, nightly visits from police due to domestic violence, drug dealings, and muggings. I now live at Riverwalk in the Corrales area. So far (knock on wood), it has been peaceful, quiet, and I have yet to see any police around here. Corrales area is in the 87114 zip which in another thread I saw someone referred to as a safe area. And I can understand your frustration in having to drive all over the dang city to try and find a safe place to live. I've had to do that every time I moved and it can be "maddening". Anyway, sorry I can't be of much help besides recommended one place and staying far away from the other. And you know, I still haven't figured out what's with all the crime here. I found out that's the reason my insurance rates went UP from living in Kansas City which is notorious for crime. I think it may have something to do with us being on the Mexico border and importing of drugs. Just my guess. I'm hardly an authority on the best places being as I've only lived here for a little over a year.

Best of luck to you and thanks for the warning about the "War Zone", I had no idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque