Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1347 View Post
About how frequent to the jets come and go from Kirtland? Since it's an AFB, I'm assuming that unlike a commerical airport, planes are not taking off every few minutes - but possibly I'm mistaken.

Also, regarding the comments above about the not so great adjoining neighborhoods (to Four Hills). I'm guessing that they're talking about some of the problems associated with the Southeast Quadrant in general? So, if you head a little further north to the Northeast Quadrant zip 87111, do the crime concerns fade away - along with most of the aircraft noise from the AFB?
Kirtland AFB and the Albuquerque Sunport (Airport) share the same runways. The military planes do not normally seem as loud as airliners and there are not as many military jets in the traffic as large commercial traffic. I estimate there are at least 10 times more commercial traffic noise than military traffic.

In another thread someone also complained about helicopter noise in the ABQ area.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 03:38 PM

9 posts, read 26,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Kirtland AFB and the Albuquerque Sunport (Airport) share the same runways. The military planes do not normally seem as loud as airliners and there are not as many military jets in the traffic as large commercial traffic. I estimate there are at least 10 times more commercial traffic noise than military traffic.

In another thread someone also complained about helicopter noise in the ABQ area.

Rich
thx. Sounds like if you're not a big fan of living next to an airport, 87123 (Four Hills) isn't a good zipcode to choose during searches on realtor.com. Too bad, a few quick searches turned up some appealling as well as affordable housing.

From a few of the other threads on this forum, my interpretation is that heading further north seems to be the better choice if you want to live on the east side of town. Finding a place east of Tramway seems to be better yet - depending on your budget contraints - with the better neighborhoods well north of Lomas. zip 87111 sounds like one of the preferred locales - again especially if you can find a place east of Tramway. But perhaps, I'm mistaken - based on the few threads I've read. Any comments?

Old 11-14-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
thx. Sounds like if you're not a big fan of living next to an airport
Not at all. My wife and I are Private Pilots, we have owned a few small aircraft in the past, I was an Aircraft Mechanic in a former life, I spent some time in the military. I am sort of aware of the aviation community.

Because of the low air density and lack of moisture, sound travels farther with less attenuation, I live 25 miles from the airport. The airliners normally sound louder than the military jets (there are some exceptions).

Rich

Old 11-14-2009, 04:57 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,497 times
Rich, where do you fly out of? Or do you not own aircraft anymore?

I live in Four Hills and have absolutely no problems with the airport. Flights land and take off in a multitude of directions and do not always come in or out over Four Hills.

As for the military, they mostly fly during the day and not on a frequency to be bothersome. I personally like to see the jets when they fly by, but I don't get to see them often.

I have seen quite a bit of helicopter activity, there were about 3 of the ones you see with machine guns in the doors like in Vietnam war movies which flew by quite low a week or so ago. Then last Sunday we had a couple of convoys? of the big ones fly over, one going southwest and one lot which went to the base.

http://www.berncohomes.com/photos/copters.JPG (broken link)
http://www.berncohomes.com/photos/copter.JPG (broken link)

Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM

87123 also covers Foothills south where you won't have any aircraft flying over head but you will see some to the south and some to the west.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 PM

9 posts, read 26,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
87123 also covers Foothills south where you won't have any aircraft flying over head but you will see some to the south and some to the west.
thx. I assume that you're talking about the area north of 40 (and south of Lomas) in zip 87123 (and east of Tramway) that you won't have aircraft flying directly over your home. From other threads, this seems to be an ok neighborhood - although further north would be better - or am I mistaken?

Old 11-14-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Rich, where do you fly out of? Or do you not own aircraft anymore?
My license and medical are not current. We flew out of HGR (Hagerstown, MD) for about 12 years. Gave it up when we moved out here in 1998.

Rich

Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
thx. I assume that you're talking about the area north of 40 (and south of Lomas) in zip 87123 (and east of Tramway) that you won't have aircraft flying directly over your home. From other threads, this seems to be an ok neighborhood - although further north would be better - or am I mistaken?
Yes that is Foothills South and is considered a great area, there are a few rental apartments on Copper but apart from that it is fine. There is not much through traffic, which to me is always a bonus and there is easy access to a couple of good parks that side of Tramway plus very close access to the trails in the Foothills. It is also very easily located for shopping and freeway access.

Four Hills is considered by many to be one of the better areas of town, if you can get past the occasional plane & helicopter noise that is

The great thing about Four Hills is that there is only one road in and out which makes for no through traffic, Four Hills village detached properties start out at 1800SF in size but most are in fact over 2000SF. If you are a golfer then they have their own golf course and you can find homes which back onto the golf course giving you very easy access.

Four Hills also has its own private security company, IPS which comprises of ex law enforcement and military who can be seen patrolling at all times. Very affordable and are on on scene in minutes, there is not much in the way of crime in Four Hills and this can be attributed in some to their presence.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My license and medical are not current. We flew out of HGR (Hagerstown, MD) for about 12 years. Gave it up when we moved out here in 1998.

Rich
My QB is an avid aviator and goes to lunch weekly with a bunch of pilots and enthusiasts. He even has his own hangar out in Moriarty.

My Uncle was a pilot his whole life, starting off in the RAF and ending up flying commercial 747's. I remember as a child he would take me and my father up in a little private single propeller plane which then was exciting to me, now I am terrified of flying. Guess the flying gene doesn't always pass along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque