Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times

Advertisements

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being cautious and aware of what is around you, no matter where you are. Particularly late at night in the funkier parts of urban areas. I'm a professional musician, so I'm often out late at night around attitude-adjusted people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I've been in ABQ for about a week now, and I've never felt so unsafe.

I'll admit that some of the feeling comes for the disorientation of being in a new place, but some of the feeling is quite real: everywhere I go, I hear stories of people whose cars have been broken into or vandalized. The drug addicts that aggressively beg for money on the streets (particularly around the university) can be quite threatening. At one place in Nob Hill where my wife and I considered renting, the landlord addressed our concerns about the flimsy windows that could be easily pushed out of the frame by a thief by saying "we haven't had any robberies here... yet."

Most of my coworkers, and the few people I knew here prior to my move, all live in gated communities, or in places with bars on the windows. That feels like living in prison to me. I don't want to live with that kind of isolation.

My biggest mistake yet was taking a wrong turn off Central past San Mateo and ending up in what I understand is called "The War Zone". We passed several police cars clustered around a person (or a corpse) lying in the street. The glares we received from many people in that area made it quite clear that we didn't belong there and weren't welcome.

Both my wife and I work within a mile or two of the University, so we've chosen to live as close to our jobs as possible. This has left us with a very small area where we feel even relatively safe: basically, Central to Lomas, University to Carlisle.

I'd like to expand my comfort zone in the city, but I don't know what areas are safe and which are dangerous.

Can anybody here give me an idea of what parts of the city to absolutely avoid?

I consider myself very street-smart when it comes to big cities: I've lived in Manhattan and Chicago and never had a problem or felt the level of fear I live with daily in ABQ. It's hard for me to understand why I feel so different here, and have the sense that a city boy like me just doesn't fit in.

Any advice from local ABQ folks would be appreciated. I know many of you love it here, and I'm hopeful that you can help me find a way to feel safe and fall in love with the city live you have.

Todd
In the chart for this link Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Albuquerque crime is slightly higher than the national average.

If you feel unsafe, there are things you can do, personal security wise, to enhance your confidence of your surroundings. One of which is being vigilant, be aware of where you are, and of what you're doing, and the time of day in which you're active. Take some extra security measures for yourselves. Drive with your windows in the up position, doors locked. Try to keep your domicile secured all the time, even when you're home.

There are probably some websites which can tell you more about personal security for you and your family. Here is a link from the department of state dealing with personal security.
Personal Security--At Home, On the Street, While Traveling

Good luck, and please try to enjoy yourselves while you're here in New Mexico.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:04 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,449 times
Here's an answer...The area near UNM is a little sketchy and it is near all sorts of bad neighborhoods. Here is the upside: You could live in the NE heights and commute. I lived off Copper and Tramway during my years at UNM. The commute was like 15 minutes. That's the beauty of ABQ. You can live across the city and it is really not that bad to drive.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
Here's an answer...
What was the question again?

ABQConvict

Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey
The area near UNM ... is near all sorts of bad neighborhoods.
The one just across the river is pretty bad.
Quote:
I lived off Copper and Tramway during my years at UNM. The commute was like 15 minutes.
So's my commute.

I live near Paseo and Tramway and it's like 15 minutes.
It usually takes about 30-40 minutes, but that's like 15 minutes, but longer.

Going home yesterday - driving along Lomas, some nutball came blasting by me
whilst weaving in and out of traffice. He jutted in front of my ( missing by what
I estimate to be about 1/4" ) just past San Mateo.

He weaved in-and-out continuously as long as I had him in my sights.

I was behind him at EVERY light till he blasted a left at Juan Tabo.

With a good driver, his vehicle probably gets like 11 mpg.

Last edited by mortimer; 09-25-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM

You're like funny. You're not REALLY funny, but you're like funny.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
... not REALLY funny, but you're like funny.
Shouldn't you say En garde! before a post like that?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM

You started it! I just wanted to be friends! But NOOOOO...you have to make fun of my Valley Girl dialect.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
You started it!
... Oh yeah. ...

Old 09-25-2009, 02:49 PM

yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque