U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-03-2009, 01:15 AM

4,091 posts, read 2,889,464 times
Default Tax increases on the way....

KOB.com - Richardson: tax increase inevitable next year (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1228815.shtml?cat=504 - broken link)

None of us here in Santa Fe are surprised. He increased state government by 50% over the last few years, spent a half billion on a train, and now he's out of money. Who would have guessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-03-2009, 04:18 AM

246 posts, read 341,574 times
Angry Death & Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post

KOB.com - Richardson: tax increase inevitable next year (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1228815.shtml?cat=504 - broken link)

None of us here in Santa Fe are surprised. He increased state government by 50% over the last few years, spent a half billion on a train, and now he's out of money. Who would have guessed.

That is what you get when you elect a tax & spend liberal. I wonder just how he thinks he'll get more taxes out of an already relatively poor population in the middle of a recession and with a jobless rate that hasn't been this high since 1983?

--BtK

Unread 11-03-2009, 07:02 AM

3,667 posts, read 4,743,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
That is what you get when you elect a tax & spend liberal. I wonder just how he thinks he'll get more taxes out of an already relatively poor population in the middle of a recession and with a jobless rate that hasn't been this high since 1983?

--BtK
he doesn't think? Isn't he supposed to be gone pretty soon?

Unread 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM

821 posts, read 2,318,302 times
All of the other states plus the Federal Government have huge deficits and the only way to raise revenue to recover is to either increase taxes or cut costs or a combination of the two. When services start getting cut way back the citizens complain, when taxes increases are proposed the citizens complain. Because of the recession the states have lost billions in tax revenue and the federal government has cut back in the money given to the states. Where do you think the governors can get money to pay for their budgets?

Unread 11-03-2009, 08:31 AM

2,783 posts, read 3,783,912 times
I wouldn't be at all surprised, based on current price trends, to see oil & gas royalty revenues pick back up and cover a lot of the shortfalls. NM, like Alaska, is funded by its resources in addition to its taxpayers. Now if I could only figure out why Arizona is paying less for gas than N.M. when much of their gas comes from our refineries...

Crocodile tears for the governor are completely unnecessary.

Surpluses and shortages will occur until the end of time; decrying any particular administration for being at fault for this shows a real lack of understanding and is akin to blaming the weatherman for ruining your holiday plans.

Unread 11-03-2009, 08:51 AM

3,696 posts, read 5,858,794 times
So, my Steve Stucker Voo-Doo doll has never been needed? What a waste of time that was.

Unread 11-03-2009, 09:50 AM

5,552 posts, read 8,418,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
.... decrying any particular administration for being at fault for this
shows a real lack of understanding ...
It is clear that Richardson was a spendthrift.

There are a number of reports now surfacing that predicted
the current budget crisis.

Not recognizing a big spender when you see one
shows a real lack of understanding.

I'm on record as being against the $500M Railrunner expansion
to Santa Fe. Not recognizing that as a total waste of money
shows a real lack of understanding.

Quote:
.... and is akin to blaming the weatherman for ruining your holiday plans.
Hardly.

Humans have no control over the weather.
Richardson had control over how many $100k+ appointees he made.

Quote:
.... oil & gas royalty revenues ...
Norway has those.

Richardson spent it all as fast as it came in.

Norway invests the proceeds and lives off the revenues that area spun off.

You are on record as saying that investing in stuff that spins off
actual money is a stupid idea.

Unread 11-03-2009, 10:20 AM

750 posts, read 1,798,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
All of the other states plus the Federal Government have huge deficits...
This is not true. As I understand it, neither Montana nor North Dakota are running or projecting to run deficits in 2009, 2010, or 2011. Like NM, much of Montana's revenues are mineral driven. It might serve some good by seeing what the folks up north are doing right fiscally and try to mirror that here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
...and the federal government has cut back in the money given to the states.
I believe you mean given back to the states. Aside from the money that the Fed has printed out of thin air, the vast majority Federal Govt. funds come from the states. You make it sound like the states are being given gifts from dear old Uncle Sam. (To be fair, NM does receive more from DC than it contributes.) The states, overall, would be better served by keeping more of their revenues at home, and sending less to fund the bureaucracies and special interests in DC.

/rant

Chap

Unread 11-03-2009, 10:42 AM

2,783 posts, read 3,783,912 times
First, I dislike the changes city-data has made with regard to quoting. I can quote mortimer directly but I can't quote his quotes, so it's all out of context if I try. Anyone have a suggestion? Maybe I missed a checkbox?

Anyway, wow, mortimer. You have a burr under your saddle, boy?

Let's see some of these sources on reports now surfacing. I'd like to take you at your word that they exist but if they come from, say, the NM budget dept, or the Albuquerque Journal, that's a little different than, say, the National Enquirer, and I don't think I'm the only one who'd like to know how to weigh your assertions and be a little more informed on the topic.

According to sunshinereview.org, NM state's facing a $653M short-term deficit on a $14.96B long-term budget (4%). This is hardly worth the sound and fury we're seeing, and easily fixed.

You can complain all you want about the Rail Runner, but it's not the cause of the shortfall any more than the other $14+B worth of stuff is. Until you or someone you support wins the governorship on a platform of "the rail runner is our scapegoat and the cause of all our ills and I will axe it from the budget, causing balanced budgets from now until the end of my term", it's not really up to you about whether the program was well-conceived, or a waste of taxpayer dollars.

In the 1950's the interstate highway program was a huge spend of taxpayer dollars. It generated no direct revenue from tolls or usage fees. Most stretches of interstate at the time (and even some to this day) saw nowhere near the amount of traffic necessary to justify their expense on a piecemeal basis. I'm sure some people complained about the program (look at those unprecedented-to-date deficits the government ran as it got built out and expanded!), but I feel confident today that 50 years later, those people were wrong. I think history will bear out a similar result on the rail runner.

Quote:
You are on record as saying that investing in stuff that spins off
actual money is a stupid idea.
You're going to have to cite that, mortimer, because that doesn't sound like me. I think it sounds like a straw man version of a bad analogy to something I said. I'll be happy to take that back if you can show otherwise.

Anyway, death & taxes.. what are you going to do? Hopefully not too much complaining.

Unread 11-03-2009, 11:44 AM

5,552 posts, read 8,418,726 times
Quote:
First, I dislike the changes city-data has made with regard to quoting. I can quote mortimer directly but I can't quote his quotes, so it's all out of context if I try. Anyone have a suggestion? Maybe I missed a checkbox?
You can manually quote stuff by copying the QUOTE code inside the square brackets.

[quote=name + ']' gives you the quote
......................... finish it off with the [/QUOTE +']'

You can quote a quote by nesting.

[quote=name01 + ']' [quote=name02 + ']' [quote=name03 + ']'
stuff written by name03 [/QUOTE + ']'
stuff written by name02 [/QUOTE + ']'
stuff written by name01 [/QUOTE + ']'

Is that what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by name01
Quote:
Originally Posted by name02
Quote:
Originally Posted by name03
stuff written by name03
stuff written by name02
stuff written by name01
I don't know if this helps or not.

Once I have the [quote= bit, then I just put a different name in
when I want to quote someone else. I can also customize it:

[QUOTE=Zoidberg loves spending money on the Rail Runner + ']' Money Money Money [/QUOTE +']'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg loves spending money on the Rail Runner
Money Money Money
Note that "QUOTE" can also be "quote" -- it doesn't have to be upper case.

Last edited by mortimer; 11-03-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque