Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,027,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral
... most vehicles tend to remain harmless stationary objects ...
They are most definitely NOT harmless.

Have you ever left a bar and ran into the back of one of those things?
I bet not or you wouldn't be posting such nonsense.

I have done this a BUNCH of times and I can tell you
IT - DOES - NOT - FEEL - GOOD!!

( The worst is when it happens driving my single occupant bicycle. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:47 AM

741 posts, read 2,914,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Have you ever left a bar and ran into the back of one of those things?
I bet not or you wouldn't be posting such nonsense.

I have done this a BUNCH of times and I can tell you
IT - DOES - NOT - FEEL - GOOD!!

(The worst is when it happens driving my single occupant bicycle. )
"Last time I checked, most vehicles tend to remain harmless stationary objects until a human being climbs behind the wheel or handlebars."

Fixed. My bad.

Chap

Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 32,601 times
[quote=Andros 1337;11290744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abgofet View Post

Interesting point, although it seems to leave out one fact: ABQ RIDE has signed a contract for 94 options with New Flyer for 60-foot articulated hybrid buses. This contract was signed when ABQ RIDE ordered the 6900-series New Flyer DE40LFR buses. 25 of those options have been piggybacked on by MBTA Bus in Boston. ABQ RIDE can of course exercise some of these options into orders, so I would probably say the earliest ABQ RIDE can get the buses into service would be either in December 2010 or January 2011.

In addition, ABQ RIDE has signed options with New Flyer for 68 40-foot hybrid buses. When ABQ RIDE decides to replace the 300-series buses, I am guessing ABQ RIDE will exercise some of these options.

Now, what I am really curious about is what will ABQ RIDE order to replace the remaining 400-series buses when the time comes. ABQ RIDE's contract with New Flyer is only valid for 40-foot and 60-foot buses. There will definately be a need for some smaller buses on certain routes such as the D-RIDE and the 51 Atrisco/Rio Bravo. In addition to New Flyer, some other options might be Gillig, NABI, Orion, and ElDorado.
Andros...

The earliest they could use any of these 92 New Flyer options would be July 2010 when the grant funding becomes available. Add to this the time it takes to put one of these options into affect, and the turnaround time it will take New Flyer to actually build and deliver these buses (so far the average has been 9 months), and the additional time it takes to install and configure the AVL, GPS, WIFI and GFI computer hardware systems on each of these buses... you are still looking on the outside of 1 year from purchase date (July 2011) befor any of these buses actually hit the road.

Personally, from experience, I believe this timetable to be overly optimistic (but not impossible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: