Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,725 times

Advertisements

so, i have been doing some research and it's all a bit overwhelming.
i am planning to move to new mexico next summer and attend unm @ abq in the fall. i'd rather not live immediately in abq (unless you know something i don't). i'm looking to rent a home (not condo, apartment building, etc) about fifteen to thirty minutes out of the city. i'm moving from a city, so i'm looking for a more rural feeling. i'd like to be nearer to the mountains, but basic conveniences should be relatively close by (15 minutes for a 'large' grocer is okay). i've been (trying to) research the Tijeras, corrales, east mountains area, but it's always better to ask people that know.
based upon my single college student-ness, family-life stuff and schools and that sort of thing aren't much of a concern, but my budget is.
this is where (hopefully) you can help.
i plan on making a trip this winter and spend a couple of weeks making decisions, but i'd like to have a solid gameplan so i can utilize my time in nm.
ideally, i'd like
. semi-rural
. 15-30 minutes outside abq (at least outside of the main hub of the city)
. not an apartment building, but rent under 900 $

if you could maybe provide some insight into the outlying areas of abq and the rental situations, that is much appreciated
also, these places that i've mentioned- are they particularly industrial; are they more like the nm 'villages' ??

thank you for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,935 times
Check out Los Lunas. http://www.city-data.com/city/Los-Lunas-New-Mexico.html

Old 10-02-2009, 03:59 PM

105 posts, read 239,493 times
To get that "rural" feeling most people move to the "east mountains (Tijeras - Edgewood, etc.)". I live about 11 miles south of IH-40 for several years - took an hour on many days - and winter time (with snow) added to the travel time and when you went to town (ABQ) and had something later that evening, you didn't go home for a quick snack or a clean up - you stayed in town and did something else (usually work). The commute to Los Lunas (as shown above) can be as long sometimes but that has been improved with the RailRunner ( Official Site of the New Mexico Rail Runner Express ). But I'd also suggest that you check out the statistics on other factors too - crime, auto theft, etc.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
East Mountains (incl. Tijeras) are your best bet especially if you are on a budget. I wouldn't rule out renting near campus for your first semester or so, though.

ABQConvict

Old 10-03-2009, 01:32 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
I'd suggest a small apartment/guest house/casita in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque (hope I said it right!). Prices are well within your range of $900, you get the village feel, but are actually "in town". They're often posted on craigslist as "NW Valley".

Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
I suggest renting right next to the campus, like the student ghetto.

Albuquerque is semi-rural even in its urban areas in ways that many cities are not (unpaved alleys in spots, old houses with big lots in spots). If you're coming from a more archetypal denser city, you may not need the rural commute.

I'd be sure that the true rural was the only way to go before I committed to a ridiculous hourlong commute every day (more if you can't get your classes in a solid block). Outside of downtown and rio rancho/west side bedroom communities, UNM is what I would call the third largest source of rush-hour traffic in our fair metro area, edging out Sandia Labs. Before you add to that misery, try the walking/biking-distance thing.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _orangepeels View Post

thank you for any help
The only help / advice I have after reading your opening post is this:

Capital letters are your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque