Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:02 PM

132 posts, read 346,003 times

Advertisements

I fell in love with Pakistani food when I was in NYC. I know there are a few Indian restuarants, but if anyone has had Pakinstani food you know there is a difference! I looked all over the place, yahoo, restaurants and no luck

If not, are there any markets that sell the spices to make these dishes?

Thanks in advance!

Leslie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,875,324 times
If any place has ingredients I would think it would be Talin Market on Louisiana and Central.

So there really are Pakistani restaurants in NYC now? Your post has me thinking of that Seinfeld episode where he convinces his friend to open one and it tanks.

NYC was awesome for food. I lived there for 6 yrs and my husband is sick of me telling him when you went out for Chinese, you could choose what type of Chinese food restaurant by region. Same with Italian.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:19 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,436,828 times
No restaurants that I know of. You can probably get most of the spices at TaLin, Cost Plus and the grocery store.
Pakistani palau is similar to Uzbek plov and I have recipes for that. It's not hard to make and you only need a few spices, basmati rice and some vegetables and/or meat.
I did a google search and there are quite a few Pakistani recipes online.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
If any place has ingredients I would think it would be Talin Market on Louisiana and Central.

So there really are Pakistani restaurants in NYC now? Your post has me thinking of that Seinfeld episode where he convinces his friend to open one and it tanks.

NYC was awesome for food. I lived there for 6 yrs and my husband is sick of me telling him when you went out for Chinese, you could choose what type of Chinese food restaurant by region. Same with Italian.
Thanks! Yes there is an entire area in NYC that has a large Pakistani population. It's called Jackson Heights. This is the one where I used to go to (warning, causes serious "mouth watering")

Haandi Restaurant - New York Restaurant - MenuPages Pakistani, Indian Restaurant Search

LOL..I remember that Seinfeld epsiode. Too funny. I miss the PIZZA, Ray's and the other one. Haven't found any to compare to NYCs. Do you know of any NYC style pizza here? I'll check out Talin...
Thanks again!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
No restaurants that I know of. You can probably get most of the spices at TaLin, Cost Plus and the grocery store.
Pakistani palau is similar to Uzbek plov and I have recipes for that. It's not hard to make and you only need a few spices, basmati rice and some vegetables and/or meat.
I did a google search and there are quite a few Pakistani recipes online.
Thanks karma! I've noticed lot's of recipes online as well. What started this craving was talking to my friend on skype who is in Pakistan. He's always talking about these wonderful dishes and it's killing me

Guess I'll just have to make them myself. Thanks for the suggestions on the stores!

Leslie

Old 09-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLIABQ View Post
Do you know of any NYC style pizza here? I'll check out Talin...
Thanks again!
I don't really, but I do like Dions Pizza and Giovanni's Pizza. That's probably as close as I have gotten - they are both quite good.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:33 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,436,828 times
Giovanni's is definitely as close as you can get.
Skip Dion's.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:50 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,190,135 times

Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Ah, knew you'd break out Babu! Rybert you never fail.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,190,135 times
I'm pretty predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque