U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM

101 posts, read 331,286 times

Advertisements

did a house search. saw so many houses I liked in this county.
1, why are so many houses available in this county?
2, what do you know about this county? school district does not matter much to me since i don;t have kids.
3. what is the potential of selling a house after several years occupation, as you tink.

Thank you so much if you could pitch in a little. I am moving f rom IL to ABQ this june. Thanks a lot
Rate this post positively

Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM

710 posts, read 2,770,163 times
The main reason for the influx of housing is all these investors who bought in 2 years ago are now trying to make the cash and go. The good news is ABQ is always growing. In fact we are one of the few markets where our home prices are still appreciating rather than depriciating.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:50 PM

thanks. finmqa1

could someone also speak more specifically about this county also?
I am a bit worried about safety issue. googled it . saw some crime incidents related to this county

Old 04-30-2007, 04:54 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,762,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelawongme View Post
thanks. finmqa1

could someone also speak more specifically about this county also?
I am a bit worried about safety issue. googled it . saw some crime incidents related to this county
The county essentially is Albuquerque, with some minor additions of non-Albuquerque closeby - by far the biggest city in New Mexico.

As in most big cities versus small towns, crime stats are higher.

However, Albuquerque's crime is largely contained to some very specific pockets and is not nearly as prevailent throughout the city / county.

If you are thinking of Bernalillo County, you are essentially thinking about the city of Albuquerque (and some small surrounding places like Tijeras).

I wouldn't be all too concerned about the crime unless you have never lived in a sizable city before (and even then I wouldn't be too worried) or if you are planning to live on some parts of the south-side (esp. South Valley).

I moved from Milwaukee, WI metro to Albuquerque (Bernalillo County) 3+ years ago and have never encountered a problem with crime.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:58 PM

thanks - enjoyEP. it definately helps.
i think we would end up in Bernalillo too. saw a lot of houses there appeal to me.
me and hubby are moving from illinois.. :-) also, do you think Bernalillo has a good growing potential>thanks

Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,762,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelawongme View Post
thanks - enjoyEP. it definately helps.
i think we would end up in Bernalillo too. saw a lot of houses there appeal to me.
me and hubby are moving from illinois.. :-) also, do you think Bernalillo has a good growing potential>thanks
No problem.

But are you now talking about Bernalillo the CITY? Or the County of Bernalillo?

Not to be confusing, but there is a town 15 minutes north of Albuquerque (connected to Rio Rancho in a part) that is the town of Bernalillo. This town, believe it or not, is NOT in the County of Bernalillo, but rather is in Sandoval County.

Bernalillo County, as mentioned above, contains Albuquerque and a few (very few) nearby smaller areas.

If it is the town of Bernalillo, indeed, crime reputation was very high there I am told for quite some time for a smaller town about a decade ago. However, I think that is changing rapidly up there with Albuquerque and Rio Rancho's growth, and you are seeing many new developments / neighborhoods, etc., in Bernalillo. I actually would live with my family (2 young kinds) in parts of Bernalillo now...and from the sound of things, I may not have a decade or so ago. I think Bernalillo the town is similar to a much smaller version of Albuquerque - they do have crime issues, but they are generally confined more into pockets and not widespread.

But I do know you can get some nice homes for the dollar that are relatively new in the town of Bernalillo.

But if you are truly talking Bernalillo County...then also yes, many great homes for the dollar here.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:53 PM

741 posts, read 2,731,294 times
Arrow angelawongme

Forgive me if I am reading something into your comments that is not there, but...
I seem to be picking up a small degree of misperception regarding the Bernalillo county area. Just for clarification, Bernalillo (the town) is actually located in Sandoval county. Albuquerque is located in Bernalillo county, just south of Sandoval county.

The number of houses available in Bernalillo county (especially compared to the surrounding area) is directly attributable to the fact that Albuquerque is the largest metropolitan area in the state. IMO, ABQ (Bernalillo county) still has tremendous growth in front of it. I think Bernalillo (the town) will also see a lot of growth as well, but not at the same rate as ABQ.

As mentioned before, the ABQ housing market is bucking the downward real estate trend now present across much of the USA, but it is nowhere near the appreciation pace that we've been seeing over the last 3-4 years. The most recent projection I've seen for the 2008 ABQ real estate market was less than one percent. Not great by any means, but it beats the pants off the bath some people are taking in other states.

Chap

Add: Whoops! Looks like EnjoyEP beat me to the punch!

Last edited by Chaparral; 04-30-2007 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Slow on the draw ;)

Old 05-01-2007, 11:06 AM

thanks a lot . I was tallking about the ABQ(Bernalillo county) thats' closer to Sandia national lab. sorry to be confusing. didno tknow there was such a pitfall about Bernalillo .
ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or