Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,261 times

Advertisements

Maybe a budget will help this conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 PM

361 posts, read 1,092,122 times
The Edo area seems pretty hip and has a few new and nice condo developments, also there are some old victorian homes in that area. There's some hip restaurants in that area.

Edo = East of downtown (I know some posters on this forum will cringe at that name "Edo", but what else should I call it - that's the name it goes by these days).

Also, downtown has some great areas, but even though there are some good restaurants and a "Flying Star" (awesome coffee shop) the nightlife seems to be geared more toward the younger (early 20's) single crowd.

I'm not sure about this one, but I heard that the Barelas neighborhood is becoming sort of a "funky" area with a few galleries. You might to research this one. There's a member of "Duke City Fix" (Duke City Fix - Life, food, events, and community in Albuquerque, NM who writes about the scene in Barelas - her name is Barelas Babe.

Here's a link that gives a brief on each of the neighborhoods I listed above:
http://www.downtownabq.com/cms/index.php/ourneighborhoods/ (broken link)

Last edited by casden; 07-14-2009 at 08:14 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Good advice here. Nob Hill, Ridgecrest if you have the money, eDo (which is historically known as the Huning Highlands), etc. Funky, urban, youthful, family friendly and best of all, about a five-to-ten minute commute to/the location you specified.

ABQConvict

Old 07-18-2009, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,218 times
Downtown & Nob Hill/Ridgecrest. Downtown has an awesome Farmers market on Saturdays and a lot of cute houses with the kinds of earthy, creative people you've described. Also, Downtown: home of the Harwood arts center & Escuela del Sol Montessori and summer art camps for kids.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:25 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,652 times
I would also recommend the Altura Park area, about 6 min NW of your future work location. Similar to Ridgecrest in terms of affluence, and IMO a great combo of charm, and proximity to a "happening" area. Living in a home right on the park would also be great with a toddler [speaking from a parental viewpoint here ]

Old 08-05-2009, 06:37 AM

17 posts, read 34,697 times
Awesome- this is all good stuff. I talked with a realtor and after going in detail about what we were looking for and price... 1100 max for a place she recommended eDo as a must. I think we'll have to carve out some time to visit, but since my job doesn't fork over cash for house hunting we may end up coming a few days early to finalize.

I'll definitely check out the links you all suggested. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque