Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 PM

361 posts, read 1,089,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWG View Post
I see it alot where the truth is taken by people as inflamatory, but truth is truth. I can't be bent . It cant be altered. It's reality at its' simpilist form
Yours is not the only "TRUTH" - so why are you trying so hard to alter what other people see as the TRUTH.

I lived in ABQ many, many years and I go back at least once a year - and trust me my perspective of the truth about crime in ABQ is much different than yours.

The two posts that you're claiming are true make ABQ seem like a post-Apocolyptic scene from a very dramatic movie of the week - almost unreal. Even a bad Hollywood film isn't that dramatic.

Last edited by casden; 07-15-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:17 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,730,142 times
Lets look at each point in turn before we dismiss his/her post as untruths.

Police officers say they sometimes arest people more than once on the same day.
Now that is true, ask any cop on the street and you will hear the despair in their voice when they tell you it happens, not often but it does.

The judicial system and the awful ACLU will not let the criminals and the gang members get what they deserve. I don't think it is the fault of the justice system more than that there are too many loopholes. in the justice system.

If there was an actual "three strikes your out" policy that was inforced, more than half the crime would dissapear in a heart beat. Hmmm. Not sure about half but I'm sure we would see a decrease in crime.

Part of the problem is quite a few of the politicians that make the laws in NM end up in prison themselves.
Now this is definitely true.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,206,030 times
I didn't say the posts didn't contain truth.

But truth out of context can be inflammatory. Like describing a groom's exploits with hookers at his wedding.

ABQConvict

Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
CWG

82 posts, read 259,881 times
I've spent the last 25 yrs working as a public servant on the streets of Albuquerque. I am white and married to a lovely hispanic women. I love the state of New Mexico and have lived here since 1959. Am I dissillusioned , yes. I've seen how good and bad it can be here. The trends that are happening here are happening throughout the country and I see no solutions from the Rebublican or Democratic side. I feel like we are loosing our patriotism and our notion that our lives should be based on quality and integrity. The truth isn't my truth or anyone elses truth. It doesnt' know political correctness or bias or bigotry. We do need to step up and acknowledge whats happening before we can correct it. I hope this young lady moves here and is happy, but she, along with everyone else should keep her eyes open. Sorry, I am very often out of context.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,380,216 times
I agree with all of the good things about ABQ (outdoors, uniqueness, weather). But I do think there is an element of danger in certain parts that is greater than most cities. And it does have a high crime rate. The two times I have been in downtown ABQ I have had people talk trash to me literally out of nowhere just minding my own business walking down the street. And sitting at a nice upscale bar I saw a guy getting the crap kicked out of him on a sidewalk by some other guy. And I have lived in some tough areas. I spent my youth living and playing summer league basketball games in North Philadephia (a VERY tough area). I've lived in downtown San Francisco for many years and now in downtown San Diego. And ABQ has an edge of danger to it. But I really only felt this downtown ABQ. Other parts I didn't feel it. But I do "sense" more danger in downtown ABQ when I am there, vs. downtown San Diego or San Francisco.

That being said about the danger element, I think ABQ is a diamond and the rough and a really cool unique place.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
The two times I have been in downtown ABQ I have had people talk trash to me literally out of nowhere just minding my own business walking down the street.
Have had this done to me in San Francisco, Dallas and Chamberburg, PA.

I don't know if they are panhandlers, muggers looking for an opertunity, or just crazy. None of them seemed drunk. Never had it happen to me in Albuquerque and don't recall it an issue when I lived in Miami and Ft Lauderdale. Go figure, are there even odds for these events shown in crime data?

Rich

Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,220 times
I have been a distant observer of ABQ for years and this crime issue never seems to subside.

Maybe the folks on the ground don't see it for what it is or maybe the folks from afar see it for more than it is. I imagine it's somewhere in between...but the fact of the matter is...the issue comes up time and time again more than it does for other cities this size.

In my opinion I think there is enough evidence both crime-wise and socio-economic-wise that allows one to conclude that there IS indeed a problem that money and/or political willpower hasn't been applied to solve in a "zero tolerance" manner.

Albuquerque is indeed a diamond in the rough for very many reasons. The city just needs good people to prevail and more jobs & money to sustain them so that the bad element can be contained. It will never be fully cleaned up, but it could be contained so that the bad guys know if they get caught there will be consequences.

These days it seems like the bad guys know they can get away with a lot in many cities before it gets the attention of the tight municipal funds. Of course there would be more Federal funds available to assist if we weren't spending so much making life better in other countries. Given the presumed importance of NM to the DOD & DOE Programs you'd think there would be a high priority in helping the state keep its' communities safe.

Some of the most real "terror threat" to our society is in the city trenches and it works on the fabric of our communities every day. We're funding the growth of it as our casual drug use channels dollars back into the network of bad guys here and South, on down into South America.

Whoops, this thread was about moving to ABQ. I say go for it...and then run for office and help change the system so that the liviability of ABQ keeps getting better and better! I'll be heading your way in a few years...keep the paved trail system improving as well, I hope to inline skate in that wonderfully dry climate until I'm 80! ;-)

Last edited by dewpoint=moodpoint; 07-20-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Readability

Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM

96 posts, read 384,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I agree with all of the good things about ABQ (outdoors, uniqueness, weather). But I do think there is an element of danger in certain parts that is greater than most cities. And it does have a high crime rate. The two times I have been in downtown ABQ I have had people talk trash to me literally out of nowhere just minding my own business walking down the street. And sitting at a nice upscale bar I saw a guy getting the crap kicked out of him on a sidewalk by some other guy. And I have lived in some tough areas. I spent my youth living and playing summer league basketball games in North Philadephia (a VERY tough area). I've lived in downtown San Francisco for many years and now in downtown San Diego. And ABQ has an edge of danger to it. But I really only felt this downtown ABQ. Other parts I didn't feel it. But I do "sense" more danger in downtown ABQ when I am there, vs. downtown San Diego or San Francisco.

That being said about the danger element, I think ABQ is a diamond and the rough and a really cool unique place.
I have to agree w/ just about everything written here...when I lived in Albq, I too moved from a place wich has a pretty rough reputation (Richmond, VA) but I found Richmond's crime was much different in nature. And yes, the "randomness" of crime in Albq. shocked me the most (once again, I harp back to Hollywood Video murders); I think the gang culture has much to do with it...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 AM

68 posts, read 150,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I would say start in the foothills then if you don't like what you see then look Nob Hill/Downtown area.

Do you watch In Plain Sight? They film a lot of that show in the Nob Hill/Downtown area.
Thanks Berncohomes ! If I had known that "In Plain Sight" was filmed in Albuquerque, I would have been watching from the beginning. I am absorbing everything "Albuquerque" and recently became a subscriber to another local Abq magazine. Now I can watch the show, and enjoy the different areas I hope to live near someday......

Old 07-01-2010, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewpoint=moodpoint View Post
I have been a distant observer of ABQ for years and this crime issue never seems to subside.

Maybe the folks on the ground don't see it for what it is or maybe the folks from afar see it for more than it is. I imagine it's somewhere in between...but the fact of the matter is...the issue comes up time and time again more than it does for other cities this size.

In my opinion I think there is enough evidence both crime-wise and socio-economic-wise that allows one to conclude that there IS indeed a problem that money and/or political willpower hasn't been applied to solve in a "zero tolerance" manner.

Albuquerque is indeed a diamond in the rough for very many reasons. The city just needs good people to prevail and more jobs & money to sustain them so that the bad element can be contained. It will never be fully cleaned up, but it could be contained so that the bad guys know if they get caught there will be consequences.

These days it seems like the bad guys know they can get away with a lot in many cities before it gets the attention of the tight municipal funds. Of course there would be more Federal funds available to assist if we weren't spending so much making life better in other countries. Given the presumed importance of NM to the DOD & DOE Programs you'd think there would be a high priority in helping the state keep its' communities safe.

Some of the most real "terror threat" to our society is in the city trenches and it works on the fabric of our communities every day. We're funding the growth of it as our casual drug use channels dollars back into the network of bad guys here and South, on down into South America.

Whoops, this thread was about moving to ABQ. I say go for it...and then run for office and help change the system so that the liviability of ABQ keeps getting better and better! I'll be heading your way in a few years...keep the paved trail system improving as well, I hope to inline skate in that wonderfully dry climate until I'm 80! ;-)
I am a single, senior woman who has raised a family in MI, but want to relocate to NM. Visited NM a few times and fell in love with the area, but did not want to move so far away. Time has marched on and now am seriously doing some research. The crime factor scares me because I will be alone. Any suggestions? Or am I just over reacting?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque