U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:46 PM

28 posts, read 28,390 times
Default Young active couple relocating to ABQ

We'll be moving to ABQ by the end of the year with our dog and we're looking for a home. We're looking to stay below 190k for a 3br 2ba, with a yard. Reading through some of the posts, it seems that everyone likes the NE area. Is this where we should be looking or are there other options? We're taking everything into consideration....view, trails, nieghbors, safety, resale. Any thoughts on what zip codes we should be looking in? "EnjoyEP" seems to know alot about the city....maybe he will chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:05 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,476,456 times
We love the west side ( 87114 ) and some houses here meet your wants. Will you be commuting to a job? What part of town will you be working in?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,040,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedlock View Post
"EnjoyEP" seems to know alot about the city....maybe he will chime in.
Oh I'm sure he will and when he does you will get some good advice.

I personally think that if you get the chance you should get out here first and have a look around. Spend the weekend, see all quadrants and see if any of the communities appeal to you. Then start your search.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 PM

83 posts, read 125,144 times
Hi! I am also a young active couple with a dog relocating to NM! Feel free to PM me! We'll chat!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post

I personally think that if you get the chance you should get out here first and have a look around. Spend the weekend, see all quadrants and see if any of the communities appeal to you. Then start your search.

We're coming out in September for a week to check it out and do just that!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 AM

Cool RN. What part of town are you looking in? Have you been out to see ABQ with your own eyes?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,246,090 times
$190k may not get you into a 3 bedroom 2 bath in the Heights. Possibly a nice 2 bed /2 bath.

Coldwell Banker Legacy has a pretty good interactive map... I'd post their website, but I'm not sure if I've already violated the TOS.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:47 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,954,926 times
Quote:
"EnjoyEP" seems to know alot about the city....maybe he will chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Well, wow...what kind words folks! I also play Tuesday nights at the Hampton Inn on Springdale Rd. ...make sure to stop by!!

Anyway, seriously, I only lived in ABQ for 4+ years or so (03-07), and there are folks on this forum that have lived in ABQ for 20, 30, 40+ years, so I don't know if I deserve lofty praise of knowledge.

However, I will say that I am extremely passionate about the Duke City and have spent many a year getting to know the city, and am itching and clawing to get back.

Quote:
We'll be moving to ABQ by the end of the year with our dog and we're looking for a home. We're looking to stay below 190k for a 3br 2ba, with a yard. Reading through some of the posts, it seems that everyone likes the NE area. Is this where we should be looking or are there other options? We're taking everything into consideration....view, trails, nieghbors, safety, resale. Any thoughts on what zip codes we should be looking in?
I always whip out a list of Albuquerque recommended zip codes that I would suggest - and then I invariably always forget one or three that I should've included. Of course, it would probably just be helpful if I saved them or indexed them somehow, but I never do.

So, I will do it again and hopefully if I miss any, someone can help fill me in:

NORTHEAST

87109 - Portions...generally more northern and/OR eastern (generally north of Montgomery and/or, east of Louisiana)

87111 -

87112 - Portions...generally more northern and eastern

87122 - (Likely out of your price range)

NORTH VALLEY

87107 - Northern areas most desirable, especially near Rio Grande Blvd.

NORTHWEST

87120 - Northern 1/3 or so of this zip

SOUTEAST

87123 - Predominantly in the "Four Hills" neighborhood, although this may be too affluent / out of your price range

RIO RANCHO (suburb on far North West)

UNM / NOB HILL area

DOWNTOWN

87102 - There are some very nice residential areas (perhaps a bit too pricey though) off of Downtown near the river

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of where you'd like to be looking:

Northeast:

Probably my personal favorite in the zips I mentioned. Older and more established in general than the Northwest, and thus more retail, restaurants, established infrastructure, etc. You will get many decades-old well established residential areas, as well as still some newer areas on the northern and eastern edges.

IN GENERAL, this is a pricier area in the zips I mentioned. However, it all depends on the size / age of home, type of neighborhood, etc. I owned a modest sized (1200 square foot) 35 year old (but remodled) home - 4 bed rooms (fairly small BRs!), in an older neighborhood square in the heart of the NE Heights and I was WELL within your price range. You can find houses like this.

But indeed, compared to what you'd get on the Northwest, you'll be paying more $ per square foot and likely would need to buy a smaller / older home than in the Northwest.

For all of these things though, who knows? The way the real estate market is still currently, steals / deals can always be found.

The Northeast is to me semi-"suburban" in feel, yet fairly urban still. A wide blend of people - long-time New Mexicans (including native ABQeans), cops, retired military, empty nesters, renters, young families with kids, affluent sorts, working professionals, elderly, families with high school aged kids, some working class / blue collar families, etc.

The Northwest tends to feel a bit more "new suburbia" with tons of fairly new (or recent) development - both in terms of retail, as well as residential homes and neighborhoods. If you are looking for "bang for you buck" per square foot in a newer home, this is the place to look. For many, it lacks the "authenticity" or "real Albuquerque vibe" that other areas of the town have - and I don't necessarily disagree (I prefer the NE in a perfect world) - however, I likely would buy here due to all of the younger families that reside here. It has its pluses and minuses - big pluses are the home sizes / ages for their dollar. Minuses involve less established infrastructure (eg: more traffic) and maybe less of an authentic "feel".

Rio Rancho is a popular, rapidly growing suburb on ABQ's northwest side, and if you'd consider ABQ's NW side, you probably should throw Rio Rancho in that mix, too, as RR is in feel largely an extension of ABQ's NW side.

The North Valley is one of the nicest parts of ABQ...by the Rio Grande. Hotter on summer days and cooler on winter nights due to being in the valley. More "green" than most of ABQ due to its proximity by the river. You may not find prices in your range here, as the nice areas of the Valley are some of the pricier areas, but if you can pull off a steal near, say, Osuna Rd. or Rio Grande Blvd. in the Valley, it has its real pluses - one of which is being so central in the city to everything. It has a similar urban/suburban kind of mixed vibe that the Northeast Heights has.

The Nob Hill/UNM/Downtown areas I noted zip-wise are more what you'd associate with a more classically "walking friendly" or "younger" or more "hip" area of the city...definitely quite urban. This is the place you'll find more nightlife, more music, more revelry. Lots of authentic and unique shopping. There are some quite affluent areas in this area as well, typically more liberal-leaning folks. There are some beautiful green, wooded areas in these neighborhoods, too, that seem again somewhat unlike the remainder of the desert city. To me, this was a great place to visit (but preferred living in the NE Heights), but to others on the board they wouldn't live anywhere else if they had the choice.

Probably the areas you'd want to stay clear of as a newcomer coming in would be the Southwest, most of the Southeast (except for pockets that would include areas like the very affluent Four Hills area that would probably be too pricey), and some of the Northwest that is closer to I-40.

----
I hope this helps you. If you have follow up questions, feel free to shoot. Partially it would be akin to where you'll be working, if you want more "city" or more "home with yard", etc.

Good luck!! And CONGRATS on getting to move to ABQ!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,040,454 times
Just an add on to EP's great post.

87123 includes foothills south too, I believe from Lomas down. Some good buys there.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 AM

6,430 posts, read 6,637,837 times
At your price range you will most likely find yourself in westside/Rio Rancho neighborhoods. People like them but they are very cookie-cutter and auto-dependent for the most part. Great views, though.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque