Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would it take to be more competitve with Santa Fe, NM?
City-wide beautification program. 6 31.58%
More aggressive promotion of city. 5 26.32%
Professional sports team. 1 5.26%
More museums and arts. 2 10.53%
More family attractions. 1 5.26%
Improved transportation system. 2 10.53%
Not sure. 1 5.26%
Leave it like it is. 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:19 AM

142 posts, read 731,694 times

Advertisements

This forum needs a little more viewer participation.

What would it take to make the greater Albuquerque area more competitive with Santa Fe, NM.

I've heard many people say they have been to Albuquerque, NM but couldn't remember anything but the airport.

I've heard this statement more than a few times - "I just fly into the airport and make a bee-line up I-25 north to Santa Fe".

What would it take to make people notice this city?

Last edited by Informer; 04-24-2006 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2006, 12:40 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,611 times
I think the first thing anyone notices when they arrive in a city is the skyline.
We need more downtown skyscrapers and if they would build them in true southwestern style design, that would make an impression.We live in a desert so I think we need more desert plants around the city,like around the Big I, instead of those little forest trees that look fake they planted. It reminds me of a Flagstaff in the desert, it just dosent look right. Also we need a sports team to attract visitors and more high end shopping centers like they have in smaller towns in smaller states.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:28 AM

Arrow Poll stats...

Okay people - were doing pretty good here , 142 views and 6 votes.

Feel free to vote - I just wanted some opinions and maybe a little discussion.

I'am inclined to think that Albuquerque can *never* compete with a world class city such as Santa Fe.

Please feel free to comment .

Thanks for the input councilor...

Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 53,544 times
Well informer,
I think that if you "Promote It" "They Will Come!"...Albuquerque has a charm that I haven't felt anywhere else and I do meen it. I'm a recovering Truck Driver and been to even Painsville Alabama...and I do remember Albuquerque better than most everywhere else...

Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Default Desert Landscaping

Yes, when I see pine and spruce trees around ABQ I think why? How about native cactus or native plants? Phoenix has too much non native plants and it doesn't look right and now they have to cope with humidity from all the trees and grass and all that water it takes to keep it up. We need natural native plants around ABQ. I feel sorry for those poor spruce trees that don't like heat and I've seen even aspens! Wow, talk about being way off! What about natural lava rocks spread out over the barren areas with large natural New Mexican rocks placed about? There are many species of plants that grow in New Mexico and we use very little of it. Instead I see non native populars, apsens, spruce, pine and the like. We are not Colorado. What about sculptures from our Native Americans and Latino communities placed about around the freeways? What about flags New Mexicans make that represent themselves and put up on poles? What about giant sand paintings? Just ideas but these things would give people coming through something to remember instead of seeing spruce trees.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
How about a serious crackdown on crime and improvement of public transportation?

Old 05-18-2006, 12:51 AM

Default Were Listening...

"How about a serious crackdown on crime and improvement of public transportation?"

Well, Rail-Runner is public light rail service to be up and running by Fall 06 and
scheduled to run from Santa Fe, NM all the way down to Belen, NM.

Rio Rancho has just contracted with ABQ Transit to begin bus service into Rio Rancho, NM.

I don't quite comprehend - "serious crackdown on crime" - you mean the Police Officers should be doing their jobs better or do you mean we need more Police presence?

Cheers...

Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,611 times
Default Police

We need more police in this city and more in bad areas of town, The police that we do have abuse their powers and make it known they are in charge. One cop wanted to tow my truck because he said I had an attitude problem, and that was because he was searching me infront of traffic for no insurance and speeding.Ive heard of other incidents with these police. Last year a cop was arrested for raping a girl, another for assalting men and women, and others for DWI, they think they own this town.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:15 PM

Arrow Councilor j...

Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j
We need more police in this city and more in bad areas of town, The police that we do have abuse their powers and make it known they are in charge. One cop wanted to tow my truck because he said I had an attitude problem, and that was because he was searching me infront of traffic for no insurance and speeding.Ive heard of other incidents with these police. Last year a cop was arrested for raping a girl, another for assalting men and women, and others for DWI, they think they own this town.
I've never encountered a Police force anywhere in the USA that didn't have a certain percentage of "redneck" cops. So I agree with what you say to a point.

However, wouldn't a "serious crackdown" on crime include speeders and DWI's?

Cheers...

Old 05-21-2006, 06:32 PM

9 posts, read 27,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S.
How about a serious crackdown on crime and improvement of public transportation?
I couldn't agree more! I would even go so far to say....serious clean up of gangs, drugs, murders, violent crimes, drunk drivers, etc, etc.
Oh, I know, how about improving the 80% welfare and poverty rate.... And dare we even discuss the school system....??
It seems the only people, who "love" Abq and feel it has a certain "charm" are non-natives. Very few natives, true blue folks who were born there, grew up there and witnessed the decline and fall of Abq can relate.....sorry to say.

You know it "used to be" the south valley was really the only bad area of Abq....that spilled over to the whole SW area of Abq....Westgate Heights, etc. That spread over to NW Abq....only not as bad due to Taylor Ranch, Paradise Hills. Now those areas are just as riddled w/gangs, drugs, crime. Then the seediness/ghetto-like atmosphere invaded the SE sector, then the lower part of the NE Heights are....you know the "war zone". Then people were like...."well we've still got the far NE Heights....sad to say, gangs and drugs, here it comes. No one is safe in ABQ, or immune to the spread of the ghetto that Abq has become. Look around you people! Don't you think it is odd that there are tons of closed down rotting businesses and buildings, yet they continue to throw new buildings up at the speed of light. Give them a few yrs and they'll stand empty as well. Businesses try to open there and fail....why, because 80% of Abq is poverty stricken. These people thrive on welfare and the dollar stores. Going to Walmart is like a a vacation! Ever think it is strange that there is a Walmart on practically every corner.....? Along w/dollar stores?
Like I always Abq is seriously made up of: car dealerships,( huge to itty bitty, they line every major street), Walmarts, Dollar stores, **** and liquor stores.
In a nutshell that is Abq for 'ya.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque