Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 AM

720 posts, read 705,543 times

Advertisements

Can't imagine living in a place where I didn't feel safe, hope everything works out for you. Where we live 95% of the robberies and break-ins have been shot by the homeowners, our crime rate is very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM

81 posts, read 181,441 times
Todd

I live in what was once known as the war zone (Girard / San Mateo) and feel very confortable there. Yes, like every other city in America, there is a criminal element to deal with. Statistically, Albuquerque ranks about par when compared to other metropolitan districts in the Country.

However when you get to know people, and they get to know you, we become part of the family. People will actually begin to look out for your interests.
Albuquerque is actually a moderate sized city with asperations of becomming a large city, but having a small town mentality.

Good luck and get out and get to know us better

Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 PM

125 posts, read 453,467 times
My advice is to move out of New Mexico. There's a reason why you feel unsafe: New Mexico and Albuquerque are unsafe. Moving to a "nice" neighborhood will help, but it's not like living in nice neighborhood in another part of the U.S. where you are totally insulated from problems. In Albq, crime is pervasive throughout the city.

I've posted this type of advice before. A few other people took issue with it. But, if Albuquerque is such a normal place, then I wouldn't think there were be so many threads on whether it is safe or not.

Do yourselves a favor. You'll be much happier for it. If you stay in Albuquerque ( or NM for that matter), you will be constantly trying to force yourselves to enjoy a situation that cannot be made enjoyable.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
In short - I don't think this would happen in Albuquerque. Technically it could, but that sort of menace and hit man element, I'm not so sure. Miami sounds like a much worse place to be.
You didn't grow up in the spanish part of Albuquerque.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I think the feeling of "crime" is amplified to newcomers because of all the unusually high use of burglar bars around town. Here, the use of the bars is often cultural
you've got to be kidding

Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I walk around in a chain-mail suit. It hurts to stand in the sun but gangs can't cut me with their knives.

ABQConvict

As someone who grew up with gang violence, I take this flippancy as an insult. You're being sarcastic and making fun of something that has hurt and some cases resulted in the death of friends.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 PM

50 posts, read 148,708 times
We just tranferred here to Kirtland AFB 6 weeks ago. We came from Andrews AFB, Md 15 minutes outside DC where we had been stuck for 19 years. I feel 1000 times more safe here in Abq than I ever did back at Andrews. I don't feel nervous about being out after dark, the people here are so much nicer in general, and I am still amazed how they will hold doors open for each other. Back in Md, it was typical for the door to slam shut in your face.

We absolutely love it here, and when I retire in a few years, there is no way we are moving back east. We love the weather, the overall attitude, the lack of traffic (even in rush hour), the lower cost of living, and all the awesome food places here.

We are totally enchanted with this place

Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 PM

159 posts, read 511,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
As someone who grew up with gang violence, I take this flippancy as an insult. You're being sarcastic and making fun of something that has hurt and some cases resulted in the death of friends.

Why are you taking that so seriosuly? it was just a joke about how people take crime in ABQ way too serious. I also grew up in the South Valley, and had one friend get seriously hurt from gang violence. I didn't find his post offensive at all.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
It is obvious from your string of posts that you are dominated by a sense of fear thus I am not surprised that you are also easily insulted.

I live and work in SE Albuquerque which is considered to contain some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the entire state of New Mexico.

Thus I am insulted that you don't take my sarcasm seriously.

ABQConvict

Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM

75 posts, read 199,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebrown67 View Post
We just tranferred here to Kirtland AFB 6 weeks ago. We came from Andrews AFB, Md 15 minutes outside DC where we had been stuck for 19 years. I feel 1000 times more safe here in Abq than I ever did back at Andrews. I don't feel nervous about being out after dark, the people here are so much nicer in general, and I am still amazed how they will hold doors open for each other. Back in Md, it was typical for the door to slam shut in your face.

We absolutely love it here, and when I retire in a few years, there is no way we are moving back east. We love the weather, the overall attitude, the lack of traffic (even in rush hour), the lower cost of living, and all the awesome food places here.

We are totally enchanted with this place
Just arrived here in KAFB about 3 weeks ago and like you, we absolutely LOVE IT!

And yes, the food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque