Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,154,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Steve-O, why do you take everything so personally and always blow such a ruckus over it on these forums??

If you read my post in its entirety, which you rarely do, you'd see I wasn't "attacking" Chicago or its winters. Just simply pointing out that up here, where we get infinitely more snow than ABQ, we certainly don't need snow chains.

I do see some stations and sites that cite Chicago's snowfall average annually more in that 38 inch range. I quoted 45 to 50. I don't think it makes much a difference on the intent of the post.

I never claimed Chicago / Milwaukee's winter this past year *was* normal. Again, you are only seeing things or reading things into this what you want, and looking for a fight. But Milwaukee's un-normal of 100 inches is much different than ABQ's 2006 un-normal of 33. But again, my whole point again that you'd have seen was that even in 100 inches of snow, we had no need for snow chains; actually, I didn't even have snow tires on my car.
Well, what are you doing? I was stating facts about average snowfall, not being mean about it. You pretty much laughed at the OP when she asked if she needed snow chains, I laughed when you said we average 45-50+ inches of snow. No harm was meant, I dont see why you see it that way. I like facts, simple as that. And when I see people posting untrue things, especially about the area where I live, then Im quick to correct them. Knowledge is the key...and now you know!

Oh, the DM... I sent it like 2 weeks ago, thanking you for closing a particular thread that was getting out of control. I then proceeded to ask how Milwaukee was treating you. I was just making some small talk. Now, is that really "argumentative" or whatever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,206,030 times
T-shirts on Christmas?

Outside or in the house that you keep at a toasty 72F?

The average high temperature for the 25th of December is 46F with a low of 23F.

With those temps I'd take the garbage out in a T-shirt but I doubt it would be my wardrobe for the day. In fact since I keep my house at about 62F in the winter, I usually wear a wool shirt all day inside my house.

ABQConvict

Old 08-30-2008, 05:41 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,596,932 times
Snow chains? No.
White Christmas? Probably not.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:30 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,984,767 times
I was talking about wearing a t-shirt on Christmas day in Portales, not ABQ sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I was talking about wearing a t-shirt on Christmas day in Portales, not ABQ sorry for the confusion.
That is what I thought upon a closer reading of your post. I was mainly reacting on skippy22's behalf since I think he was confused too.

Quoth skippy22: desert sun, it's nice to know i can still wear my t shirt and jeans for christmas!!

ABQConvict

Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 AM

74 posts, read 199,576 times
skippy is a she =)
and i have worn my t shirt and jeans in the snow in the mountains...so i'm sure i'll do it there too lol

Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy22 View Post
skippy is a she =)
and i have worn my t shirt and jeans in the snow in the mountains...so i'm sure i'll do it there too lol
Sorry about the confusion, skip ;-)

I'm an underdresser myself but it doesn't hurt to have a nice jacket :-) A few years ago my cousins from Scandinavia came to Albuquerque came to vist. I warned them that, while not brutally cold here, they should bring winter clothes. Despite my advice, my cousin-in-law only brought shorts and a windbreaker. We ended up spending the first two days clothes shopping (Which they didn't mind since a pair of jeans in the U.S. cost as much as a plate of eggs and a coffee in Norway :-)

ABQConvict

Old 08-31-2008, 04:31 PM

74 posts, read 199,576 times
wow! really? theres that much of a difference between costs?
see that always surprises me...i guess i wont go to norway anytime soon...lol
yeah here where i live now i dont own any jackets or sweaters but i have this suspicion i will need to buy at LEAST a thermal =)
and start wearing shoes other then flip flops and invest in socks....

haha

Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 PM

Costs are a lot higher in Norway, but so is the pay (back in the 90's I recall that minimum wage in Norway was close to the U.S. average income (or was it median); the mid 20k /year range. The standard of living is similar albeit with less poverty. However, when Norwegians come to the U.S. to spend money they have a spending power similar to that of Americans visiting 3rd world nations.

On the other hand, Norwegians also have to cope with luxury taxes upward of 100% on things that we take for granted. For example, in Norway, automobiles and alcohol are considered luxuries and are double the cost that they would be here. University education and heathcare are considered universal rights and are entirely subsidized. For the most part it balances out except that in the States there is a percentage of the population that 'falls through the cracks' due to lack of opportunity.

By the way, (and getting a little bit closer to the topic) even in Norway where snow is plentiful, you have to pay a fee to enter city centers with snow chains or studded tires.

ABQConvict

Old 09-01-2008, 12:28 PM

801 posts, read 2,205,118 times
Back to Skippy's original post:

Snow Chains? The consensus seems to easily be NO...and I would certainly agree with that.

Snow Shovel? Well...At nearly 6200 feet against the mountains, I do have a snow shovel, and I've used it many times. For one thing, I have a patio on the north side of the house. If I don't get the snow off of it quickly, the ice seems to get harder than the concrete! Also, my sidewalk to the house is about 75 feet long and has a bit of a slope to it. In fact, I actually broke my snow shovel during on New Year's Day 2007.

White Christmas? Probability depends on your definition of a white Christmas. For example, does it have to snow Christmas eve or Christmas day? Does the ground have to be totally white, or will a dusting do? About 10 years ago, I did a study with local weather data and just decided to define white Christmas as one with at least 1 inch of average snow depth on Christmas day. The chance of that is about 1 in 20 near the Rio Grande, but as high as 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 above 6000 feet (depending on whether your location is subject to gap winds from Embudo. Pino or Bear Canyons, and 1 in 4 in Sandia Park. Thus...it's far more likely the Christmas in and near Albuquerque won't be white. Of course, if you really want a white Christmas, in most years, you could just plan to drive up the crest road to Sandia Peak with your family on Christmas day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque