Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 02:11 PM

12 posts, read 25,396 times

Advertisements

I've never used a scooter as a primary form of transportation, but am trying to avoid owning a car as I organize my new life in ABQ, and thought a scooter would be fun. I'm looking for a place somewhere between Downtown, Old Town, and Nob Hill - so am thinking that a Rapid Ride + scooter combo. will suffice for getting me where I need to go. Any thoughts?

Also, I keep hearing somewhat scary stories about multiple DUIs and drivers in general, and am a little worried about safety. Should I be concerned, or is it simply a matter of wearing the right protection and driving defensively (and apparently, being really alert in parking lots)?

Looking forward to scooter stories...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 02:13 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
i love scooter i got one.
however, a lil info
per CA DMV a motorcyclist is 16 times more prone to die in an accident than an auto driver. 22% of traffic fatalities involve someone not in a car.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:17 PM

Hey Huckleberry,

I know the stats - used to live (and see it on the freeway) in So. Cal. I'm thinking I'd just ride it on the streets, and for the longer, occasional drive - rent a car if necessary.

How's the maintenance on a scoot if you ride it regularly? What do you have?

Old 08-22-2009, 02:25 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysoultokeep View Post
Hey Huckleberry,

I know the stats - used to live (and see it on the freeway) in So. Cal. I'm thinking I'd just ride it on the streets, and for the longer, occasional drive - rent a car if necessary.

How's the maintenance on a scoot if you ride it regularly? What do you have?
escooter---- its pathetic and electric.
you can do so much better.
any motorcyle is high maintenance compared to a car if used as much as a car.
many purchase small units as basically throwaway like mine.

[CENTER] [/CENTER]

Old 08-22-2009, 08:03 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
I'm not a scooter guy, more of a cyclist. But I can tell you that there is a shop downtown called... Downtown Scooter that sells and services new and used scooters and their ads claim that they service all the scooters they sell. Furthermore it is an owner operated business.

I think if you are looking to live along the Central corridor, a scooter/bus/'occasional car rental' lifestyle would not only be doable, but positively f---ing brilliant.

ABQConvict

Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the endorsement, ABQConvict, as well as the shop info. - gotta give locals love.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 AM

3,556 posts, read 10,181,837 times
I used to rave about ABQ Vespa, but my favorite technician seems to have vanished. They won't tell me where he went. My scooter is about ready for a tune-up, I'll probably go to Downtown Scooter(although their hourly rate seems a bit steep).

For what it's worth; at this elevation, any scooter smaller than 150cc will not be able to handle the rigors of commuting. I would suggest a MINIMUM 125cc, but try for a 150cc or larger.

Motorcycling/scootering is more dangerous than driving a car, but sure is a lot of fun!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 PM

Of course you have a Vespa! - I'm going to look for a used one, although a friend keeps insisting I look at the Genuine Buddy or Stella (for reliability). Let me know if you find a tech that you like, please.

I'm thinking a 150cc is the sweet spot between enough power and not too much weight for negotiating heavy traffic. Also, cute as a little 50cc might be, that 2-stroke pollution is just too much for me to contemplate owning. Do I have to jump through lotsa hoops to get a motorcycle endorsement?

More dangerous, sure - it's just that I keep hearing horrendous things about drunk drivers - is it calculated-risk-danger or russian-roulette-danger?

Cooler and cooler, Rybert - thanks.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:08 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,731,889 times
I agree with Convict that a scooter is great for urban transport; 20 million
Vietnamese can't all be wrong!

Scooters are inherently less stable than small motorcycles (smaller wheels
mean less gyroscopic force to help keep you upright) so if a scooter-style
step-through frame is not all that important, you may want to look at the
small, 250cc motorcycle market as well as at scooters.

Mike, proud owner of an 700 lb, 1600cc Harley.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:11 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,181,837 times
I think it's easier to get your endorsement here in NM than it is in other states.

In Texas I had to take the class and then a test at the DMV. Here in NM my wife was able to get the endorsement with only the Certificate of Completion from the class, no test necessary.

When you take the class I would suggest using their motorcycles, not the scooter option. You'll walk away with a better understanding of the physics/mechanics involved. Scooters are too easy to use during the class.

I've had a few scooters in the past, as the engines get progressively larger I tell myself, "how did I live with such a small engine for so long."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque