U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM

197 posts, read 232,320 times
Default westside to downtown commute time question

Hello, I have an interview in downtown Albuquerque on Monday at 9am. I live by cottonwood mall, and currently work on the northside of town. So i've never had to drive downtown during morning rush hour. (until now, lucky me)

So, say you're leaving cottonwood mall, Coors to Paseo East, traffic builds approaching Jefferson, bumper to bumper trying to get on I25 south.

How long do you think that would take? leaving cottonwood and getting on I25 all the way to like Central & 2nd St.

Does that congestion trying to get on I25 continue after you get on I25? I know it can vary day to day, but just looking for any general thoughts... I'm thinking 30+ minutes with traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,386,304 times
My husband does a similar commute and at that time would take Coors to Montano, east to 2nd Street and S to Central if there was an indication of congestion on I-25.

The congestion on I-25 usually continues off and on to Montgomery and then there is better traffic flow and then it picks up again as you near the Big I.

If you have an interview at 9, leave at 8 and then you will have plenty of time in case of unexpected delays.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:20 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,637,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus2abq View Post
How long do you think that would take? leaving cottonwood and getting on I25 all the way to like Central & 2nd St.
Why not get on 2nd and run it south?

You could either get on 2nd at 2nd and Paseo or go a bit further south on Coors to Montano,
then Montano to 2nd.

I honestly don't know which of the Paseo / 2nd or the Montano / 2nd routes would
be faster, but I'd think that either would be faster than Paseo / I-25 / Central..

Old 09-24-2009, 01:21 PM

114 posts, read 131,754 times
I don't live on the west side but several times the TV stations have done clock time trials of getting from the west side to downtown - times ranged from 30 minutes to an hour if I remember correctly. I-25 at that times fluctuates from moving fast to a moving parking lot. Good luck on the interview.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 PM

5,554 posts, read 8,810,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus2abq
How long do you think that would take?
... all the way to like Central & 2nd St.
If I was going to have an interview near rush hour, I'd leave
an hour and a half early and enjoy a nice, leisurely breakfast
close to there beforehand.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM

750 posts, read 1,858,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
... I'd leave an hour and a half early and enjoy a nice, leisurely breakfast close to there beforehand.
Good call. But I'd make that 2 hours early, as the worst of the traffic tends to occur between 7:15 and 7:45 on the west-to-east commute corridors. You'd then have plenty of time to enjoy a nice breakfast and get your mind "right" for the morning's business.

Might I suggest Gold Street Caffe? Good coffee and the best (glazed) bacon in town.

Chap

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 PM

2,799 posts, read 4,001,988 times
Wouldn't recommend it for your interview, but if you do get the job, rapidride gives pretty good service from Cottonwood to Downtown.

Not for speed, but for ease of parking. Downtown has a free circuit shuttle bus.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 PM

114 posts, read 131,754 times
If you'll notice - the people here tend to know that too many of the locals think the interstate roads are the fastest - I tend to take the back streets many times (much faster in many cases) or the local street ways (2nd or 4th - 4th moves pretty fast).

Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 PM

16,450 posts, read 16,181,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus2abq View Post
Less than an hour drive if you just take 2nd street. Alameda from Cottonwood East to second street.

Rich

Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM

5,554 posts, read 8,810,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Appraiser
I tend to take the back streets many times (much faster in many cases) or the local street ways (2nd or 4th - 4th moves pretty fast).
This is good advice.

The surface streets move just about as fast busy as they do empty.

The interstates can be a variation of 10x!!

Once you know the time for surface streets, you KNOW the time.

The trick is knowing when the interstates will be fastest and THEN ...
... not getting stuck in some unexpected bottleneck.

When I see those, I always bail.
Sometimes, I'm wrong, but at least I'm not stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque