Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 PM

655 posts, read 1,325,753 times
Lets see, well Abq is already overpopulated with its share of twenty year olds that only want to hang out at bars and malls. Do we need any more of that? 20 and moving with mommy and daddy...hmmm?

Do we attract 20's somethings who are interested in Abq for art, education, culture, the outdoors and all the great things NM have to offer, those wanting to enrich life experience?

I sure hope our reputation is not that bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,433,371 times
When I was twenty I was living with mom and dad since I was going to college. I hope that's the case with OP and that she/he will be graduating before moving or perhaps attending grad school at UNM!?

Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM

655 posts, read 1,325,753 times
Like that positive take, karmathecat!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
There is nothing wrong with enjoying bars and clubs if you also enjoy "art, education, culture, the outdoors and all the great things NM have to offer".

To a 20 year old, the bar thing is pretty important, as we age, all the other things tend to overshadow the bars because we have spouses, SOs or we know where to find new ones without going to lame bars ;-)

ABQConvict

Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 PM

434 posts, read 1,102,532 times
Quote:
Lets see, well Abq is already overpopulated with its share of twenty year olds that only want to hang out at bars and malls. Do we need any more of that? 20 and moving with mommy and daddy...hmmm?

Do we attract 20's somethings who are interested in Abq for art, education, culture, the outdoors and all the great things NM have to offer, those wanting to enrich life experience?

I sure hope our reputation is not that bad!
Emm yeah.. I am Im going to college full time and working 25+ hours a week. I saved up with my own money and now own a 2008 BMW 335i....I plan on living with them for awhile, maybe ever try getting my masters. And until Im through with college, I will be at home. I see no problem saving as much money as possible before Im on my own. Id like to have a good chunk of change for a down payment on a home.

So I don't appreciate your haste accusations of me before you know the slightest thing about me. Its overpopulated with 20 year olds that want to go to the mall and bars/clubs because thats what were/their into.....It's like that in every area, you don't hear about to many 20 year olds moving somewhere for the "beautiful artwork" or "majestic sunsets". Your living in your own fantasy world.

And again thats not what I plan to do all the time. I would go to the bars/clubs maybe once a month.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,868,733 times
When I was a young one, but of legal drinking age, and went to UNM, there were plenty of places to go out. Downtown had B.O., Brewsters, some other clubs. There were the CW dance clubs for people who wanted to hang out and dance and drink beer (Midnight Rodeo was the one I went to but something else has taken its place). I had friends drag me to a cheesy club called Babes in the NE hts which was basically a pick-up place and was no fun. We used to hang out at Billys Long Bar after working the dinner shift at nearby restaurants and for happy hour. I really liked Billys. Its still there - I'm just not.

There is more in Nob Hill now - like Kellys.

Weeknights were filled with promotions to get people in - like $3 pitcher nights, etc... and I knew a lot of people who went out to the clubs/bars on those nights and saved the weekends for parties, staying home and watching movies, or working.

If it has not changed too much in the past 15 yrs, you should have stuff to do. I had more than enough to compete with the time I was supposed to be studying.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,102,532 times
Sounds like a good time!! Thanks for the info

Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 AM

24 posts, read 55,491 times
Jayley, I may not be of much help. I just moved to the area. But we've ventured out towards the Nob Hill area and there are some nice places. It's a hip area. I wouldn't say it's a "younger crowd" it was really mixed the night we went out, but there were several bars around and we all really had a great time. And yea it'll be a bit of a drive from Rio Rancho but if it's something you're doing just on occasion it shouldn't be too bad. And I saw you're not really into art...what about music? I was just introduced to the Journal Pavilion last night. It's a great venue! Great place to see bands. Large enough for big names but not so big that you feel miles apart!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
The downtown scene is younger than the Nob Hill scene by far.

Not that there aren't a lot of younger people in Nob Hill, just that Nob Hill attracts a very broad demographic from 20-somethings to 60-somethings, while downtown is the coming-of-age, fratboy, hipster scene almost to exclusivity.

ABQConvict

Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 AM

71 posts, read 190,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
I search and there isn't much about a night life for young people in Albuquerque. Is there any good clubs? Me and my parents might move to Rio Rancho in a couple years they just want to make sure that its a place I want to live as well, I'm 20 by the way. We visited about 4 months ago and I was disappointed with the downtown area....there's nothing there! For such a huge town we didn't see much going on. Can anyone help me out? THANKS

There are plenty of clubs/restaurants/bars etc Downtown, Nob Hill, and Uptown, as well as other "gems" throughout the city.

If you really think you are "moving from one boring place to another" I'm willing to bet you are the one that is making it boring. Not to bash at all but I've never been "bored" anywhere I've been, and I've lived in towns of less than 100,000. It is what you make of it. Albuquerque isn't LA but getting drunk in a bar and interacting with people is the same everywhere.

Again, Albuquerque isn't the greatest place to be but there is no reason for anyone to feel "bored" in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque